PDA

View Full Version : 92 S&W CTGE. Serial # I188xxx

Lounan
May 9, 2010, 08:53 AM
I recently inherited this revolver and was told my grandfather carried it while chief of police in a small midwestern town 80+ years ago. Is it possible to get info on something this old?

Bill DeShivs
May 9, 2010, 01:09 PM
Only if you give accurate information!
I can guarantee it doesn't say "92 S&W." More likely .32.
Post pictures and we can tell you more.

Archie
June 2, 2010, 05:12 PM
The serial number beginning with "I" may indicate it is an "I" frame. The "I" frame was a precurser to the "J" frame and was essentially a small frame revolver in either .22 long rifle or .32 S&W (Long).

The "I" frames date from the early part of the last century and were popular for their convenient size and weight.

We have now exhausted my information.

I must confess, when I saw the title "92 S&W CTGE" I was wondering when the riot would form in preparation for being the first to buy one.

RJay
June 2, 2010, 07:55 PM
So far AIK ( and there is a lot I don't know ) S&W issued no serial numbers with an I prefix, I frame, M frame, J frame or what ever.;)

James K
June 2, 2010, 08:09 PM
In fact, S&W issued no serial numbers with letter prefixes or suffixes before the Victory Model. It was post-war before they began to use letters to distinguish models by serial number. Before that a given serial number could appear on any of a dozen or more different guns.

I am almost certain that that "I" should be a "1".

Jim

Wisesfour
August 29, 2015, 10:42 AM
How would I find out the possible value of my H&R, MK II, 92 (not .32) S&W? I know it's rare and was used by the British police during WW II? But, I'm thinking of selling and would like any history or value of the gun. Thanks

Lucas McCain
August 29, 2015, 10:49 AM
The best source for S&W info is the S&W forum. And awful lot of knowledge there.
Sorry I technoclly challenged and don't know how to add a link.

Wisesfour
August 29, 2015, 10:50 AM
Thank you

Lucas McCain
August 29, 2015, 10:58 AM
On a second thought when .357 is converted to metric it is very close to 92.

gyvel
August 29, 2015, 02:35 PM
How about some photos? They would help immensely. Sounds like you have a H&R Defender which the British purchased during WWII when they were desperate for arms. The caliber is .38 S&W, (not .38 S&W Special), and the guns aren't especially rare. Without a picture it's practically impossible to see the context in which "92" is used, but, if it's a metric caliber designation (which the Brits did not used in WWII), it's most likely "9.2."

Again: Pictures, please.