PDA

View Full Version : accu-strut for mini-14?

jambrdly
May 3, 2010, 10:16 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this accu-strut device for the Ruger mini-14? Does it significantly improve accuracy? http://www.accu-strut.com/

riverwalker76
May 3, 2010, 10:34 PM
I'm kind of skeptical of them, but that's just my opinion. I have a new model Mini-14 Tactical that gets better groups than the one shown, and it's factory. I think the shorter barrel on the new tactical models make the difference more than anything.

Go talk to these guys. They're the ones to talk to about Mini-14s. They specialize in the Mini-14.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

benogil
May 3, 2010, 10:50 PM
Reports from the forums give extremely tight groups from the tacticals. With the older mini's and an accustrut these can be as good as a tactical, Some of the older mini's may also require cryo, trigger work, and bedding to get there.

DnPRK
May 3, 2010, 10:55 PM
I installed a Mo-Rod and 0.045" gas bushing 2 weeks ago, but I haven't had time to shoot it yet. I also replaced the sloppy loose wood stock with a tight fitting factory composite stock.

Bamashooter
May 4, 2010, 12:08 AM
i have a 580 series with the thin barrel, not the tapered barrel. i installed an accustrut, wilson 1911 recoil buffers, took apart the gas block, sanded the surfaces and retorqued the screws when i reinstalled it. i cant say what changed my rifle, but i was denting the brass very badly about half way down the case. my accuracy was pretty good before, but it would open up after it heated up. since i made the changes my groups are twice as good as they were before. when the rifle heats up it no longer strings the shots. my brass is no longer dented like they were before. i can honestly shoot near moa all day long. the accustrut made a huge diffrence in this particular rifle. ive also had some work done on the trigger by a local smith. the accustrut is definatly as advertised. i think the buffers and gas block work was important also, but the accustrut works.

KMO
May 4, 2010, 08:23 AM
I think there is plenty of evidence out there to demonstrate the positive effect of mounting a barrel stabilizer of this type, particularly on the Mini-14's with the traditional barrel. Remember to shop around though...;)

rickyrick
May 4, 2010, 08:37 AM
So, does any one product stand out as better than the other?......I have seen the Accu-strut, Har-bar and the Mo-rod ads. Has anybody tried all three?

joehorner
May 4, 2010, 08:59 AM
I believe they all will acomplish the same result. I myself use a MoRod on a pencil barrel standerd mini. My shots have improved and the stringing is no more. The only difference is in appearence and a little weight. IMO the simple design and appearence of the MoRod worked for me. YMMV........Joe

rduckwor
May 4, 2010, 09:02 AM
I put one on my 196 series Mini and I believe it helped quite a bit.

The Mini will never be a tack driver, but mine is now capable of near MOA groups when I can do my part.

Kmar40
May 4, 2010, 08:31 PM
I'm skeptical. Accuracy Systems is the only company of which I am aware that offers guarantees regarding Mini 14 accuracy and they seem to think that truing the action is the first step to Mini accuracy. A heavy barrel is next.

KMO
May 4, 2010, 08:35 PM
I don't know of any better way for a manufacturer to combat skepticism than by the freely offered testimonials of those who have personally used a given product, such as in post #8 above.

Bamashooter
May 4, 2010, 09:43 PM
my mini is proof that it does work. accustrut, mo-rod, h-bar. they all get the job done. i wish i would have bought one a long time ago, its like a whole new rifle. im lovin it!!! :)