PDA

View Full Version : Lee double disk kit and rifle loads

Dave R
April 12, 2010, 10:18 PM
Newbie Lee Turret user here.

I just installed my double disk kit in my Lee Autodisk powder measure. I'm loading .223 with H335 powder and....

The H335 is so fine that it is spreading all over the place. It comes out the sides of the disks, drifts out the sides of the measure, etc. Messy. And it makes the disks real gritty as they slide on the base of the measure.

Is that normal for fine spherical powders and this powder measure? Would I be better using a bigger powder like Varget? (Don't want to--I really like my H335 load.)

Any other suggestions? I'm about to go back to using my RCBS Uniflow and a 2-step reloading process, rather than doing the full turret thing.

HOWUDOINGOOD
April 13, 2010, 09:02 AM
I installed the same powder measure on my lee progrsssive quite some time ago, using h335 to load .223. I don't mean to insult your intelligence on my first post, (and i'm only speaking from experience). But did you install the spacers/risers?. I would have to say that mine leaks but i would call it very minimal.hope this helps
Mark

Brian Pfleuger
April 13, 2010, 09:17 AM
Try tightening the screws that hold the hopper... The elastomer wiper should prevent leaks in that area and there should not be enough space between the disks for powder to leak.

dsv424
April 13, 2010, 09:30 AM
I also like to use H335 for .223 loads. Unfortunately it tends to leak on my Lee Claassic Turret but it is manageable. I normally make sure the hopper finger nuts are always tight. Seems I always keep checking them through the process because they can't be too tight or the hopper won't work right and of course to loose and it leaks more.

ScottRiqui
April 13, 2010, 10:41 AM
I've ordered a Lee Classic turret and the double disk kit for my Pro Auto-Disk, so I'm very interested in any answers you get (I also load .223 with H335.)

When you stack the disks, are you putting the smaller cavity on top (nearer the hopper?) I don't have the auto-disk directions in front of me, but I recall reading something to the effect that putting the larger cavity on top would cause excessive leakage because of the "ledge" formed by having the smaller cavity on the bottom.

Scott

Brian Pfleuger
April 13, 2010, 10:43 AM
When you stack the disks, are you putting the smaller cavity on top (nearer the hopper?) I don't have the auto-disk directions in front of me, but I recall reading something to the effect that putting the larger cavity on top would cause excessive leakage because of the "ledge" formed by having the smaller cavity on the bottom.

Yup.... you MUST put the smaller disk on top, otherwise the bottom disk will have a lip on it and you will never, ever get consistent charges.

Dave R
April 13, 2010, 01:14 PM
Yep. I have the smaller disk on top. I have installed the risers. (I don't think its possible to install 2 discs without them.) I have the screws reasonably tight, but I'll double check that.

Peetza, I have the Autodisk, not the Autodisk Pro. I think the main difference is the Pro has the elastomer wiper. I don't. Maybe you have the Pro?

Sounds like HOW and dsv both report some leakage, so maybe this is normal...

It not like I'm leaking enough to worry about the loss of powder, just enough that it makes the pull real gritty, and makes the area around the press look a little dusty with powder.

BTW, I had no discernable leakage with single disks and pistol powders. Only with the doubles and H335.

Caboclo
April 13, 2010, 03:01 PM
Might try replacing the disks with the charge bar. I use it exclusively, find it to be very accurate. I've not played with H335, but swapping 2 disks for one charge bar will reduce the number of gaps in the system, which can't hurt.

ScottRiqui
April 13, 2010, 03:15 PM
Also, what charge of H335 are you trying to use? I haven't used my Auto-Disk with H335 yet since I just got it, but the charge I use for .223 is 24 grains of H335, and according to the chart that came with the Auto-Disk, I should be able to get that with a single disk, using the 1.57 cc cavity. Only using one disk might alleviate some of your leakage problems.

Of course, with the powders I *have* used so far, the Auto-Disk seems to throw a lighter charge than the chart says, so it's entirely possible that I can't in fact get 24 grains with a single disk.

Brian Pfleuger
April 13, 2010, 03:29 PM
You might try upgrading to the Pro also.... it's only $22 and includes a free charge bar.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/powhan1.html

ScottRiqui
April 13, 2010, 03:34 PM
I just bought the Pro Auto-Disk, and it didn't come with a charge bar - just the hopper, body, various springs/linkages, and four charge disks.

Brian Pfleuger
April 13, 2010, 03:44 PM
The Pro Autodisk does not come with the charge bar, only the upgrade kit does... at least, so says Lee's site.

Dave R
April 13, 2010, 03:54 PM
Scott, I have found that the Autodisk throws charges a little HEAVIER than the chart would indicate. So I'm using the next disk smaller on pistol loads.

At any rate, I'm using 27 gr. of H335 (40gr. bullet.) No way to get that with one disk. And using one disk, but throwing twice, will not get me there. I get either lighter or heavier.

The upgrade kit might be worth doing. I'm looking at getting a 2nd Autodisk anyway, one for pistols with a single disk, and one for rifles with the double disk.

Also, I like the idea of the charge bar. Fewer gaps to leak...

I'm assuming the charge bar does not require the risers and double disk, right?

Fishslayer
April 13, 2010, 04:21 PM
Of course, with the powders I *have* used so far, the Auto-Disk seems to throw a lighter charge than the chart says

Same here with Bullseye & Green Dot.

Dave R
April 13, 2010, 07:44 PM
I just banged out a quick 20 rounds. I tightened the screws on the hopper as much as I felt comfortable. Still leaks, but slightly less. Between the grit of the powder and the tension of the screws, the disk would not retract by the spring. I had to help it a little.

But the leakage was less, and the throws were accurate. I weighed all 20, all all were within a needle's width on my scale. Prolly .1grain.