PDA

View Full Version : ruger mini 14 in 6.8mm ?

jambrdly
April 10, 2010, 08:30 PM
hello

Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger mini-14 in this new 6.8mm caliber? Good? Bad? Is the cartridge good for deer?

Thanks

JCB

TXGunNut
April 10, 2010, 10:03 PM
Really? Had no idea. Can't wait to see the replies! 6.8 should be fine for deer in many hunting situations.

DoctorXring
April 10, 2010, 11:11 PM

I owned a Ruger Mini in 6.8 SPC for a while. I had high hopes when
Ruger started bragging that they had "made the Mini better" in respect
to accuracy, blah, blah. I bought one, sent it to a respected Mini smith
for bedding and trigger work. Still a 3 MOA gun. Sold it. Great
rifle in principle, but not execution. (For me). Just depends on what
you want. For a semi-auto I would stick with the AR platform unless
you want a plinker or defense gun.

The 6.8 SPC cartridge has become one of my favorites. I have a couple
of bolt guns chambered for it. I would place it in the same category
as a 250 Savage for killing power, which is a compliment. Both are
very efficient cartridges producing a lot of ballistics for 100 grain
bullets and 30 grains or so of powder.

Barnes just released a superb bullet made specifically for the 6.8 SPC.
This bullet will optimize the killing power of this cartridge as it is made
for it's ballistic window and makes the 6.8 SPC a solid 300 yard cartridge
for medium game. 95 grain Tipped TSX.

good hunting, Chris

[this pic from 68forums.com]

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/doctorxring/68SPC325yards.jpg

mesabi
April 11, 2010, 11:09 AM
The guy from www.gunblast.com did a review on the 6.8spc mini 14. He had a good review for it. If I had time I would find it for ya and post it.

Big-Foot
April 11, 2010, 03:18 PM
Great rifle in principle, but not execution. (For me). Just depends on what you want. For a semi-auto I would stick with the AR platform unless
you want a plinker or defense gun.

That sounds right to me. Ruger used the old fast twist barrel specs and tight chamber. Mini-6.8 owners on the http://perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73472 forum passed around a reamer that fixed the tight chamber getting most of the performance back. The problem that I see is the 6.8 only improves on the 7.62x39 at longer range and the Mini is a medium range gun. Since 7.62x39 is so much cheaper and readily available the Mini-30 makes more sense to me. Now if the price of 6.8 ammo drops this would change because it is a more versatile cartridge.

tirod
April 14, 2010, 10:19 PM
The 6.8 isn't a 7.62 x 39 by any stretch. The 7.62 is much like the .30-30 with yards of drop at 300 yards. The 6.8 has an effective range out to 500, and a much flatter trajectory.

7.62 x 39 import ammo is inexpensive, and is basic plinker ammo with a 2-3 MOA accuracy common. 6.8 is mostly precision hunting ammo, not available at the Mart, and definitely a wildcat. Silver State Armory offers good pricing and availability, along with about 24 other ammo makers. Cabela's carries it - not as a cheap plinker round, but at the same prices of about any other hunting ammo. The last box of .30-30 Leverevolution ran me $24, Silver State and others can be found for $18.

Shooting 6.8 is for those who are looking for a modern intermediate caliber that improves on the 5.56 by extending the effective range and lethality. It's apples and oranges to compare it to a 60 year old vintage third world cartridge imported for price, not quality or hunting. Might not even be fair to it. Load the 7.62 with Sierra hollow points and good powder, the price advantage disappears, the accuracy might improve, the ballistics are still .30-30.