PDA

View Full Version : Mixed wheel weights?

zig mag roller
April 2, 2010, 08:45 PM
As a new caster I've been reading many posts trying to build my knowledge, the more I learn the more questions I have............ Here's one for example. I got a pretty decent score of W.W.'s today, 'bout 150 lbs regular and about 50 lbs. stick on. I shoot pistol mostly, low velocity target rounds out of my revolvers. I would also like to shoot 9mm out of my glock, yes I have an aftermarket Lone Wolf barrel, as not to cause problems with the stock polygonal barrel. My question is should I mix the two types of W.W.'s or are the stick on type to soft to make a good mix? Yea, I know I need to get the Lyman casting book also......................:rolleyes: Thanks for your input guys!

DiscoRacing
April 2, 2010, 08:47 PM
i would... bout 50/50 clipon/stickon

salvadore
April 3, 2010, 08:42 AM
I like to melt the stick ons seperately because they are so close to pure lead, it becomes a know factor. I also like to melt my clip ons in batches and then homogenize by melting from each batch so that your metal is all the same. It is a pain in the pooper, and the gents in here who can do 100lbs+ at a whack are miles ahead when it comes to getting a homogenous bunch of metal. I'm told is you don't plan on doing much shooting, a Lyman or RCBS luber sizer will work just fine.

Edward429451
April 3, 2010, 11:02 AM
No since it is pure lead you do not simply mix it in. DOn't you know the CAS will give you too much money for it or 2/1 weight for alloy or WW's?

This is the stuff shotgun slugs are cast from, nice and soft. This is the stuff you mix 20/1 for 45/70 slugs.

My advice, set this stuff aside and just cast with WW's. Some time in the future you will either develop a use for it or use it's worth to get you more of what you do need.

GP100man
April 3, 2010, 04:18 PM
I`m with Edward

I`d set it aside & try to trade it for WW .

If it`s mixed you just don`t unmix it !!:D