PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on an M1 Garand?

wyobohunter
April 2, 2010, 10:40 AM
I met a guy at the range the other day who had a pretty cool collection of old military rifles(Mosin Nagant, Mauser, Springfield 1903 et. al.). We started talking about... well, he started talking about the history and story behind each rifle. At some point I mentioned that I am a former Marine so of course he smiled when I immediatly asked if I could hold his Garand (IIRC it had served in the Pacific). This was a matching collectors piece made by H&R with a battle worn stock (love it!)... Not the one he's willing to sell. He is a currently out of work history teacher (I'm pretty sure) and is thinking of downsizing his collection by selling some duplicates... again, that is a bit of an assumption based on our conversation.
Anyhow, after he told me how much he paid for the one he had with him I hinted about paying him a fair amount more than that for it; it wasn't really an offer as I could tell he would never sell it, at least not at the price I mentioned.
He has one that is not so much a collector piece as it is (again, from what I recall) mostly Springfield Armory with several parts from different manufacturers. It has a new barrel, new gas cylinder, new operating rod and a pretty nice civilian stock. He says it functions reliably; as far as accuracy goes he made a circle with his fingers that looked to be about two inches to me and said it'd do that at 100 yds with him shooting... he said maybe better with my, um... chronologically advantaged optical clarity:D

He'll meet me at the range and let me shoot it (provided I pay for the ammunition) before I decide. Asking price is $800

Seems like a great deal to me, assuming the rifle meets his claims. I have no reason to doubt him as he struck me as an extremely honest person.. Heck, I could even see myself befriending him and I'm not really in the market for new friends;)

So, does $800 seem like a good price for a nice shooting reliable but non collector grade M1? I really think it sounds like a great price but up until now I've only drueled over these from afar and haven't done any serious shopping.

10-96
April 2, 2010, 11:26 AM
Around my area, that's quite a good price if it's up to snuff and in as gooda condition as he indicates. However, M1's are still available from the CMP for considerably less ($600 range?). And, the CMP rifles have been checked, inspected, eyeballed, and I guess everything short of shot.

But like I said, around Amarillo- I would expect $900 to $1100 for what you described.

Edit: The first one I bought, I paid $800 and pretty much got slipped the big green weenie. It has a 2-groove bbl (hacked and welded from a 1903A3 bbl) and possibly a very well covered-up receiver re-weld. It was the best shooting Garand I ever handled (great groups)- but then I started getting educated about them and now I'm scared to shoot it. I know I'll never get my money back out of it and I'll never re-sell it knowing it has potential problems. So, I guess I got a dang good shooting wall hanger.

Mike Irwin
April 2, 2010, 11:29 AM
Southern Ohio Gun right now has Garands for something like $450.

Flatbush Harry
April 2, 2010, 12:57 PM
Coupla thots:

1. H&R Arms made only post-WWII rifles. A "Correct Grade" HRA M1 Garand from the CMP was $975, when they were available (they are currently out of stock)

2. SA made M1 rifles from the '30s to the '60s, though production had mostly concluded by '57.

3. Most M1 Garands have been arsenal rebuilt and, accordingly, have mixed manufacturer parts. They did, however, meet milspec following rebuild.

4. Most M1 Garands shoot 3+ MOA with M2 ball ammo, but can be improved somewhat. However, they don't need it and are the most fun rifles I have ever shot (I own 4).

FH

Tim R
April 2, 2010, 02:11 PM
http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

You can save a few $ and maybe get a better rifle from the CMP. I have seen some very nice service grade SA's come out of the CMP lately.

I have a H&R correct grade. It is my new John C. Garand match rifle. I was using a SA service grade. Both shoot good but I think the H&R shoots a little better than the SA.

The only rifle I need now is a tractor to complete my collection.

velocette
April 2, 2010, 06:28 PM
+1+ on the CMP. It's the best place to get yourself a Garand at a fair price for a guaranteed GOOD rifle.
The minimal hoops that you must jump through are in reality good for you and good for our country.
Buy your genuine piece of American history from the CMP and enjoy it for many years to come. This one is mine. Purchased through the DCM (Department of Civilian Markmanship, the forerunner of the CMP) Aimpoint due to my poor eyesight.)

Roger

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/firearms12-07004.jpg

roninflag
April 2, 2010, 06:53 PM
do not get a chinese re-weld. get a one from the odcmp. the one he has sounds good too

Jekyll
April 2, 2010, 11:55 PM
Since you are a former Marine, your DD-214 qualifies you for several of the CMP criteria: membership in a shooting organization; documentation of firearms training.

Fill out the forms, get a notorization and send a copy of your DD-214 along with a check and you will recieve a very nice Service Grade for about $500.

About $800 will get you a Service Grade Special with all correct metal and a new walnut stock. It will look and shoot brand new.

chris in va
April 3, 2010, 01:01 AM
Well I'll be darned. Sure enough, my DD-214 qualifies me for both the club membership and marksmanship training requirements according to the CMP website. Here I thought I still had to belong to another club somewhere after taking my Appleseed course.

Service Grade rifles are going for $595 right now. Fields are $495.

LukeA
April 3, 2010, 08:17 AM
Spend the extra $100 for a Service at least.

Shorthair
April 3, 2010, 11:11 AM
The extra money he's asking more than covers the cost of the new pieces, the barrel alone is gonna run north of $300 to buy and have properly fit. As others have said though, there are better deals to be had.

mpd61
April 3, 2010, 11:46 AM
I would say if it has all those new parts, looks good in person, AND you get to shoot it and it's all he says it is...

Buy it.:)

TMackey
April 3, 2010, 12:03 PM
http://www.southernohiogun.com/new-arrivals/new-shipment-new-lower-price-u-s-m1-garands.html

Slamfire
April 5, 2010, 01:52 PM
SOG Garands were not commented on favorably on this thread

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?5665-Southern-Ohio-Gun-Garands-any-good&highlight=Southern+Ohio

CMP rifles are as good, usually better than the description. Though, if you have an fine Garand in your hand, it might be worth paying the premimum to keep it.

Stevie-Ray
April 6, 2010, 12:07 AM
SOG Garands were not commented on favorably on this threadI love that comment: Their "hand pick" means they picked it up by hand and put it in the box.:D

wyobohunter
April 6, 2010, 03:56 AM
Well, I bought it (for better or worse). It is plenty accurate and looks to be in really good shape. He threw in 1 lbs. of IMR 4895, a sling and 10 enbloc clips. Now if I could just get my hands on some CCI #34 primers:( All we had to shoot was some of his old 150 gr. ball ammo.

I'll post a picture and range report when I get some primers and get around to taking the pic.

Shorthair
April 6, 2010, 07:36 AM
Good for you. If its set up the way he says it was you'll be very happy with it.
My garand is a department store clearance item, bought about 20 years ago when I didn't know diddly about them. I did all the home accurizing mods and with handloaded 165 grain sierra hpbt I shoot one inch groups at one hundreds yards. The strangest thing is I'm pretty sure the barrel is shot out. Go figure.
Looking forward to pics.

doctruptwn
April 6, 2010, 09:03 AM
Seems like a good price with the exra's, You can get better deals sometimes, But you know what you got and obviously it shot as advertised.

Logs
April 8, 2010, 05:39 PM
I read the reviews on the SOG guns but bought two at the $429 price so we will see next week if they are junk or a good buy.

I have extra parts laying around so I am betting it will be okay for plinking bowling pins.

chink
April 15, 2010, 05:48 PM
I got one today. I posted some pictures here http://picasaweb.google.com/garrick.chang/Garand#

robmkivseries70
April 15, 2010, 08:36 PM
By all means, let us know how they shoot!
Best,
Rob

cobra81
April 15, 2010, 09:26 PM
Now if I could just get my hands on some CCI #34 primers
You don't need 'em. I've run thousands of plain ol CCI 200 or WinLR primers in my M1 loads and never had a problem. Biggest thing is making sure you get the primers fully seated in the pocket. Never leave one above flush.

Dan K. Evans
April 16, 2010, 03:32 PM
I was not pleased with my Garand from SOG. It was advertised as in good condition and mechanically sound. I paid $700 three years ago. So far I have repaired then replaced the op rod, all the springs, the bullet guide, new en blocs, and most recently the clip latch and spring. I seldon am able to fire an entire en bloc. Most often the clip ejects after two or three rounds. My error was not firing the gun during the refund period. I'm still working on it. Good luck with your purchase. Dan