PDA

View Full Version : M1A Socom

pinkerpv
April 1, 2010, 08:37 PM
I have been wanting to get an M1A for quite awhile. I have found a Socom that I really like but a friend who has an M1A rifle told me that the muzzle flash and report of the Socom is more than the rifle. Anyone have any experience with the Socom and can comment on this?

Lavid2002
April 1, 2010, 08:56 PM
It would make sense.... a .22 from a pistol is WAY louder than a .22 from a rifle.

H&kusp45
April 1, 2010, 09:01 PM
Yes I love my socom... If you have questions ask the guys at m14tfl.com very knowledgeable on m1a's

azredhawk44
April 1, 2010, 09:25 PM
The 16" SOCOM does have a lot more bark and flash than the 22" rifle. Even the 18" Scout has a bit more flash than the rifle, though not as much as the SOCOM.

The SOCOM is a very different rifle than a standard M1A. The front sight is a LOT closer to the rear sight and results in a much less distinct sight picture for those with aging eyes, or a front sight that is ~15MOA wide rather than ~10MOA wide for those with good, crisp vision. Regardless, in its native form it is not a marksman's rifle like a full sized M1A is.

Add to that, your velocity is a skosh lower. Not terribly, but about 150-200fps slower. That starts to matter, out at 300/400/500 yards.

I also have suspicions that Springfield is using the substandard/1st tier reject parts to build the SOCOMs because the accuracy standards of the typical SOCOM user is lower than that of the service/match rifle crowd. No proof, just anecdotal return rates and reported problems on forums like this.

Set your expectations correctly. It is NOT the same rifle as a full sized M1A/M14.

If your intent is a CQB carbine in .308 caliber, it's a great gun.

If you want a true M1A and this happens to be available... you're in to be disappointed if you want the full M1A experience.

DanThaMan1776
April 1, 2010, 09:26 PM
yes it is true.. think about it. The power has less time to burn in the barrel and more to burn out of the barrel... meaning the bang and flash will be much greater. You also lose some terminal ballistics power and distance capabilities. However, in the 308 I wouldn't worry about it.

SmokyBaer
April 2, 2010, 11:51 AM
My 18" Scout Squad has WAY more blast than my long bolt gun and a good bit more than my 20" FNAR. I'm certain another couple inches shorter will light the nite up!! :D

SR420
April 2, 2010, 01:36 PM
You are better off getting the Scout and using a Vortex flash hider from SEI.
The M14 Vortex uses your existing castle nut and front sight, the DC Vortex
replaces the existing castle nut, front sight and gas lock thus allowing the
use of a SEI/Fisher M14DC 0.30 Caliber Sound Suppressor... no flash emitted :cool:

pinkerpv
April 2, 2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your info.

azredhawk44; SmokyBaer; Both of your posts were what I was looking for.

H&kusp45; I checked out the m14tfl.com. Thanks

The Socom is of course lighter and its LOP is just right for me. Still thinking.

skeeter
April 3, 2010, 02:09 AM
The increased noise level and blast should not be a real consideration for you because you should not be shooting it without ear protection anyway. The muzzle brake on the Socom16 is one of the most effective ever made. This rifle may have more noise and blast than a bolt rifle in 308 but to balance that it has a LOT less recoil and muzzle rise, perfect for a self defense rifle. Also very accurate. I never had it jam.

surg_res
April 3, 2010, 09:01 AM
Why neuter the 308 by pushing it through a circumsized 16" barrel anyway? All of that noise and flash is propellant that would otherwise be pushing lead.

cjmorgan00
April 3, 2010, 09:54 AM
socom is awsome. I just don't have two and three quarter gees to put down on one. If I did I would get socom2. For a more parctical budget I would get a 16in railed PTR91 for 1400. The PTR I saw had an optics rail and 3 railed fore arm and 16in barrel also the super cool para stock.

bamaranger
April 4, 2010, 06:26 PM
Every report I've read on the SOCOM says its loud and slightly less accurate than its full size brothers. The pepper pot muzzle brake likely adds to the short bbl to compound the blast problem. I figure the accuracy issue is result of shorter sight radius. The blast can be dealt w/ in training and practice, but for a round shot "in anger" or at game, who needs it?

A brake that could be switched off might help?

Still, wish I had one.

LukeA
April 4, 2010, 06:55 PM
I was 8 feet away from a Mini-G Garand this morning and you could see the flash in the daylight and feel heat from the blast. It was rather unpleasant, even with 32dB earplugs in. The regular Garands were much easier to be around.

The Mini-G Garand has a ~16in. barrel. It is to the Garand as the Socom is to the M1A.

Haubush
April 19, 2010, 06:02 PM
I have one. Put an Aimpoint on it. At night...my night vision is all but ruined by the muzzleflash. I love it!

sonrider657
April 19, 2010, 08:30 PM
Gotta be one of the sexiest guns made! :D

wayne in boca
April 20, 2010, 03:20 AM
Socoms are loud.This is because they are RIFLES.RIFLES ARE LOUD.Sorry for yelling,it's probably because I'm hard of hearing from shooting my Socom.:D
I love my Socom.I have 22" M1As,and an 18" Scout Squad too.And I love my Socom.If you get one,you will love it too.

alloy
April 20, 2010, 05:39 AM
I enjoy shooting one, but it does clear the range out beside me a bit due to the concussive blast. Accuracy so-so compared to most, maybe 2 MOA on a good day but it's a hoot to shoot tin cans or clay pigeons at 150 yds. Flimsy stocks that use the handguard to keep them straight:) can't help the accuracy and a barrel crown somewhat coarser than a chop-saw cut.