PDA

View Full Version : Reviews on Ruger mini 14 target

Jseime
March 22, 2010, 02:07 AM
Would anyone like to chime in on the accuracy/reliability of the Ruger mini-14 target rifles with the laminate stocks? What bullet weight is the best in the 1:9 twist heavy barrels? I have no experience with the .223 but I think it would be a sweet little rig for cheap shooting fun.

I think that since the Canadian goverment has made it a royal pain to buy an AR platform rifle :rolleyes: I should just pick one of these up for shooting coyotes.

Qtiphky
March 22, 2010, 03:16 AM
I have the ranch version and it works flawlessly. Accuracy is not comparable to a decent AR but still within about a 2 inch group at 100 yards with factory loads. I haven't worked up handloads yet, but I suspect I could tighten that up a bit. The only bad thing is that it really throws the brass, I mean like into the next county. Make sure you have some sort of catcher or something next to you to knock it down, but be careful because it is really hot coming out.

KMO
March 22, 2010, 09:42 PM
If you're just going to use it for shooting varmints, why not just get the Ranch Model Mini-14? It'll do the job, and these rifles are actually much more accurate than their reputation here on the FL would have you believe...;)

IYAAYAS
March 22, 2010, 11:22 PM
Replace those gas block bushings to prevent brass from reaching outer orbit.

Re- torque the gas block screws. That alone will tighten up the groups a bit. The newer mini's come with a tapered barrel, a definite improvement over the old style.

Maybe add an acu-strut if you really want to wring more accuracy out of that gun. I got mine for $75.00, installed myself. Not sure what the cost would be if you had the work done, but its pretty easy.

The mini is a solid gun dude, don't let anyone tell ya otherwise. As someone else already stated, they are plenty accurate enough just the way they are, and squeezing more out of them isn't that difficult or expensive.

The only negative thing I can say about them has to do with the mags, not the rifle itself. I've been lucky with mine, the pro mag 20 rounders have worked flawlessly for me. I hear allot of guys having trouble though, and the general consensus is buy factory ruger mags only. Pricey.

Extremely reliable. Neither one of mine has ever given me any trouble.

Good luck!

Jseime
March 23, 2010, 12:15 AM
Well, thats pretty much it, I'll have to buy one now. I think I am going to go with the target variation and see what I can do with handloads. The brass flinging may be a small problem but .223 brass isnt exactly hard to come by.

Any advice on the ideal bullet weight for a 1:9 twist barrel?

Bamashooter
March 23, 2010, 12:39 AM
for target shooting i would use seirra 69gr. match. i reload 60gr.sierra and they are very accurate out of my modified mini. sierra has a 53gr. match bullet that is very accurate also. good shooting. :)

pbrktrt
March 23, 2010, 07:37 AM
Just keep in mind that the Target Mini is chambered for .223 only. The other variations will eat .223 & 5.56.

sthomper
January 10, 2012, 01:18 AM
is there any physical difference between the .223 rem and 5.56 nato that would make the target model not fire it properly???

Stonefly_Soldier
January 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
the neck taper is slightly different.. some rifles are 223 only(i have a savage that's like that) but most that shoot 5.56 will shoot .223.