PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Prices

TX Hunter
March 21, 2010, 07:44 PM
I have noticed that everyone is making AR 15 Style Rifles, and the are all very high.
It looks like as flooded as the market is getting with them that they would start to get cheap.
Anyone else ever thought about this.
:rolleyes:

SwampYankee
March 21, 2010, 07:50 PM
The problem is that all the dealers that have them over-paid for them 6 months ago. Once all the fear of a new AWB went away, they were left holding the bag- they have all these AR's that they over-paid for and no one wants them anymore. So the price is not going down because the dealers do not want to lose any money on them. It is a conundrum.

rjrivero
March 21, 2010, 07:59 PM
www.cdnninvestments.com download their latest catalog. There were some "cheap" ar's there.

www.cmmginc.com has a bargain bin where you can pick up some ar's at really good prices.

The deals are out there. You just have to find them. ;)

TX15
March 21, 2010, 08:02 PM
if the parts prices are any indicator. I paid $84.95 +Tax for a Double Star stripped lower yesterday at the Dallas gun show.

rjrivero
March 21, 2010, 08:09 PM
That's a sweet deal. If I run into some of those, I'll stock up. :p

XD Gunner
March 21, 2010, 08:21 PM
I just put together a mid-length, 16" AR from a Doublestar Stripped lower, and an M&A Parts upper kit. I have about $670.00 total, with purchasing the kit, lower, troy industries fixed rear backup sight, and P-Mag. Shot it the other day, works like a champ, very nice setup, heavy barrel, the whole-9.

tirod
March 21, 2010, 08:34 PM
The great American system of multi level distribution won't let them drop much. It will take an assembler buying a lot of parts in volume to drop the price.

Take lowers - even at $89, they are marked up twice or more. Let's look at the process of making one. The platter forger takes a processed billet the right shape, heats it, and drop forges it in dies to squish it into shape. It's an expensive machine and not the cheapest way to make a receiver, but it does make a strong, light part when finished. At this point, it isn't. Next is machining it to shape, which can be done in house, or shipped to a maker (like Colt.)

Once the platters are batched, serial numbered, and machined, they can be sold. So called unmachined lowers sell for less than $30 retail, trimmed to outline as they are. Machined lowers can be had by the tens or even more in bulk for a low as $50 each. Volume buying can get you HALF OFF - but you are going to buy quite a few. You will also have some kind of BATF license, which restricts available buyers to a known few.

From raw materials to unfinished product to stock on the shelf, the generic goal is 100% mark up at each step. The $50 dollar lower bought in a truckload will retail for $100 to cover the overhead, shipping, lights, building insurance, etc.

And make the payroll for all concerned at each step.

Now, a manufacturer with a furnace, drop forge, line of CNC machines, a stock room of parts inventory, an assembly area, and skilled workers to put them together could undercut the market a bit and sell a quality product for less. Problem being, there's no reason to. Competition isn't that hard, no sense cutting your throat or starting a price war when buyers are still lined up at the door.

With CMMG Bargain Bin rifles going for $599, do we really want to get one any cheaper? No, they are selling, but don't dominate the market.

In the day, an HK91 could be bought for $160 compared to a Remington 700 at $210, same caliber. Sure, an inexpensive rifle can be built - but the market is far from being so depressed that it will happen.

Of course, Americans want cheap, so look alike imports are always an opportunity. Search for the uppers being brought in from off shore and see how the unfortunate owners now feel about getting half priced junk.

orbitals
March 21, 2010, 11:29 PM
There are a lot of ever cheaper rifles out there. I've already had folks come to me to ask "why doesn't this work right anymore" or words to that effect. Usually turns out that it was the first rifle they built themselves, or close to it, they used the CHEAPEST parts they could find, and threw 'em together. It is seldom very difficult to get things working again: pull out the junk, through it out and build it again. But sometimes it's terminal.

It is good to see lot's of folks out there learning how things work, but you get what you pay for. There are good parts out there - many even better than milspec. But do you want it accurate? Do you want it to last longer? Do you want it light? Do you want all the coolest add-ons? Is it more important to you to have a nifty trigger with the perfect springs so you can relax your grip and get the gun to recoil off your trigger finger just right to give those bursts that are so much fun? You can't have all those things in the same gun. So if you want a carefully tuned trigger, the best parts there are, tritium inserts in your iron sights, MacFarland gas rings, ambi-mag release, a Gas-Buster charging handle, Vltor stock, comfy pistol grip, a one-piece rail system (not just a rail hand-guard), a civilian legal 14.5" chrome-lined barrel with bilock for suppressor you shouldn't expect it for $1,200. Ain't gonna happen. But then I find a lot of folks don't feel they need something like that. Depends what you want I guess.

UpandAtIt
March 22, 2010, 03:07 AM
I dunno, I just built my first AR, made it into a XM177E2 -A1 style (16"), the all parts except lower came from Sarco, all mil-spec / USGI and basic off the shelf mass produced parts. The barrel and vintage Nam Car stock came from Model "T" sales, the power spring kit from Wolff gun springs, 5 used Colt mags from J&G, The lower came from LRB and was the M15SA Forged. Some gadgets like a cleaning kit, sling, brass catcher etc.

I also bought the AGI AR15/M16 Gunsmithing course and the Brownells AR tool kit.

All totaled - $670 out the door (this includes the various S&H) plus my time to find the deals and patience to build from a kit and really watch the video to stay away from pitfalls and mistakes made by others before me. The video was worth its weight in gold and having the right tools on hand was perfect.

I took it out to shoot, works great, fantastic groups for a stock firearm no tricks or anything. I used Mil-Surp SS109 ammo. No issues that I know of.

In all, I feel I paid a very reasonable price for an very acceptable firearm given todays frenzy of EBR madddddddness. I believe anyone can do this. If you want or need all the EBR gadgets, sure it can get to $2000 real easy. I honestly will never be in a situation where I need the ultimate EBR, what I have created will do just fine in almost 98% of any situation up to and including SHTF.

greyson97
March 22, 2010, 09:04 AM
well, i found 2 models of really cheap ar-15 style rifles

olympic arms
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41788

and
Delton
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/55443

the delton has a lot of good features
the OA is called the plinker plus :p