PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a .22lr Ar-15 brand and model to mod

greyson97
March 20, 2010, 07:15 AM
can anyone recommend a dedicated .22lr ar-15/m4 brand and model?

(btw I'm not just asking questions i'm not gonna follow through on. i asked a henry vs browning lever action rifle question, and you guys told me to get marlin, so I have a marlin coming in the mail. should get here tuesday :) )

OK so. I have a lot of mall ninja in me, I'm not gonna fight it, i'm just gonna feed it once in a while.

I already have a real AR-15, its got a 6.5x-20x scope on it (almost as big as the gun), a bipod that attaches to my round non tactical fore grip, a straight, unthreaded, uncompensated, unflash hid heavy barrel, and a fixed stock, and a psg-1 style grip. but this is something i shoot from a bench

for fun, I want one of those .22lr ar-15 that:

comes with the most amount of metal possible (i have a GSG AK and its got so many plastic parts in it i hate it, it always jams)

a quality reliable gun

one that can accept a quad rail
has a flat top

so essentially a rifle i can mod to look just like all the high end tactical ar-15s i see posted here, but will be of a reasonable quality, and not an overglorified airsoft rifle made of plasitc

RT
March 20, 2010, 07:43 AM
I have heard favorable reviews if the S&W

rdmallory
March 20, 2010, 09:01 AM
Beat deal going is the S&W but it is has a lot of plastic. There are few companies making metal AR22 uppers and 10/22 conversions but you will quickly have over a grand in it.

Doug

LukeA
March 20, 2010, 09:19 AM
If what you care about is reliability, don't worry about the plastic parts in the Smith.

Ronbo1
March 20, 2010, 09:19 AM
Shot a regular 223 M4 style AR15 1 in 9 twist carbine with a new CMMG 22 LR conversion bolt this week. With a 1-4 Primary Arms 30mm power scope set at 4 power it was shooting a full 26 round magazine into a 1 inch group at 50 yards off a bench. I thought that was pretty good for a conversion and it never jammed or misfired once in 300 rounds. Fired some 223 through it when I was done shooting the 22 rimfire and it was not very dirty.

n7qvu
March 20, 2010, 09:33 AM
I purchased a Colt M4 .22 from Big 5 Sports. They go on sale about once a month.
Go to Colts webpage(http://colt22rimfire.com/) to see the 4 or 5 different models. My M4 is a flat-top with removable sight/handle. The lower looks 100% Colt even has the sear hole in the top portion. The rifle is built in Germany by Waltham.
I cannot say how she shoots, since my normal shooting location is closed because of too much rain.

I recall a recent Guns & Ammo had a review of the Colt.

n7qvu
March 20, 2010, 09:42 AM
^^more^^
I forgot to mention the 'plastic' word.
I do not see any on my M4. Even the handguard looks true.
Oopps - I should have said the mag appears plastic.

Double Naught Spy
March 20, 2010, 10:05 AM
The lower looks 100% Colt even has the sear hole in the top portion.

Yes, it looks 100%, but a lot is just cosmetic. The bolt release on the side of the gun is a real part, but is a non-functioning fake. In fact, the bolt doesn't even lock back on empty. The safety looks good, but has to rotate 180 degrees instead of 90 when moving from safe to fire. So if you are after a gun that functions more like an actual AR15, then the Colt is NOT the way to go. The S&W version is largely plastic and doesn't have the chamber door or shell deflector, but the bolt catch actually works and the safety rotates 90 degrees. I have 2 S&Ws.

Porbably the best way to go is to get a dedicated .22 upper to put on a regular AR15 lower (which I would be assuming that you already have). However, the cost of a dedicated upper is close or more than either the Colt or S&W .22 carbines.

I have tried the conversion kits in the past and have not been terribly pleased. Others have had better luck than me with them. I found them to not work well after high round counts and so I gave up on them. Also, shooting .22 through a regular .223 upper was fine in terms of accuracy, but caused a goodly amount of lead fouling of the barrel and muzzle brake. Before using the upper again for .223, it was cautioned that the barrel first have all the lead removed as the lead buildup could produce higher chamber pressures and be unsafe.

I really like the S&Ws, so I have a bias there. However, they are flattop and both front and rear sights can be removed. They are quad rail and so you can mount whatever accessories you like. There is a version with a flash hider and a version without. The "with" version costs about $10 more. I don't have them and wish I did because if I ever want to add a suppressor, I would have to pay to have the barrel threaded. However with that said, the flash hider probably doesn't do a whole lot as there isn't much of a flash from the barrel when fired at night. There are about equal parts of orange glowing powder projected from the muzzle as there is from the ejection port, but it isn't much.

The S&Ws did have a problem with OOB KBs that seem tied to using Remmington ammo. I experienced one and a blew off the extractor. S&W took care of the problem on that gun and I have not had any more issues.

Reliability? Shooting Federal 550 value pack ammo from Walmart, the S&Ws can be fine for a few hundred rounds or I might experience a fail to feed at a rate of about 1 in 100. Magazines hold 25 rounds, but I have found that they work more consistently if loaded with 24.

Accuracy is pretty good. Using a 4 MOA red dot sight, I can land my shots consistently is a 1-1.5" group at 40 yards.

Sorry, I know you don't like the plastic guns, but I don't see the plastic on the S&Ws as being a functional detraction and you get the quad rails as part of the stardard price. So it is a pretty good value.

jbowes89
March 20, 2010, 10:40 AM
The M&P 15-22 and the sig 522 are excellent.

Lloyd Smale
March 20, 2010, 01:03 PM
ive got a m&p ar22 and it hasnt missed a beat in 2000 rounds. I cleaned and oiled it after the first 1000 and found it had been run completely dry up till then and still didnt miss a beat. All ive shot is blazer threw it though so i dont know if it will feed others as well.

Microgunner
March 20, 2010, 01:21 PM
In fact, the bolt doesn't even lock back on empty.

The Colt M16 / M4 .22lr bolt does lock open on an empty magazine.

Ridge_Runner_5
March 20, 2010, 03:03 PM
I'd go with Spikes Tactical, myself.

Bolt wont lock back, but its a high quality, metal upper and lower, and accepts almost all standard AR accessories

4V50 Gary
March 20, 2010, 04:57 PM
The good thing about Spikes is that their lower is marked 22 LR. I was told that they can be finicky with ammunition.

I had the Kuehl dedicated 22 upper. It was neat, but I gave it away to a relative.

ranger dave
March 20, 2010, 05:06 PM
the question was about a 22 lr upper not the 22 lr look a likes. look up high desert dog they hake a great upper for around $500

Double Naught Spy
March 20, 2010, 07:09 PM
The Colt M16 / M4 .22lr bolt does lock open on an empty magazine.

My bad. The one I got to play with didn't. I ran several mags of ammo through it. The bolt release on the side is definitely fake, however. So when it locks back on empty, you have to pull the charging handle to release the bolt?

the question was about a 22 lr upper not the 22 lr look a likes.

Are you sure? Nothing in the OP stipulates uppers only.

look up high desert dog they hake a great upper for around $500

At the local gunshows, the S&W M&P 15-.22 is going for $340 and the Colts were under $400. I haven't seen the Sig versions.

Ky Bob
March 20, 2010, 10:29 PM
At the local gunshows, the S&W M&P 15-.22 is going for $340 and the Colts were under $400. I haven't seen the Sig versions.

I'd buy one of those if I could find them that cheap...:)

Microgunner
March 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
So when it locks back on empty, you have to pull the charging handle to release the bolt?

Yes.

Nemsis
March 21, 2010, 02:30 PM
from what i have see the Sig is the only one that was 100% with any ammo

greyson97
March 22, 2010, 08:57 AM
question about the M&P 15-22

can i remove the front and back posts? looking at the pic it looks like i can, but i wanted to be sure

Double Naught Spy
March 22, 2010, 03:54 PM
Can you remove the sights? Yes. In fact, I like my front sight turned around backwards from how S&W has it. They just unscrew with thumb screws just like on some scope ring mounts or other gear mounts.

greyson97
March 22, 2010, 03:59 PM
In fact, I like my front sight turned around backwards from how S&W has it

when you shoot, does time go backwards for just a milisecond? just checking