PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with the FN FNAR .308?

Northslope Nimrod
March 19, 2010, 09:26 AM
I have long wanted a .308 semi-auto that could serve as a SHTF rifle and a hunting rifle. I have considered the DPMS AP4, but in most circles, the FN FNAR is touted a little more.

The FNAR is under 8 pounds - great for hunting.
It has FN quality.
It is piston driven.

So, what are the drawbacks?

I can see one! It appears that extra magazines are $65 plus!!! Can they be had for cheaper?

Other issues?

azredhawk44
March 19, 2010, 09:31 AM
I've heard there is magazine commonality with the Browning BAR.

Not certain if that is the old WWII BAR they're talking about, or the modern semiautomatic hunting rifle BAR.

Northslope Nimrod
March 20, 2010, 11:53 PM
I finally held one today. It was the heavy barrel version with a medium sized scope and small bipod. That thing was HEAVY. Way to heavy for hunting applications anyway.

I guess my dream of a semi-auto .308 that will double as a hunting rifle and battle rifle cannot be a reality. TOO HEAVY!

Kmar40
March 21, 2010, 12:04 AM
If you think 8 lbs is heavy, wait til you get your paws on an M1A.

KChen986
March 21, 2010, 12:16 AM
Northslope,

You sure the rifle you held today was 8lbs? IIRC, my unscoped Remy 700 weighs 7.5lbs and I don't consider it heavy, even when scoped, especially when compared to my M1A.

DPris
March 21, 2010, 12:38 AM
The FNAR is a precision semi-auto .308. It's heavy, it's not what I'd consider a hunting rifle, it's inconvenient to break down for cleaning, magazines are expensive & not interchangeable with anything else, it's based on the semi-auto BAR hunting rifle, and it was never intended to be a battle rifle.

It's a good shooter, it's reliable, it offers good personalization in the form of stock adaptations to fit different physiques, and the one I worked with was accurate.

Denis

Northslope Nimrod
March 22, 2010, 10:25 AM
FN advertises it at 8 pounds but the one I held was the heavy barrel version which would add weight. I didn't weigh it. In fact, according to GunBlast, the FNAR is UNDER 8 pounds without the mag. (don't know why you would weigh it without a mag since it is a necessary impliment)

JohnO
March 22, 2010, 10:47 AM
It was never intended to be a battle rifle. It was designed to be a police sniper rifle. Not overly heavy. Yet, for hunting you can find lighter rifles. However, there are many people using their precision .308 bolt's for hunting and they are no light weight's. The FNAR can easily handle hunting and precision shooting needs.

dean1818
March 22, 2010, 11:02 AM
Just my 2 cents.....

From the feedback I have seen, the FNAR probably hits more of the "all-purpose" needs than any other weapon.

It is on my short list to purchase next.

Holding the rifle, it ISNT too heavy for hunting in my book.

The ONLY consistent feedback I have seen on the gun is that it is a bit ugly, and the mags are expensive. ($66 from Midway)

The looks have grown on me.

If you are looking for an all around rifle the M1A is the other option.

The downside of the M1A is the mounting needed for scoping, the additional cost to bring it to MOA (Match grade going for $2k) and it IS heavier than the FNAR.

When you compare both, and realize that you are going to lay down $1500
for the FNAR (fully scoped) and probably $2400 or more on the M1A (new mounts, scope) The FNAR, to me is the better choice.

But to each his own.

Jimro
March 22, 2010, 12:31 PM
SHTF rifle and a hunting rifle.

Since "sniping" isn't in your list then the the only drawback I can see is that I'm much less familiar with the BAR gas system than the AR gas system. I'd go with the AR for parts familiarity and commonality. There are just a lot more AR's out there than BAR's.

Jimro

precision_shooter
March 22, 2010, 12:32 PM
Nothing wrong with them to me, except the price...

deadcoyote
March 22, 2010, 01:02 PM
The issue i read about was in the Shotgun News review of the FNFAR. SGN stated the rifle is not supposed to be broken down due to some complex inner workings. FN states you are supposed to mail it in for servicing every 1000 rounds.

DPris
March 22, 2010, 04:53 PM
It may be a hunter for some, for me it's too heavy to lug around on foot. Still/stand hunting would be a different matter.

It's a great shooter, but the cleaning process was the primary reason I didn't buy the sample I worked with.
I clean a lotta guns & just don't have the patience to mess with a complicated one. I certainly would not pay to ship it anywhere or pay anybody else to clean one. :)

Denis

Dave R
March 22, 2010, 05:07 PM
FN states you are supposed to mail it in for servicing every 1000 rounds. Are you SERIOUS? That would be an automatic disqualification for me.

Northslope Nimrod
March 22, 2010, 07:43 PM
I held the regular barrel version today. It is noticeably lighter. Still a bit muzzle heavy.

After holding the regular barrel version (without a tripod and scope), I think it could be a hunting rifle, but only for short jaunts.

I also got to hold a DPMS AP4. It "seemed" a bit lighter. It held much better at rest because it the weight is more balanced rather than heavy toward the muzzle. I could pack the AP4 around I think. I think it will carry better even if the weight isn't that different.

jgcoastie
March 22, 2010, 09:29 PM
I personally like it... It's basically a "tacti-cool" version of the Browning BAR ShortTrac .308...

Yep, the mags are expensive.

Yep, it's difficult to clean, but no more difficult than your typical Browning semi-auto, which aren't that bad after you get used to it.

Yep, it's heavy, but it's supposed to be.

Would I send it in every 1k rounds? Nope, not unless they'll pay shipping...

Would I love to own one? You bet.

p99guy
March 22, 2010, 09:46 PM
You can also get it in camo, branded as a Winchester....usually a bit less in price than the FN marked one.

Palmetto-Pride
March 22, 2010, 09:49 PM
The FN-AR 308 is just a revamped Browning BAR hunting rifle. If it were me I would consider the Remington R-25 .308

JohnO
March 22, 2010, 10:04 PM
"The FN-AR 308 is just a revamped Browning BAR hunting rifle."

Very true. But, isn't a M40a1 just a revamped Remington 700?;)

jgcoastie
March 22, 2010, 10:10 PM
Remington R-25 .308
Except for the part where it has "Remington" stamped on the side of it...

Is the R-25 a quality gun? I'm sure it is. However Remington really ticked me off with the way they handled the Model 597 (.17HMR) recall. The only Remington I own was given to me by the Kodiak Friends of the NRA. I'll never buy one again.

And yes, that extends to DPMS & Bushmaster as well...

Madpipe
March 22, 2010, 11:06 PM
I think it is one ugly rifle but from the reviews I have read there is nothing wrong with them would like to take one for a spin.

notofnow
March 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
Check out a saiga 308. Cheap and light enough for hunting. After a conversion to pistol grip makes a decent battle rifle.

Palmetto-Pride
March 23, 2010, 06:21 PM
Is the R-25 a quality gun? I'm sure it is. However Remington really ticked me off with the way they handled the Model 597 (.17HMR) recall. The only Remington I own was given to me by the Kodiak Friends of the NRA. I'll never buy one again.

And yes, that extends to DPMS & Bushmaster as well...

I can understand your hard feelings if you got screwed, but if you are in the market for an affordable semi auto .308 the R-25 Remington (AKA DPMS LR-308) can be had for around $1200.00 I know a guy that has one and he said with Match ammo he is getting 1 MOA or less. My point is "why cut off your nose to spite your face" As a footnote I recently purchased a Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 and it is a tack driver no problems at all with it.

jgcoastie
March 23, 2010, 08:14 PM
I can understand your hard feelings if you got screwed, but if you are in the market for an affordable semi auto .308 the R-25 Remington (AKA DPMS LR-308) can be had for around $1200.00 I know a guy that has one and he said with Match ammo he is getting 1 MOA or less. My point is "why cut off your nose to spite your face" As a footnote I recently purchased a Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 and it is a tack driver no problems at all with it.

I actually didn't get screwed... I avoid Remington based on principle alone.

I don't view it as cutting off my nose, I compare it to avoiding a particular brand of bread because I don't like it. That doesn't mean that I will not be able to eat good bread for a similar price, just means I won't be eating that particular brand of bread.

I do the same thing with a lot of companies, stores, resturants, and brands...

Plus, there's the fact that I do not particularly care for many Remington models... The R-25/R-15 does not appeal to me, DPMS is cool and all, but I would prefer a RRA.... And I've never liked Bushmaster...

leadcounsel
March 23, 2010, 08:36 PM
I shot one full auto. Great fun and great rifle.

The drawback is the price.

Get an AK47 for $500.

Palmetto-Pride
March 23, 2010, 08:42 PM
I actually didn't get screwed... I avoid Remington based on principle alone.

For some reason I thought you were the OP that was looking for a 308 semi-auto that could serve as a SHTF rifle and a hunting rifle...... sorry disregard my previous post.

Northslope Nimrod
March 23, 2010, 11:25 PM
OP

I had a Saiga .308, but scoping it seemed to be an issue for a lefty. The mount is on the other side. Mounting on top, which the previous owner tried to do, did not work out so well. Perhaps it could have been done so it would work for me, but I gave up and sold it.

jgcoastie
March 24, 2010, 06:16 PM
sorry disregard my previous post.

No problem at all bud.

Northslope Nimrod
March 25, 2010, 02:39 PM
UPDATE BY OP

How'd I do? Purchased a Like New DPMS LR AP4 .308 with two 19 round mags and hard case. Only 30 rounds shot. Total price = $875.

Now, what Optics and Mounts?

I plan to put something that can power down to 2x. (2x to 7x or higher) Small and light. What do you suggest? (Under $130) Also, which type of reticle do you guys prefer? Which mounts?

Thanks!

RangerHAAF
April 15, 2010, 07:13 AM
It's good rifle but it's too heavy for me. Fortunately there is a chopped version with a 16 inch barrel for those of you who want to carry it hunting. I traded mine in for a Browning Shorttrac and a left handed Ruger M-77. I think the Shorttrac is as accurate as the FNAR and much more portable.

SmokyBaer
April 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
Was in the same boat as the OP. Didn't really like how ugly the FNAR starts out but I ran across one with a scope mounted on it and it looks a LOT better. Had to get one for myself and glad I did it. :D

Here's what Federal Premium 165s will do @100...
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/hobunchastuf/My%20Gun%20Pics/FNAR%20308/FNARDimeat100.jpg

Here's my NF 3.5x15 rigged for corn field critters... super sun shade, huh.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/hobunchastuf/My%20Gun%20Pics/FNAR%20308/MVC-824Y.jpg