PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to NOT get a BAR?

BoneDigger
March 18, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have been toying with the idea of a BAR. Any reasons not to get a new one? Accuracy seems only slightly worse than a standard bolt gun. Price isn't that much more. Perhaps a little heavier? Ideas?

Todd

ENC
March 18, 2010, 08:52 PM
I have two and love mine.

Evan

ebusa
March 18, 2010, 09:26 PM
Best hunting auto out there IMO..get one with the BOSS. I've got a Safari 7mm Mag with Boss and it's awesome! Very accurate!

nathaniel
March 18, 2010, 09:46 PM
The only thing to keep in mind is to keep it clean my brother had one and it jammed all the time.

the rifleer
March 18, 2010, 09:48 PM
Because you would have one and I wouldn't, and that wouldn't be fair...:(

Snub357
March 18, 2010, 10:08 PM
If you are a wuss.

jgcoastie
March 18, 2010, 11:31 PM
None that I can think of...

I love mine, a MkII Safari in .30/06... It does not currently have any optics on it, I am what some would say "between scopes" at the moment..

That BAR of mine has been the tool I've used to kill everything from hogs in Florida to moose, caribou, and the occasional steel plate in Alaska. It went with me on my bear hunting excursion last spring, didn't see anything though...

Love em and I am constantly on the lookout for more...

Ridge_Runner_5
March 19, 2010, 12:20 AM
Heavy gun, small mag capacity, and only really good for setting up fixed positions with wide lines of fire.

But it does have the advantage of sharing the same ammo with the M1 Garand...

themusgrat
March 19, 2010, 12:25 AM
I have a BAR Safari in 300 winmag, and I love it. It's heavy yes, but that only helps accuracy. I'm a lightweight, 165 pounds, and it's not too heavy by a long shot. I regularly take it on 6 hours hikes through heavy woods and it's never a problem. From a kneeling position, I can take almost any realistic hunting shot I would ever be faced with. It is very accurate, 1 MOA. And mine does jam 1 in every 200 shots maybe, but only with super cheap ammo as I recall, so that might have been the problem. It's a great gun and I've never heard of anyone that regretted the purchase.

RT
March 19, 2010, 07:14 AM
Like this?
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n443/thorm001/Guns/IMG_0911.jpg

davecharles
March 19, 2010, 09:22 AM
Reasons not to get one:
I have a 300 wm with composite stock and boss. I would you not buy one if you love a good sharp kick when you pull the trigger, mine just gives a soft nudge. If you need an excuse for missing game the BAR won't help you, mine consistantly shoots MOA. I guess you can tell, I love mine and I have at least 10 other CF rifles in my gun safe to choose from including one other custom built 300 WM. :D
Dave

tINY
March 19, 2010, 10:52 AM
Clive Barker seemed to do good work with one...

-tINY

crghss
March 19, 2010, 03:24 PM
From the pic above the look on that guy with the Green (olive?) hat and shirt is priceless...:)

Who dat to a whole other level.

dgludwig
March 19, 2010, 03:43 PM
If you reload a lot, semi-autos are less tolerant of different loadings (different bullet weights coupled with varying velocities) in terms of reliable functioning and/or extraction leverage than compared, say, with bolt-action rifles.

If you're just choosing between semi-autos instead of between action types, I think the BAR is the best one out there. I shot my first whitetail with a Winchester Model 100 semi-auto and always had good luck with this rifle but, of course, it has been long discontinued and can only be found in the used gun market.

crimsondave
March 19, 2010, 03:43 PM
I've got a new one. I like it. It's reliable for sure. Get one with the Boss. Mine doesn't have one and it is about a 2 MOA shooter.

Jekyll
March 20, 2010, 12:51 AM
I had one in .30-06. It was very accurte and it really eased the recoil well. Too much steel though for daily carry for me. I soon found I carried 2 rifles on the morning hike to my stand. The BAR served on the stand and then I grabed a shorter, lighter rifle for stalking. In the end, I realized that I carry rifles much, much, much more than I shoot them when hunting so, I traded it on a nice light .270 stalking rifle.

-Great finish.
-Accurate.
-Weight and action really reduce recoil.
-Well balanced.

Dislikes:
-Heavy.
-High sides at action, makes hand carry cumbersome when scoped. Unlike a bolt rifle, I couldn't slip my thumb between the scope and reciever for easy, single hand carry.
-Heavy.
-Price.
-Heavy.

Yes, I don't care to carry a bulky, heavy rifle when hunting on my feet.