PDA

View Full Version : M1A

fc286
March 13, 2010, 10:10 AM
I have a M1A NM with a stainless barrel. Can anyone tell me if I can determine if the barrel is a Krieger or Hart barrel. Based on what I have found to date this weapon appears to be a Super Match Heavy Barrel. Appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

SR420
March 13, 2010, 11:52 AM
Pull the action and remove the hand guard.
Grab a flashlight and look for roll marks on the barrel nearest the receiver.
I recommend the flashlight because some of the makers marks are faint.

I hope that helps.

Your rifle may be bedded... if it is you will want to be be very gentle when you R&R the action and trigger group.

EDIT: dward just gave you the better answer :cool:

Edward429451
March 13, 2010, 11:53 AM
I would call Springfield directly with the question and serial number. They will be able to tell you how it left the factory and then you can judge if it is in same condition.

Shottist
March 19, 2010, 03:24 PM
If this is the original barrel, and even if it is a "Super Match", I would be very surprised if it were a Krieger or a Hart. It's more likely to be a Douglas and will most likely not be marked. If the Rifle is a "Super Match" it probably has a rear lugged Receiver. Best bet, call Springfield with the SN and they will give you the whole story.

Slamfire
March 19, 2010, 07:26 PM
My 308 Stainless Krieger barrels are four groove.

Don't know what is used on M1a Krieger barrels. I use Douglas six groove. Cost a lot less and shoot well enough to clean the NRA Highpower Targets.