PDA

View Full Version : I think I want a Mini-14

EdInk
March 9, 2010, 10:10 PM
I've been wanting to get a rifle lately and was/am leaning toward the AK47.
However, I have been VERY pleased with my Ruger New Vaquero and started to think about getting a Mini-14 instead. Plus, I've been watching The A-Team alot and would be lying if I said I wasn't influenced by one of my favorite TV shows.

What are your opinions on these rifles. It will mainly be just for a fun gun.

EdInk
March 9, 2010, 10:27 PM
Here are some pics of the set-up I want:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/ColdSteelMan/Mini-14Folder1.jpg

http://www.armco-guns.com/Mini%2014%20folder%20%202.JPG

w_houle
March 9, 2010, 10:40 PM
Oh
my
cod!
I want one!

Art Eatman
March 9, 2010, 10:40 PM
The newer versions are better than the originals, but they still aren't (generally) tight-group critters at the bench rest. Minis work fine for hunting or plinking, whether early models or later versions.

KMO
March 9, 2010, 10:45 PM
So you like the Mini-14 folder...Well, poke around awhile and I'm sure you can find one. There was another thread running here on the FL suggesting that Ruger should consider introducing the factory folder once again. You might stay tuned in over at GunBroker.com and see if one turns up. There are a variety of Mini-14 variations out on the market right now. Is the factory folder your only consideration? There are several aftermarket folding stocks made for the Mini-14, so maybe one of those would suit you. Besides, the A-team disappeared a long time ago...:cool:

(Oh, lest I forget...You should get an AR instead...Now that base is covered.)

n7qvu
March 9, 2010, 10:46 PM
Looks just like one of mine, my other one is pure stock.

EdInk
March 9, 2010, 10:59 PM
The A-Team is STILL one of the best shows on TV. Plus, if I can't catch reruns I own all 5 seasons on DVD. Yeah the AR instead is now covered. As is the No Thank You.

Yeah I pretty much want one like shown. I don't want it to
be all polymer and tactical looking. However, I don't care for regular rifle stocks.

KMO
March 9, 2010, 11:04 PM
I sent you a PM...There are two on the GunBroker site as I write this...

EdInk
March 9, 2010, 11:16 PM
Got them. Thanks but no $$$ right now. Unless it was for
a crazy good deal. (Any other salesmen know the funof waitng for
commission checks?) Plus, I need to shoot one first. I do really want feedback on them though.

Lavid2002
March 9, 2010, 11:32 PM
EdInk

Your conscious is lying to you....you want another AR15 obviously ....:D

Chinny33
March 10, 2010, 02:14 AM
dude seriously, out of the box AR15 will out shoot a Mini-14 any given day.

Side by side test from my friend's mini-14 vs my M4gery. I railed him with the AR-15. We reversed it and I tried to get the groups with his Mini and couldnt even come close. Added bonus he shot better with my AR than his mini.

For novelty only, I can understand, but it seems you are going for a "tactical" approach at it.

Money better suited for an AR or a M1A

dgludwig
March 10, 2010, 02:47 AM
Everybody should have at least one Winchester Model 94, a 1911, an AR-15 and, for sure, a Mini-14.

Regolith
March 10, 2010, 03:07 AM
The newer Mini-14's are a lot better than the old ones. Groups of 2moa or better out of the box isn't unheard of.

KMO
March 10, 2010, 08:20 AM
dude seriously, out of the box AR15 will out shoot a Mini-14 any given day.

Hey! We covered this ground in post #5. The obligatory "get an AR instead" post was already made...

MosinM38
March 10, 2010, 08:50 AM
They're nice guns. Some are capable of good accuracy.

That said, mine shoots 1.5"-2" with good SP ammo. Although for some reason the last outing it blasted out 7" groups :eek: Either I was really having an off-day, or the scope finally went kaput (Think it's that).

EdInk
March 10, 2010, 09:18 AM
The term AR-15 stands for A(wfull) R(eliablity)-1(in)5(jams). :D j/k
However, I truely don't care for the platform. It is between an AK and Mini-14. I know the AK platform is wonderful and reliable. The Mini-14 is just kinda
cool. I don't care about MOA precision and I will probably just use iron sights.
It is going to be a fun gun whichever one I choose.

L_Killkenny
March 10, 2010, 09:42 AM
Get the Mini. They are fun guns, I always equate them to a lever gun on steroids. Like with lever guns, accuracy isn't as much a problem as the internet would leave you to believe but the Mini is what it is. A fun, well built, good handling, good looking gun that makes a fine hunting/plinking/HD combo.

LK

Lavid2002
March 10, 2010, 09:55 AM
mini 30?

EdInk
March 10, 2010, 10:16 AM
Mini-30 is chambered in 7.62x39 Soviet or .308?

Stephanie B
March 10, 2010, 10:27 AM
I live in a state where post-ban magazines are illegal.

STANAG AR-15 magazines (and AK magazines) are still readily available. Large-cap Ruger Mini-14 magazines are not, my LGS's owner told me that they are going for $200 and up.

That may be a problem for you. Or not.

Art Eatman
March 10, 2010, 10:32 AM
EdInk, it's the AK round, not the .308 Winchester.

IMO, the most useful magazine for the Mini is the factory 10-rounder. It protrudes very little below the stock. You can carry the rifle at the balance point.

rezmedic54
March 10, 2010, 10:33 AM
I have both a 14 and a 30. They both will shoot 1" groups so I got I guess the only 2 good ones Ruger made. I can hit targets out to 400 yds. with them if I take my time. Granted an Ar is good and I have several but where's the challenge. To make an AR shoot or a Mini. Either will do the job and I have never seen anyone volunteer to stand out there in front of one cause they shoot so bad.

EdInk
March 10, 2010, 10:48 AM
I live in TN and we have pretty good gun laws. So the preban/postban thing doesn't make a difference. I would have to have the 20 or 30 round mags.

Locoweed
March 10, 2010, 02:25 PM
Saw one yesterday with a laminated thumbhole stock with high cheek-piece and comb and with a heavy barrel with a tuner on the end (like the old BOSS system). Anybody know anything about these? It was new in a gunshop.

LukeA
March 10, 2010, 02:26 PM
Target Rifle - Laminate (http://ruger.com/products/mini14TargetRifleLaminate/index.html)

golfballshootr
March 10, 2010, 02:48 PM
I have the Mini-14 and several variants of the AR platform. I have plans to trade my mini off though, because I have had more luck in grouping with the AR and just like the AR better, plus the components, if I did choose to do anything at all to it, are readily available in many flavors and colors!! :D

Baphomet
March 10, 2010, 03:03 PM
The Mini-14 is like that ugly girl in high school you always had a freaking great time hanging out with, but didn't want to be seen around.

I had one for years and loved it to pieces. Never "benched" it though, I was too busy having fun blasting s--t with it.

/Seriously, who "benches" a Mini?

woody wood
March 10, 2010, 03:12 PM
ive been thinking about one also- i think i will get one this next week.
i think you will get a kick out of this picture----a team never shot anyone.

E.J.White
March 10, 2010, 03:13 PM
Love the mini but it wont out shoot the AR at over 300 yards.Great for plinking though

ratshooter
March 10, 2010, 05:49 PM
I had one for years and loved it to pieces. Never "benched" it though, I was too busy having fun blasting s--t with it.

Baphomet for a minute there I thought you were refering to the ugly girl.

I bought my first mini in 2008. A 580 series with the straight taper barrel. I liked it so much I bought a second new mini 580 with the tapered barrel. Both were very good shooters. They surprised me with how well they shot. I sold the straight barreled gun, just didn't think I needed two of them.

I regret selling that gun. It shot just a s well as the tapered barrel and was 3/4lb lighter.

I could have bought an AR. I look at them at all the gunshows but they just fail to impress me, especially with the prices they ask for them. Plus they look like they were built by a pipe fitter and a sheet metal worker that didn't get along too well.

bedlamite
March 10, 2010, 06:01 PM
Besides, the A-team disappeared a long time ago...

You wish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z93AADd2Dpo)

KMO
March 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
On reliability, you can't beat a Mini-14. It's going to fire when you pull the trigger. Even if you encounter some issues, I'm aware of none that are not easily remedied, even the accuracy issues. Take the plunge man...Get that Mini...;)

(The A-Team didn't disappear? You're kidding me...:confused:)

olyinaz
March 10, 2010, 08:12 PM
The Mini is an M1 Carbine on steroids - what's not to like?

And that "A-Team" trailer was a hoot!

Oly

Ignition Override
March 10, 2010, 09:13 PM
A few days ago I used a police officer's personal Mini 14 at an outdoor club range in eastern AR.

His rifle has the new, thicker barrel with a red dot sight and other gear.
He is betting his life on his Mini, which is carried in the squad car along with his handgun.

Whether his rifle has the better barrel design or not, at typical civilian firefight distances, why would he need the longer-range accuracy of an AR or Sig-Sauer?
The guy did enjoy the power of my Yugo 8mm Mauser and especially the energy from the small Enfield #5 "Jungle Carbine" :D.

M3 Pilot
March 11, 2010, 11:08 AM
I had one like EdInks. Thought it was a really neat gun. However, I never shot it & traded it around a year ago. I guess that makes this a useless post. Sorry.

EdInk
March 11, 2010, 11:00 PM
I don't know if I'm down with an A-Team movie. It's been in the works for years though. I've hung out with Quinton Jackson before and he's pretty cool and about the only guy tough enough to replace Mr. T. I will have to see it and hope for the best. It looks pretty good from the preview. So fingers crossed for the best.

To keel this on topic, I think I'll go to the store tomorrow and look at a Mini-14 and make a decision.

Bamashooter
March 12, 2010, 01:41 AM
I have the 580 series. Always been a good shooter. Put a tapco stock on it and had the trigger done by local gunsmith. Recently bought a accu-strut and this rifle is shooting near moa everytime i try. Its really amazing what a few inexpensive upgrades will do for a gun.

bamaranger
March 12, 2010, 02:23 AM
In an early pic, it showed a factorty stainless folder. But what is the under folder? Gotta be custom, right? Is that an AK under fold stock adapted/modified to fit on a custom rifle?

ritepath
March 12, 2010, 12:14 PM
Everyone should have at least one Mini....I do, I've shot it some but not enough to know how bad it groups. When I'm concerned about grouping I pull out the Sako 22-250.

Nowhere Man
March 12, 2010, 01:47 PM
Minis are not tack drivers but definetely battle accurate. The best part is they will eat any kind of ammo you feed them.

Dave

glazer1972
March 12, 2010, 01:47 PM
I do not have a very high opinion of them.

DAdams
March 12, 2010, 02:41 PM
Go here and you don't have to put up with the AR bias business. ;)

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

I like mine.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/P1010015-2.jpg

NRA Commerative with Hogue Stock.

Nowhere Man
March 12, 2010, 02:54 PM
Here's mine;

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/sharksnufr/Mini14003.jpg

EdInk
March 12, 2010, 03:11 PM
I didn't make it to the gun store today. Regretfully, I was just lazy and screwed around all day instead. I will definitely go on one of my days off next week. Oh well, it gives me time to do some more research.

So, it is my understanding that the style I want is the one with the factory folding stock. Also, that this style is discontinued. Is this correct? Is there something very similar available? I do NOT like the look of the Tapco or other tactical ones I've seen around. I am okay with it being synthetic not wood but I really still want the same basic look as the ones I originally posted.

Any help? (Besides gunbroker or other used auctions!)

johnwilliamson062
March 12, 2010, 04:21 PM
butler creek makes about the best folder available for them. They are not that great. Mine has about 6 MOA vertical play in the stock when locked. Horizontally it is much tighter.

2rugers
March 13, 2010, 12:52 PM
Gunbroker or Ebay is your only choice anymore for one of those neat factory folders.
They really are worth the extra time and expense to acquire though.

There's an interesting wood stock wire folder model on ebay right now.
It has already closed once for $75.00 with no takers and will probably not sell this time either.

For anyone interested the item # is 220569835858

Mannlicher
March 13, 2010, 05:06 PM
A mini 14 is a good little rifle, and does a great job at what it was intended for. It is not going to make some folks happy, no matter how good it is.

I have a mini, and I also have several AR rifles, Garands, M1A rifles, AR180 and AR180B rifles, AK47, .30 M1 Carbines and some others tucked away. My Mini 14 functions as well as any of them.

I have owned my 188 series since 1992, and have found it reasonably accurate (two inch groups with M855 ball), dead nutz reliable, and a lot of fun.

Right now, it is wearing a Vortex dot sight and a V-Tech sling. The flash hider is by Masen.
I bought a number of 20 and 30 round factory magazines when I got the rifle. It is nice to see them available again from Ruger.
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt349/Knocky/Knocky%202010/RugerNStrikefire.jpg

T. O'Heir
March 14, 2010, 03:13 AM
"...will mainly be just for a fun gun..." That's all they're good for. Standard Minis are over priced, inaccurate, but reliable, junk.
Mannlicher, smaller pictures!

maestro pistolero
March 14, 2010, 03:23 AM
I've got a stainless mini 14 with a folding Choate stock and a Redfield scope I'd probably let go for $400 plus shipping. It's about 10 years old, but It's got less than 200 rounds through it since day one. I've gone down the AR path and just never shoot the thing.

yotesmoker
March 14, 2010, 08:19 AM
My only real complaint is that it eats scopes.I've had 3 mini -30's in the past and got rid of them because of that reason.With my aged eyes[74] I have to scope it.I never learn because I have a 581 series now and need info on what is the best scope to put on it.Would an air gun scope be better.What have you guys found to be a scope that would hold up?

KMO
March 14, 2010, 08:42 AM
That's all they're good for. Standard Minis are over priced, inaccurate, but reliable, junk.
What compels guys to post crap like this? It contributes nothing to the thread.

As for the Mini-14 eating scopes...Here are a couple of quick fixes:
1. Change the gas port bushing to one with a reduced diameter orifice.
2. Get a recoil buffer pad made for a 1911 pistol, and use it on the op rod.
3. Get a Wolff extra power recoil spring.

All 3 of the above will reduce recoil, improve accuracy, and save the optics.

mycrobyte
March 14, 2010, 09:24 AM
I love my Mini-14. It is a nice rifle, fun to shoot and dang reliable.

Picked mine up second hand for a nice price. Get one - you wont regret it.

2rugers
March 14, 2010, 11:14 AM
Yotesmoker I have had the same problem with Minis in the past.

My current Mini is not scoped but if I were to choose to scope it I would go fixed power (less internals to shake loose) and probably choose a Weaver k4 or similar.