PDA

View Full Version : 6.5mm AR-15 question...

deadcoyote
March 4, 2010, 09:38 PM
I see Model 1 Sales shows they sell uppers chambered in "6.5mm Sporter". Is this different from 6.5 Grendel? I suspect they are one and the same and there is some kind of trademark issue, which I've seen several other companies do with JD Jones trademarked calibers. Any info would help, thanks.

zoomie
March 4, 2010, 09:52 PM
You suspect right.

spotter123654
March 4, 2010, 09:54 PM
i saw that too and thought the same thing 6.5 grendel owns or creedmoor

bedlamite
March 4, 2010, 10:11 PM
IIRC, the difference is in the bolt, headspace, and neck. The Model 1 is headspaced to use a 7.63x39 bolt, where the Grendel bolt is a different depth. Just don't mix and match parts. I don't think they use the Grendel's compound neck either.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7229&page=1

globemaster3
March 5, 2010, 05:54 AM
I called M1S about 7 mos ago to ask that very question when I was looking at buying a 6.8 or 6.5, and yes, that's their Grendel offering.

spotter123654
March 5, 2010, 10:18 AM
i wanna get a 6.8 mini 14 once i get some cash together

tirod
March 5, 2010, 10:07 PM
From studying the 6.5 offerings, there are a lot of alternate names for the 6.5 Grendel as other makers try to dodge the licensing fee Alexander Arms requires to use the Grendel name.

The lastest one is Les Baer, who changed a few key dimensions and has introduced the .264 LBC.

The ironic part about it is that some 6.5 fans like to throw the various names for the 6.8 as a negative - and would explain the 6.5 has always been the one and only. It wasn't so, and is even less so. Les Baer even has ordered 700,000 cases headstamped with his mark - which is compatible with 6.5 and shoots just as good.

MOST calibers have alternate names, it's part and parcel of learning about guns and calibers - different makers can call the same thing by different names. There is no one overall authority to approve or clear any one name. If it's any good, the only way to keep one name above the others isn't to control and license it - it's to put in on the market as an open copy so anyone can use it.

Les Baer did that, too. I suspect a lot of those 6.5 copy cats will become .264 LBC as ad copy and improved sales join up.