PDA

View Full Version : Flash Hider for Mini 14

Homerboy
March 1, 2010, 07:24 PM
I have a new stainless Mini on the way, and am considering adding a flash suppessor. I see Choate and John Mason sell them for around 50 bucks. Do I just remve the pin on the stock sight, slide the flash hider over it, and re-pin it/ Also, how will I know if the sight is perfectly centered on the barrel?

Dfariswheel
March 1, 2010, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure which models you're looking at, but most of the Choate units require that the Mini-14 front sight be removed, the new unit slipped over the barrel, and the barrel and flash hider drilled for a cross pin.

Removal of the Mini-14 front sight can be a bear, as can drilling the hole through the flash hider and barrel and not getting the hole off.

The best way to remove the Mini-14 front sight is to use a slightly dulled chisel to carefully cut the front sight band PARTIALLY through on the bottom of the barrel.
The idea is to cut INTO the band, but NOT to actually cut through and cut the barrel.
By cutting partially through with a dulled chisel, the band will spread open enough to allow it to be tapped forward and off without damaging the barrel.

When drilling the flash hider and barrel, use a new drill and use it only in a drill press. You have to be very careful about getting the front sight centered perfectly at 12:00 o'clock top-dead-center.
However, when done right, the M14 type Choate flash hider looks very good on the Mini-14.

If you use a flash hider that is one of the "slip on" types, all you have to do is push out the sight pin, slip the unit on and install the new, longer pin to retain it.

Homerboy
March 1, 2010, 08:45 PM
The ones I'm looking at say "no gunsmithing required" so they must be the slip on types.

KMO
March 1, 2010, 09:20 PM
Well, they might say "no gunsmithing required," but that doesn't mean it won't take some good old-fashioned handyman ingenuity. The previous post was insightful, but I've been hesitant to chisel on my Mini's. My favorite tool for removing a factory front sight has been an 18-inch 1 x 2 piece of oak. I soak the front sight in Liquid Wrench overnight, and after driving out the roll pin, I've had success smacking the oak against the front sight with a shot-filled mallet. It has always taken several strokes, but they've always come off. That advice about using a new drill bit is very good. For a few bucks, it's worth it not to have a broken off bit stuck between your flash hider & barrel...not a pleasant removal process. Use a solid rifle rest to true up the flash hider vertically. Take your time...You can do it...;)

(Go for the Choate IMHO)

birdshot
March 2, 2010, 12:00 PM
i thought i replied to this one earlier...
i put the ss choate on a mini 14 (not mine) while back. easy install, just make sure the sight does not rotate while you have the roll pin out. slip on is exageration, press on is more accurate. i used a piece of wood and a ball pen to get it in place. if i had it to do again i would grease surfaces before driving it on. getting it off is going to be a real bugger.
also, i do not like the way the flash hider makes the barrel longer, looks like a "polychoke" out there. accuracy was not improved though it was not bad prior. if i needed a flash hider on a mini 14 i would get the barrel threaded and put on a m-16 style.