PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 10 rd mags, why are they so hard to get?

a1bigtuna
March 1, 2010, 12:34 PM
I live in Calif. have a pre ban Mini 14 (S# 185xxxx) and a lot of 20 and 30 round mags bought back then. But, seems that times have changed and I can only use 5 and 10 round mags (gee way back when there was a 5 & 10 store). Well, have to pay a lot for a 10 rd one and half for a 20 rd one. Why? Would think Ruger would make a lot of 10 rd ones as there are a lot of us living in the state of Kalif. Can't figure out why the shortage. Out there am sure I will get the answer.

The Tourist
March 1, 2010, 12:37 PM
I think the latest round of "the sky is falling" has something to do with the issue.

My friend in Wyoming tells me that he is searching for FMJ .224 bullets, and his supplier is flat out of them. The EOTW guys have sucked them all up.

This will pass. I'll bet you get a PM from one of the guys here who will provide you with a viable supplier.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 1, 2010, 12:52 PM
Here ya go:

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-Mini-14-Magazine-10-Shot/productinfo/90339/

a1bigtuna
March 1, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks, I had to buy a couple at that price. Just don't understand why there are a dozen suppliers for the hi cap mags, and few for the 10 rd, and so expensive.

K8vf
March 1, 2010, 05:08 PM
Heck, what about 5 rounders?

I know I can get one from Ruger..but I'd think someone would make 5 rounders since many locales insist on a 5 rounder max for hunting.

I got a nice 20 rounder with my tactical, but would have rather had a few 5 rounders myself.

Probably in the minority on that one, eh?

22-rimfire
March 1, 2010, 07:24 PM
After trying a number of brands, I now will only buy Ruger mags for the Mini-14. They are expensive.

KMO
March 1, 2010, 09:25 PM
After trying a number of brands, I now will only buy Ruger mags for the Mini-14.

Brother, you're not the only one. I've given up on anything but factory mags, with the only exception being Thermold polymer mags, which have been just as reliable as factory mags for me. CDNN offers the best prices on mags for the Mini-14...

MosinM38
March 2, 2010, 08:42 AM
Lol, it's funny, the Thermold Polymers sucked for me!!!

I am a die-hard fan of the Promag 20 rounders. About the sole exception/good magazine Promag makes. I got Ruger 20's as well, but I haven't had a single problem with SPECIFICALLY: a 20 round Promag. A few slight problems with some 30 round Promags, but the 20's have been 100%.

Anywhoo: I had bad luck with 10 round promags however. I am planning on getting a 10 rounder from Ruger sometime. Just seems conveniant size-wise.

MiniZ
March 2, 2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks, I had to buy a couple at that price. Just don't understand why there are a dozen suppliers for the hi cap mags, and few for the 10 rd, and so expensive.

Because the market has created a demand for the 20 and 30 rounders. For every one person that wants a 5 or 10 round mag, there are probably 20 that want the high cap mags.

KMO
March 3, 2010, 07:13 PM
I am a die-hard fan of the Promag 20 rounders.

The only Promag I had any success with was their 20-round polymer magazine, but it would not hold 20 rounds when stored without letting loose of at least one round, sometimes two. As for their steel mags, no thanks. At $24.99 for a factory 20-round steel, and $29.99 for 30-rounders, I'll stick with Ruger steel mags. As for the 10-round factory steel mags, I've just never come across any...

NooYawkuh
March 6, 2010, 09:54 AM
Heh, heh, ... this is why the cheapest way to go is to just buy Ruger factory mags and don't look back.

As a newb, with little experience, I've researched this matter to a ridiculous degree - by scouring user forums all over the web. Some people like Masen, ProMag, etc., and some people have had nothing but problems with aftermarket mags. But I've never heard ANYONE have a major problem with a Ruger factory mag, in any capacity.

So, why should I spend the money to experiment when I already have the results of all the ginny pigs at my disposal?

But yes, I find it very perplexing that Ruger doesn't make more 10s for the Mini. They made them years ago, stopped, then recently started again. In NY and CA it's our only option, other than the supplied 5.