PDA

View Full Version : Sage EBR stock for M1A rifle in California

burger and fries
February 25, 2010, 05:31 PM
If I modify an Springfield M1A standard rifle into an EBR is it legal in CA? Sage EBR stocks are for sale online but I'm not sure. It seems to be a simple "drop in" procedure that really brings an older rifle design up to date with contemporary ones. It is a bit expensive but affordable. I'm just wondering if it would be illegal in CA? Some help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
bnf

KChen986
February 25, 2010, 05:51 PM
Aren't pistol grips and detachable box mags "no-go" in CA?

Adrian
February 25, 2010, 05:56 PM
On legality: it depends.

One of the SAGE models (the ALCS/CVFS) would be legal. The other two (the original ALCS and the ALCS/CV) have pistol grips, so California would frown on that unless you fixed the magazine somehow.

SR420
February 26, 2010, 11:07 AM
The SAGE EBR (M14ALCS/CVFS) at the top is Kali legal
The HOGUE overmold butt stock is available with two different LOP and mine was drilled for a Kydex cheek rest.

http://pix.pixagogo.com/S5ODTr!fWlbmSif2Jx4jBbfy8J9pHYKrniI57Kxvofuz7gJ6prPOJzYHAk-IsZ98G3lOipfh3Nr7EpWb3imam1NSljTP%20Fehq26/04630.jpg

deadcoyote
February 26, 2010, 03:14 PM
Detachable mag + "conspiciously protruding pistol-grip" = illegal in Peoples Republic of California.

SR420
February 26, 2010, 03:32 PM
Contact Tony at LAW483.com and get the skinny.

justinlemieux
February 27, 2010, 10:48 AM
they are not legal. Ive looked into it and the standard california buttstock is, but since there aren't any "mag locks, or bullet buttons" for m1a's the pistol grips a no no.

limitdown
February 28, 2010, 03:09 AM
Just get a bullet button and the rear pistol grip is ok.
You still won't be able to have a front grip.
With the stock collapsed, total length needs to be a minimum of 30 inches (cuz it's centerfire).
Muzzle brakes are mandatory.
Muzzle brake + barrel together must be at least 16 inches.

Btw, for extremely helpful information on Kalifornia info chk out calguns.net.

SR420
February 28, 2010, 07:56 AM
Drill and tap a whole through the magazine release, then you will have a 10 round magazine lock.
Top it off with stripper clips and be happy... just ask LETHAL_ADDICT over on EBRSOPMODS (http://ebrsopmods.proboards.com/index.cgi)

Kmar40
February 28, 2010, 08:22 AM
I'd rather keep the 20 round mags than have a tacti-cool pistol grip stock.

That conventional stocked Sage looks pretty cool, I must add.

SR420
February 28, 2010, 08:28 AM
Kmar40 I'd rather keep the 20 round mags than have a tacti-cool pistol grip stock.

That conventional stocked Sage looks pretty cool, I must add.

+1

I am convinced the fixed stock EBR is the way to go... I was a sweet shooting configuration for me :)

limitdown
March 1, 2010, 03:09 AM
10-rounds is the max in Kalifornia for ANY gun! Unless you owned the magazine prior to the year 2000 ban. Or you have a hi-cap magazine permit (which realistically only law enforcement can get)

Do not drill anything. Just replace the magazine release with a bullet button. It's super easy and it's cheap. With the bullet button, you effectively have a "fixed magazine" because there's no way to remove the magazine "without the use of a tool". You must use a tool, any "tool" is fine, so the pointed tip of a bullet is fine.

Rear pistol grips and forward rail-mounted grips are very different in Kali. You can have a rear pistol grip (ie "protruding grip"), but you cannot have a front grip at the same time.

This is my KommieFornia setup.

LWRC M6A3
Pinned muzzle brake (mandatory), no flash hiders in Kali!
Bullet button
10-round magazine

Kalifornia is super super strict and you must have your AR and AK configured in an EXACT way. One tiny incorrect configuration and it's a felony.

However, don't be scared, it's very easy to get an AR or AK configured correctly.

If you get an M1A in Kali, it's come with a muzzle brake instead of the standard flash hider.