PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Kit Options

jman841
February 24, 2010, 10:39 PM
Ok so I decided I am going to go with the AR-15 kit so i can get exactly what I want for the best price possible. I think I am going to go with a Del-Ton as they have a Mid length kit option. I am going to get the barrel chrome lined but had some questions on a few other options.

My purpose for this rifle is to practice for military competitions and plinking/target shooting and possibly hunting at some point.

So i am debating on spending an extra 80 dollars for the RRA 2 stage trigger. Is this worth it? and since I am using it in order to improve my shooting skill with an M16 (AR-15 in this case) would this be a bad choice as the rifles we would compete with do not have upgraded triggers?

Second is I think i am going to get the carrying handle for an additional 80 bucks as well. Do you think this is worth it, or should i find some sort of BUIS? 80 bucks seems a little steep for a carrying handle but i heard some pretty bad stories about some of the cheaper ones.

the only thing i don't like about the Del-Ton kit is it has the 1/9 twist rate and i think i would prefer a 1/8 or 1/7.

Do you think the M4 feed ramps are worth an additional 25 dollars?

What are you suggestions for upgrades to the kit? I am trying to keep my budget down but don't want to regret not getting something if it was only a few bucks more.

And finally, are there any other companies that offer kits with Mid-length gas systems or is it worth just buying a complete rifle? I personally don't like the carbine length gas system for a 16" barrel.

zippy13
February 25, 2010, 10:48 AM
IMHO, you may have your priorities a little confused:
On one hand you're concerned that a trigger up-grade would be a "bad choice as the rifles we would compete with do not have upgraded triggers?" On the other hand, if I read you correctly, you're contemplating a 16" barrel. With the 16's different sighting radius and balance, wouldn't a standard 20" be a better choice for the same reason?

Ridge_Runner_5
February 25, 2010, 12:47 PM
If you are using military rifles for shooting events, I think you'll want to go with a 20" A2. In which case, Del-Ton has everything minus the lower receiver for like $500. That would be your best bet. Buy a lower receiver for ~$100, assemble it yourself, and you're golden.

Bartholomew Roberts
February 25, 2010, 02:13 PM
If your primary use is going to be competition of some kind, then the first thing you need to do is get the rule book for that sport and see what they allow.

ranger dave
February 25, 2010, 02:20 PM
if this is your first ar kit just get the stock kit put it together and shoot it then make up your mind on what you want to up grade. and if you are going for match shooting id go with a 20 inch a4

jman841
February 25, 2010, 06:18 PM
Hmm good point. I'll definetly consider that. the problem is I believe we can compete with the M4 or M16A4. Since It is expensive to get a 14.5 inch barrel the 20 inch is probably the better option.

These are the rules and regs:

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/Competitions/2010/2010%20all%20army%20program%20final.pdf

We would be competing with Issued weapons, no personal weapons allowed. However, I would be competing in the Cadet Class and we do not get to shoot very much with our school so that is why i need one of my own. After next year i will be commissioned and will have much greater access to ranges and shooting time so the need for a personal weapon is much less.

bedlamite
February 25, 2010, 06:32 PM
THe RRA trigger is nice, I have one. For me it would be a toss up between that and sending the standard trigger to Bill Springfield (http://www.triggerwork.net/). For the barrel twist, what bullet weight do you want to shoot? If you will never shoot anything heavier than 69gr, then the 1:9 will work just fine. If you want to shoot the 75/77 gr bullets, you will need the faster twist. For a hunter/plinker I'd get the 1:9 16" midlength. For competition, I'd get a 1:7 20" with a FF handguard.

ranger dave
February 26, 2010, 12:55 PM
you can put a ton of up grades but are they worth the $ i have a ss dpms a4 that i just had to have a free float hand gard on so i spent $200 and put one on and it did nothing for my group size . it still fires 1.25 moa witch is good for an ar 15 but i could have saved the $200 and you also need to check on the rules of the match on how much mod. you can do