PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a AR-15

NyViking
February 21, 2010, 11:43 PM
I am currently looking to buy an AR-15. This will be my first center fire rifle. I would like some guidance on what companies are reliable and what models i should consider purchasing. I am willing to spend around 1500. i would appreciate the input.

stuffaknuckle
February 22, 2010, 02:16 AM
It depends on what your going to use it for. If you buying it to shoot a couple hundred rounds a year then deltron, RRA, oly, ect are all good choices. If your getting into match shooting then noveske, yankee hill machine, ect, ect are the higher quality ones that have a excellent reputation.

That said, I have a oly and a RRA that I have had 0 problems with.

curmudgeon1
February 22, 2010, 03:06 AM
Colt ...... if you plan to shoot a lot.

Sport45
February 22, 2010, 03:24 AM
I like White Oak Armament uppers on RRA lowers.

What are you looking for, a X-C competition rifle, home defense, varmint shooting, etc.??

NWPilgrim
February 22, 2010, 03:25 AM
For the average guy that may shoot 2,000 rds or less per year RRA, DPMS, Stag, and others are just fine. A buddy has a RRA that is accurate and reliable at the range and no reason not to depend on it for self defense, hunting, etc. These rifles typically have 1:9 rifling twist rate, 4140 steel, often do not have chrome lined bores as standard but could be upgrade option, may or may not have M4 feed ramps on carbine lengths, and usually the lighter semi-auto bolt carrier and standard bolt. These brands often offer a wider variety of barrel lengths and specialty configurations for National Match, varmints, defense, etc.

If you want super duty for full auto, frequent training, use on the job, or just because, then you are looking more at Colt, Noveske, Bravo Co. (BCM) and LMT. These typically have the tougher 4150 steel barrels, chrome lined bore/chamber, M4 feed ramps, MP inspected bolts and barrels, upgraded bolt extractor/springs, heavy buffer and/or heavier full auto bolt carrier, etc. Configurations are typically more oriented around combat and short barrels and suppressors.

Rock River Arms is a good starting point for a newbie. You can get any configuration (start simple though), it will be significantly cheaper, they offer a hefty Active duty/LEO discount, and they seem to be fully stocked and shipping fast these days. A buddy has one and it is accurate and reliable. A basic setup (complete rifle, with iron sights but no optics or upgraded furniture) is probably about $850.

I have a few LMT uppers on DPMS/CMT/RRA lowers. They are rock solid and reliable but about as pretty as a shipyard bolt (and as tough). I have a new BCM upper and it is top notch. Just as tough as the LMT but more finely finished for the same price. A basic setup is around $1,000.

Never heard of someone complain about a Colt or Noveske. I believe these start at $1,200 and go up.

Start simple and then add or upgrade as you learn what really is needed for your situation. A few things can be taken care right off, but others should wait. You need a sling. At least get a simple GI 1" web sling. The gap under the trigger guard is irritating with moderate use, so get the Magpul trigger guard, or Tango Down grip for $20-$30. You need a back up iron sight; I like the Magpul MBUS for $55 on the low end and the Troy folding rear sight on the top end ($120).

Others may disagree, but I do NOT think a new AR shooter NEEDS right away an optic, rail handguards, fancy sling, mounted light, forward grip, upgraded charging handle, or upgraded buttstock. The standard items are inexpensive but the upgrades are spendy, so you can dump a lot of cash on questionable capability. Better to get familiar and develop some proficiency through practice. Then upgrade for specific reasons.

NWCP
February 22, 2010, 04:43 AM
My Rock River Arms 16" has been a good shooting rifle for me. I have an Elite. I probably will be getting a 20" upper for it. It will carry a scope and hopefully work well as a coyote gun. I intend to leave optics off of my 16" and use the iron sights only. The match trigger in my rifle is really nice with a clean break and reset. RAA makes a nice rifle for the money. JMHO

CPTMurdoc30
February 22, 2010, 06:47 AM
I like Rock River I just ordered a Predator Pursuit Rifle from Pete at http://www.ar15sales.com/ Great prices and Pete will take care of you.

My PPR cost me $959 shipped to my FFL... Cheapest I found anywhere. He also has STAG and LaRue Tac I believe.

If you just want a cheap plinker look at CMMG bargin basket (http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=2223436&cat=161&). They are like $500 or $600 and will get you in the game.

RT
February 22, 2010, 07:36 AM
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

NWPilgrim
February 22, 2010, 01:21 PM
RT,

Thanks for the link. That article by Rob, the creator of the M4 Chart, is critical perspective. Rob has also written that over time he has simplified his carbines and lighten the load of accessories.

Jimro
February 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
The chart isn't a crystal ball telling you how a rifle will perform. But there are definitely worse ways to pick out a rifle.

Jimro

gotigers
February 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
for $1500 i would get a DD, S&W or BCM and spend the rest on a few accessories - BUIS, sling, etc. As said above. Start with the rifle. Shoot it. The more you shoot, the more you will learn exactly what you want for it.

Red dots or scopes can be expensive. So shoot some that have different optics if you can. grow into your optics.

glazer1972
February 22, 2010, 02:44 PM
AR suggestions.

Option 1:
LMT Complete Lower with Two Stage Trigger, and Sopmod Stock and Magpul Trigger Guard.
BCM STD. 16" Midlength Govt. Profile Upper.
Dennys Super Duty M16 Full Auto BCG.
Forged Charging Handle.
Troy Folding Rear Sight.
Pmags.
Daniel Defense Omega 9.0 Rail.
Gear Sector GS2P Sling.

Option2:
LMT Complete Lower with Two Stage Trigger, Sopmod Stock and Magpul Trigger Guard.
BCM STD. 20” Govt. Profile Upper.
Denny's Super Duty M16 Full Auto BCG.
Forged Charging Handle.
Troy Folding Rear Sight.
Pmags.
Daniel Defense Omega 12.0 Rail.
Gear Sector GS2P Sling.

Start at the top. Go down. Stop when you run out of money.

jman841
February 22, 2010, 02:56 PM
How big of an improvement is it to have the 2 stage trigger? I think i am going to build an AR soon to use as practice for military competitions. I was thinking about getting the 2 stage trigger but when we compete we use issued weapons that have the single stages so it might be better in my case to get familiar with the single stage stock trigger. Not sure

BusGunner007
February 22, 2010, 06:32 PM
A Bushmaster Dissipator A2 might be a good first AR15.
I was for me...:D

Edward429451
February 22, 2010, 06:42 PM
The stock triggers are two stage. A Bushmaster xm15e2s 20" standard model was fine for me. I did put a RRA 2 stage match trigger in it, It;s sweet, not terribly light but breaks real clean. Perhaps the way it should be for civilian use.

mesabi
February 22, 2010, 08:54 PM
DPMS Panther Classic. If it is your first one I suggest the basic standard one.

If you think you will like it and want to do all the add ons later I suggest go with one that has a removable carry handle and gas block.

spyderdude
February 22, 2010, 09:34 PM
I own a Smith & Wesson M&P15 and have been real happy with it.

The carbine length which is 16" M4 profile barrel (has M203 grenade launcher slot on it), collapsible stock, flat top receiver is the most popular configuration.

Any of the ones from the big names like Stag Arms, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, S&W, and Colt will do the average person just fine. Most people even myself won't even get close to wearing their AR15s out due to cost of ammunition and maybe even lack of available ammunition. I don't see the need to spend over 2 grand on a higher end rifle that will probably never see extended heavy use. The option of buying a heavy duty rifle is there... just be prepared to pay for it.