PDA

View Full Version : Garand experts - can you diagnose this problem?

GJJ
February 13, 2010, 11:23 PM
I have the following problem all of a sudden with my M1 Garand.

I press down on the clip as I am loading it into my rifle. The bolt releases. But, it does not go forward because I am still applying pressure to the clip (as expected). When I release pressure on the clip, it moves forward as if it is going to load the round. Still, so far so good. I attempt to bump the op rod forward as most M1s require. But, the bolt appears to be stuck on the clip unable to load the first round. If I pull back on the op rod, the clip moves up slighly and when I release the op rod, the rifle loads the round. It does this 25% of the time.

I am not an expert on the functioning of the Garand. But, I think the timing is off. I could be wrong. It is like the clip is going in too far. I have replaced the op rod spring and the follower arm. No improvement.

The rounds are all even in the clip and I am putting pressure directly in the middle of the clip. The only other thing I would add is that every once in a while the clip is even tough to get into the gun.

Any opinions on what could cause this and what it takes to fix it?

Thanks.

Satanic Toaster
February 13, 2010, 11:25 PM
Are you using GI clips or new production?

GJJ
February 14, 2010, 12:41 AM
GI. Round on right side of clip.

TheManHimself
February 14, 2010, 01:24 AM
Does it do it with every clip or just some of them? The clips are thin metal and susceptible to warping and bending.

JR_Roosa
February 14, 2010, 03:29 AM
GI, like HXP GI or Springfield Armory GI?

The HXP clips stink. Too much parkerizing and they aren't quite the right size.

Go through a bunch and find a few that work, or get your hands on some old US manufactured clips and it might help.

Otherwise there might be a mechanical problem with the rifle.

You can also try this...take an empty clip and put it in. Push down the follower while holding the bolt back to get it to release. Does it pass easily over the clip? If not then there's something worn that is keeping the clip from being seated all the way down.

Also, try posting on the CPM forums, there are a lot of very experienced garand folks over there.

-J.

Chris_B
February 14, 2010, 10:15 AM
Where the bullet is in the clip makes no difference. Right or left, all the same

I don't want to rock the boat, but my '44 M1 eats HXP clips like candy

You say the clip moves forward? I don't understand

Is it hard to press the clips in? If so, look at your bullet guide. In fact, check out your bullet guide anyway. I'm wondering if it's deformed or bent. I had a bullet guide with a slight bend in it, and it screwed up everything all day long and twice on sunday. My guide was bent down at the tang with the hole in it

The M1 technical manual says.... "Bolt fails to release after clip is latched"

a- insufficient radii or burrs on catch and operating rod hooks
b- bullet guide low at accelerator bearing point (this makes the accelerator fail to cam up the oprod catch so it can clear the oprod hook. The remedy is 'replace bullet guide')

Hope this helps

Satanic Toaster
February 14, 2010, 11:47 AM
Get some old GI manufacture clips, new production ones stink.
If that doesn't solve the problem, check the clip latch spring. I had one that was getting weak and it had a similar problem seating clips properly.

4EVERM-14
February 14, 2010, 04:38 PM
A correctly timed M1 should release the bolt when the clip reaches the bottom of the magazine well. There is a gauge to check this but the tolerance is only about +/- 1/8" . If the bolt releases early the clip may not be completely seated and the bolt then nudges it into place. Chris_B's post is similar in nature. The catch and hooks may be worn.
Additionally the loaded clip should freely ride the follower without dragging. Load a full clip but do not let the bolt go forward. Press the clip release on the left side of the receiver and the loaded clip should jump completely out of the gun. If not try a different clip or look for impairments in the receiver well.