PDA

View Full Version : Flat-top Ar-15's and Front Sight

sidaemon
February 13, 2010, 01:38 AM
So, I'm looking to make a change...

I currently have a flat-top AR-15 with a 20" stainless steel bull barrel. My wife is going to start shooting this gun, and that barrel is just too heavy for her. I'm looking to change into a matte barrel, but it seems that any barrel that is not stainless steel comes with an integrated front sight.

Personally I use a riser on it, but she prefers the scope mounted right to the top of the rifle, so she can really tuck into the rifle while shooting, so the riser is not an option.

I'm assuming the sight height will obscure the scope but am not sure of how high the sights actually come up, is my assumption here correct? If it is, I assume I'm going to have to go with a shorter bull barrel, just to avoid the problem.

Thanks for the upfront help, zac.

Ridge_Runner_5
February 13, 2010, 02:10 AM
If your scope is magnified to at least 3x, the front sight will be a blur, if its even visible at all...

That said, it might just be easier to buy a 2nd upper half as opposed to changing out the barrel...

sidaemon
February 13, 2010, 02:21 AM
I had considering changing out the upper. She wants to start hunting coyotes with me but doesn't know if she want's an AR. Basically me trying to be cheap as opposed to dropping $500 just to find she doesn't like the rifle...

The scope I'm running now is a 10x.

Midway has a decent 20" fluted barrel that would cut the weight way down, and its pretty affordable. Maybe I'll think about that...

gotigers
February 13, 2010, 08:19 AM
try Adco: http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine_.cfm?product_category=Barrels&subcategory=5.56 Barrels

or

BCM: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-20-Rifle-Length-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-20%20std.htm

at 4x the scope will focus past the front sight. so, at 10 your GTG.

MosinM38
February 13, 2010, 12:13 PM
It's sorta funny.

First: Answering your question: As said above, as long as the scope is 3X or over (mine is), you'll never notice the front sight unless you pull your head waaaaay back from the scope and look through it.

Myself, I prefer the front sight for aesthetic purposes. I personally think having a front sight improves the look on ANY gun...

I personally will never be using iron sights. I have a spare scope and riser for my flat-top AR15. If my current scope ever goes out, the spare will go right back on.

However even so, I went with a flat-top with a front sight :D

Personally, I'd get the whole upper. If she DOESN'T like it, You can regain most of it by reselling. Lightly used uppers bring decent prices.