PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Info

Ishyid
February 11, 2010, 03:19 PM
Okay guys, after looking through all the old forums, I still have questions.

First of all, tell me about the AR-15. I'm looking into buying one at the end of the summer, and don't even know where to start looking. What are some good brands that I should look into. My price range is around a grand.

Would I be better off building one custom or buying a complete rifle. I understand it can be cheaper to build one, but you need to know what you are doing and I would not know what I would be doing.

Lastly, what should I be looking for in a AR-15 when I am searching for possibilitys to purchase. There are so many barrel lengths, twist rates and so on. I'm looking for something to go plinking with, not something that is accurate at extremely long ranges. Mostly up to around 100-150 yards. Anything over that I would be using my precesion rifle.

Oh, and I just wanted to throw this in here to. I bought my first rifle 2 months ago, Remington 700 SPS Varmint, and now all I want to do is shoot and buy more. Thanks a lot guys for not telling me I was going to get addicted... :D

Thanks a bunch,
Joshua

P.S. I know these are newb questions to all you AR-15 fanatics out there, but try and deal with them. It would be greatly appreciated.

RT
February 11, 2010, 04:32 PM
Read this
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

88KEYS
February 11, 2010, 06:30 PM
I have a few of them and have, Colt, Bushmaster, Alexander Arms (50 Beowulf), they are great rifles last fall got the Bushmaster DCM8XR a match service rifle, plan on shooting high power. If you’re looking for a rifle for general shooting a Bushmaster would be a good choice. Then you want to see how you want it set up, most of mine are flat tops. I have an M-4 style with the Eotech sight and use that for just general shooting. Rock River is good most of the new ones are ok, just have used the Bushmasters the most.

I reload but the price of the 55 FMJ stuff is not bad look for some sales.

rdmallory
February 11, 2010, 07:38 PM
Prices are dropping. Look for a good lower then pick out what type of upper you need to fit your needs.

I have just as much building them from scratch as shooting them.

Doug

rjrivero
February 11, 2010, 07:50 PM
www.cdnninvestments.com download their catalog.

Bartholomew Roberts
February 11, 2010, 08:15 PM
If you don't know exactly what it is you want to do with a rifle, a 16" flattop midlength AR wih a 1:7 twist barrel is tough to beat. That is a set-up that is light, handy; but can do almost anything you would want to do with an AR15.

As far as build or complete rifle, you'll pay an 11% excise tax on a complete rifle. If you buy a complete lower, you pay an 11% excise tax on the complete lower. If you buy a stripped lower, you pay the 11% excise tax on that. With a stripped lower, you'll probably pay more in tools to put it together than you'll save in the excise tax; but you can probably save $50-60 by buying a complete lower and then buying the upper separately.

Catfish25p2000
February 11, 2010, 08:45 PM
As far as building one, Midway USA has an awsome video that a 4 year old could understand on building one. Really easy to follow. The best $25 I ever spent. It breaks down every aspect of an AR-15 from the differences in all the different models to changing the mag release. All in different sections. Great video! I think building your first one is a good idea. You will learn every aspect of an AR-15, inside and out. You will be familiar with all the parts and how they work. You can also take your time building one. I would suggest getting the receiver first, get that out of the way, then you can take your time piecing one together. As far as which one to get, 16" barrel, 1/9 or 1/7 twist with the 6 position stock. You wont be disappointed. Keep us posted on your purchase.

DanThaMan1776
February 11, 2010, 08:49 PM
In my opinion, my AR 15 fits the same bill and would work perfectly for you. A 16 inch barrel, 1:9 twist rate. Things I would like to change about my rifle and would recommend you do from the start is to make sure your barrel and receiver are chrome lined. Don't mess around with piston AR's for your first one.

As far as every other dimension of the machine... you will explore the bazillion options as you shoot and learn. What I described is a fantastic platform.

Good luck buddy... you will absolutely love it.

Ishyid
February 12, 2010, 01:12 AM
DanTheMan:

What do you mean chrome lined barrel? And what about the piston?

gotigers
February 12, 2010, 08:23 AM
If you don't build, buy a carbine length like Daniel Defense, S&W. Flat top, 16 inch barrel.

At that price range most of what will be available will be M4 clones. Not much variety. Very good, just all similar. You can driver yourself nuts trying to decide on exactly what you want. Buy or build an M4 clone (M4gery), then add and change as you learn.

Do a little research on AR15.com or M4carbine.net. AR15.com has some hometown forums. Find yours. Get to know the locals that are into the black rifles. Most of them will help you out. We xtreme right wingers stick together. LOL.

RT
February 12, 2010, 01:24 PM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DDXV&groupid=11
DD XV M4 for 999

gotigers
February 12, 2010, 01:57 PM
Bargain bin M4 $600.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=161

KChen986
February 12, 2010, 02:40 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with the Daniel Defense AR listed earlier.

1:7 Twist chrome lined and Cold Hammer Forged barrel
H buffer
M4 feed ramps
Flared mag well

...It's a good starting platform.

===============

My first AR was a Rock River Car-A4. One thing you'll notice about ARs is their tendency to dump carbon back in to the receiver. Doesn't affect reliability, but I found myself scrubbing the bolt tail of my Rock River a lot (not necessary, but if you're OCD like me...).

They shoot soft. Have good accuracy, and are generally a ton of fun. One of my favorite things about them is the modularity. You can tack on a 4x scope for longer ranges, or throw on a red dot for quicker shots.

My advice would be to get a quality M4 copy, then spend money on a carbine class and ammo. It really gets you familiarized with the platform. :D

DanThaMan1776
February 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
Google chrome lined if you have a few minutes. It's exactly as it sounds. The barrel has a thin layer of chrome lining it and it just makes it a tad more reliable and easier to clean. Some say the accuracy is affected a bit, but I have seen guys do amazing things with chrome lined barrels.

NSO_w/_SIG
February 12, 2010, 07:28 PM
What do you mean chrome lined barrel? And what about the piston?

Chromed lined is preferred by most except match target shooters as the chromemoly can be a bit more accurate, but that is splitting hairs in most cases. Also direct impingement works fine in the platform, no extra $$ for piston needed.