PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Recoil buffers

gyvel
January 31, 2010, 09:12 AM
Can anyone supply a link that shows which buffer is correct for a particular model and/or time period on an AR-15 rifle?

GaryM&P
January 31, 2010, 09:42 AM
Such a list would not be accurate as there are too many variables to consider. The ammunition used, the size of the gas port, weight of the bolt carrier, etc, all affect the buffer decision.

The best thing to do is to use the heaviest buffer that will reliably cycle the action with the lightest ammunition that you will be using.

MMcfpd
January 31, 2010, 11:37 AM
The way the question is phrased makes me wonder if the OP is asking about historical configurations. If so, these links might be of use:
Retro Black Rifle (http://retroblackrifle.pullig.com/)
0Colt's USGI M16 series variation guide edition IV (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=241681)
USGI Colt Carbine parts variation guide Edition IV (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=296919)

tirod
January 31, 2010, 10:05 PM
The way the question is phrase can also be taken literally. If it's an AR15 RIFLE a RIFLE buffer is correct. That is the one designed to work with a 20" barrel. Carbines use carbine buffers - in the 16" range. If shorter, then others, such as the H2 or 3 are used.

Usually, the shorter the barrel, the sharper the recoil impulse imparted to the bolt carrier, and the heavier the weight needed. In general tho, this has already been sorted out and will be correctly supplied with a firearm.

gyvel
February 1, 2010, 05:04 AM
Such a list would not be accurate as there are too many variables to consider. The ammunition used, the size of the gas port, weight of the bolt carrier, etc, all affect the buffer decision.

The best thing to do is to use the heaviest buffer that will reliably cycle the action with the lightest ammunition that you will be using.

I'm restoring a very early 1965 production SP-1 (s/n/ 51xx) and I'm trying to get the correct buffer for it. Not concerned about shooting it at all.

The way the question is phrased makes me wonder if the OP is asking about historical configurations. If so, these links might be of use:

Yes, exactly. Thanks for the links.

The way the question is phrase can also be taken literally. If it's an AR15 RIFLE a RIFLE buffer is correct. That is the one designed to work with a 20" barrel. Carbines use carbine buffers - in the 16" range. If shorter, then others, such as the H2 or 3 are used.

This is a restoration project of a 1965 SP-1 (s/n 51xx) AR-15 RIFLE. I am looking for the correct buffer as was used in that time frame.

gyvel
February 1, 2010, 05:12 AM
Eureka! I just went to the Retro Black Rifle site and found out my rifle is correct with the early Edgewater style buffer, which, to my great joy, I discovered I have in my spare parts.

Many thanks, MMcfpd!

flight954
February 1, 2010, 10:25 AM
Standard weight buffer=typical .223/5.56 1:7 and 1:9 twist barrels
H weight buffer=.223Wylde 1:8 twist heavy barrels
H1 weight buffer=9mm AR
H2 weight buffer=5.7 x 28 AR57 upper
This info. may not be perfect, but it's what I presently run on my various set up AR's and all perform flawlessly and are accurate