PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of the Mini-14...

jrothWA
January 30, 2010, 05:02 PM
182-89XXX Sn series.

when made, reliabilty.

repair frequency?

would you bet your life on it or get a 7.62X39 rifle?

Have commonality of .223 ammo, nothing in 7.62X39

NickySantoro
January 30, 2010, 05:59 PM
From info at the Ruger site it appears your 182 series was made in 1981. I have a 185 series bought new and have had zero problems. As far as betting my life on it, I would not hesitate to do so. While Minis, except for the latest versions, are not known for precision accuracy, my Mini will shoot minute of chest past 300 yards every time with decent ammo.
FWIW
YMMV

FS2K
January 30, 2010, 06:06 PM
Stick to Ruger Factory Magazines and reliability issues will be minimal, still, it would be a good idea to thoroughly test ALL magazines till broken in and cull out those with problems. The 7.62 X 39 (Mini-30) is a decent rifle.

mnhntr
January 30, 2010, 06:11 PM
Good, fun/range gun. Not the most accurate rifle built. Functions well and does not jam often like the cheaper rifles in it category. It is no AR though.

Microgunner
January 30, 2010, 06:26 PM
I've owned (2) Mini-14 Ranch Rifles. Both were reasonably reliably, neither were accurate. They disappointed me and I really wanted to like them.

Lawyer Daggit
January 30, 2010, 06:38 PM
I owned a mini 14, a mini 14 ranch rifle and a mini 30 at various times before ownership of them in Australia was effectively banned.

I concur with the last post- I also wanted to like them, found them reliable, but could not cope with their abysmal accuracy, as it did not breed confidence.

22-rimfire
January 30, 2010, 07:22 PM
Fun rifles. I would bet my life on one with Ruger Mags. They shoot dirty which I like. They shoot well enough for general shooting. They never were target rifles. The current ones are supposed to shoot better, but I haven't shot one.

Composer_1777
January 30, 2010, 07:31 PM
Just buy one. I love the mini-14 . For precision Use a 308 - For mid/close range spray and pray use a Mini-14 . I would not want to use the AR as a precision rifle with a .223 or 556. Get the target model if you want accuracy but then you lose the beauty of iron site spraying on targets.

NESHOOTER
January 30, 2010, 10:08 PM
Composer_1777

Do it!!!! And you'll be like the rest of us... and yes I would and do depend on it for my life.

Swampghost
January 30, 2010, 11:41 PM
I have one of the original 181's that I bought in 1976 and it's never missed a beat. Accuracy is on a par with all of the AK's that I've shot.

T. O'Heir
January 30, 2010, 11:57 PM
Over priced and inaccurate, but usually 100% reliable. Triggers are poor, sights are poor, barrels are poor. Great fun to shoot though.
"...bet your life on it..." Works every time. That's extremely important in a rifle you want to use in a fight. Moreso than excellent accuracy. Wouldn't reach for one if my M1 Carbine and my handloads were close.
"...will shoot minute of chest..." An elephant's chest?

jkohler
January 31, 2010, 12:02 AM
if not cleaned all the time can jam would not bet my life :mad: on them only an ak for sure at close range and center mass or a rem 700 vsf for sniping :) good luck

Brenten
January 31, 2010, 11:41 AM
I have had mine since 1989 and the only jam I had was with a bad mag, and I never cleaned it. Very reliable. Accuracy is better than my AK's. The M1 action is solid and stout. Great gun. get one.

qwman68
February 1, 2010, 02:09 AM
i have a 580 series 223/5.56 Ranch Rifle and with my 69gr. handloads i can hit a 12"x12" target at 300 yrds. all day long. Handloads was the best thing i ever done to my ranch rifle. Local gunsmith did some trigger work on it and a new stock and its a fine shooter. Just my opinion but i would say its far more reliable than an AR. Lots of rifles can be made to be better than they used to be just by spending a little money on upgrades. If you will do that with your mini you will have a very good rifle that is accurate and dependable..

Art Eatman
February 1, 2010, 11:42 AM
My experience with older Minis is that they are great hunting rifles. The reliability of the rifle is excellent; the only trouble comes from some magazines. Once a mag tests out okay, they're plenty good for any self-defense situation.

They aren't benchrest target guns.

I tend to think they're now over-priced, but after reading through the current "Gun Digest", every bleeping thing is over-priced. :( But all us Olde Pharts live in a world of on-going sticker shock. :)

MosinM38
February 1, 2010, 12:49 PM
My take:

They're good guns, reliable, not the most "ergonomic", but what do you need?

I like mine, it's reliable, accurate with a little touch (below).

The Mini has gotten a bad rep because of two things.

#1 Is in-accuracy. MY gun and dads, and my uncles, were all wide groupers..UNTIL...the gas block screws (Which clamps around the front of the barrel), were loosened some and loc-tited in. Once loosened, the groups were approximately halved. My Mini will go into 2" easily enough and dad's will hit 1.5" easy.

#2. Is magazine problems. Here's the thing.
A. Stick to Ruger magazines. The company is now making hi capacity for sale to civilians and prices are "Decent", more expensive than AR mags but not bad.

or B. I have had great experiance with CERTAIN ProMag magazines.
B1. The Thermolds of their manufacture are JUNK in my experiance. All have had feeding problems, and when dropped,w ill pop the top 4 rounds out of the magazine.
B2. Their steel 30 rounders are pretty good. i've had feeding trouble with about 1/4 of the ones I've tried. The others run good.
B3. Their 20 round steels are high quality. Better than most ProMag magazines. I haven't had a failure to feed with a 20 rounder that wasn't ammo related.
B4. I have only tried one of their 40 rounders. Not a hitch so far, but it could be hit or miss.

Overall, with a little work, a Mini is a good gun.

Skans
February 1, 2010, 03:12 PM
Any Mini-14 can be made to be every bit as accurate as an AR-15.....but it will cost you. Basically, the problem with the old mini-14's is the barrel and the fact that the action would come a little lose in the stock.

From a reliability standpoint, the Ruger Mini-14's are exceptionally reliable and durable. I like the look and feal of a good Mini-14 over an AR15, but recognize that it might take $700+ to get it to the way I really like it.

hagar
February 1, 2010, 04:20 PM
Minis do not like surplus ammo, load a 64 grain Winchester PP bullet in it, and you may change your mind about it's accuracy. I have an 188 series I bought new in 1990, and shot some groups that would astound you. Could easily hit a milk jug at 300 yards. That rifle has never ever jammed on me either.

Skans
February 1, 2010, 04:41 PM
Minis do not like surplus ammo,

I don't know about surplus ammo, but I shoot Wolf steel-cased el-cheapo ammo and reloads in my AC556 (FA mini-14) and it eats both up like candy.:)

dgludwig
February 1, 2010, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't be without one. They are reliable in the extreme, durable and, though no tack-driver, accurate enough for their intended purposes: mine delivers three inch, five-shot groups @ 100 yards with the factory irons and using factory ball ammo all day long. I like its handling and "fun" quotient best and I consider Mini-14s to be semi-auto Winchester Model 94s. Just don't try to turn this little carbine into something it was never intended to be and you'll never be disappointed with it.

Would I trust my life to one? You bet!

Nnobby45
February 1, 2010, 05:15 PM
None of my 3 Mini-14's have ever hiccuped once. Series 181, a Ranch, and my newer 581 series which has the thicker tapered bbl.

One drawback on orig. models is xtra thin bbl. that heats up and changes bullet impact. Not designed for running full mags rapid fire. After that you're reduced to covering fire. Will need to do some more rapid fire testing to see how the new one holds up.

All exhibit good enough (for me) combat accuracy. They aren't my hunting rifles.

Skans
February 1, 2010, 05:27 PM
I've heard of people complaining about the "thin" barrels on the Mini-14. In my opinion this is not accurate at all. Try taking the measurement of an FNC barrel, or even one of the older Colt SP1 barrles - they are about the same thickness as the Mini-14 barrel. It's only a .223! There is no reason to have a thick heavy barrel on it...no, not even for full-auto fire.

There are several reasons why the Mini-14 isn't as accurate as the AR15 right out of the box. The biggest reason has to do with the standard stocks. Just bedding the stock will help the Mini-14's accuracy substantially. Also, getting the barrel professionally crowned helps. The chamber isn't as tight as that of the newer AR15's either.

The other problem is the inability to mount good sights and optics on the non-ranch models. Arguably another reason is because the barrels aren't free-floating like on many of the newer AR's.

"Thin Barrel Syndrome" was something made up by AR15 owners and aftermarket barrel manufacturers.

Seagoing
February 1, 2010, 11:13 PM
I had a stainless/wood mini in the early 1980s.
I didn't know it then, but this was one of the "thin barrel" ones.
Since I didn't know it was supposed to be lousy, I shot just fine with it.
Well, I thought so, anyway...
I wasn't in matches or anything, just shooting my 5-round magazine,
walking out to my 100 yard target to check, and doing it again.
This was with the factory sights, and my groups (I didn't know about groups, either)
could typically be covered with a paperback book.
What did I know... I thought this was prety good for offhand shooting.
I sold this one a few years later to buy a Win 94 like my Granddad's.

Well, 25 years went by (in about a minute and a half)...
A month ago I bought another one in blued/wood.
I love it just as much.

Neither one is going to win the "one-holer" award.
But... so what ?
For that you buy a varmint rifle.

Tuzo
February 2, 2010, 12:33 AM
"Thin" barrel that is.

I like my Ranch Mini-14 a lot. According to the manual it is chambered for .223and 5.56 and actually does shoot those calibers in real life. A previous poster explained that they did not know their Mini was supposed to be inaccurate, neither did I. Someone forgot to tell our rifles. Mine shoots 1.5" groups with scope and about 6" groups with iron sights at 100 yards. Got rid of the scope because it is more fun shooting without it. Bullet weights range from 52 to 69 grains.

I am quite satisfied with the Mini and shoot a "thick" barreled Savage 12 for 1/2" groups whenever the urge to outshoot the Mini comes over me.

benroe
February 2, 2010, 04:35 AM
I had a mini 14, but there was just something lacking with it for me. It just didn't push the buttons like my AR does.

JH1
February 2, 2010, 10:30 AM
Waaay to expensive for what it is. But I am a firm believer that if ruger would put good barrels, good triggers, and decent sights on their basic ranch model, these things would sell faster than they could make em. If a mini would shoot as good as an average bolt gun of the same caliber, they would make the ar15's being used for coyote hunting obsolete for that purpose. The mini is much handier than an ar and has a rock solid action.

Not saying that ar's would be gone in general, but for hunting purposes an accurate mini would be king. The "target" model that ruger came out with is an abomination.:barf:

Seagoing
February 2, 2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I have to agree that minis are too expensive as is.
My new plain jane model was like 800 bucks !
These things do sell, and their owners generally like them a lot.
So a few improvements like those listed above would make these things really shine.

And I don't see any reason why Ruger can't offer them in a few more calibers as well.
Somehow the BAR and Woodsmaster are able to do it.

Art Eatman
February 2, 2010, 11:25 AM
JH1, how many shots does it take you to hit a rabbit or coyote? I've always figured that the first shot is the most important, and maybe on rare occasions a second shot is needed.

For my four early-barrel Minis, the first couple of shots were always as close to the desired point of impact as my own shooting skill allowed. Repeat, "always".

I dunno. I just figure that if I hit a rabbit or coyote at a hundred yards on the first shot--as I generally did--that's about as good as any rifle ever made can do.

sonick808
February 2, 2010, 11:30 AM
I wanted to like my stainless mini14 as well. It was new in 2000 when I bought it. I ended up selling it when thinning my collection to make room (and for moving money); i couldn't deal with missing entire target squares at 250 yards from a sandbag anymore.

sold under full disclosure; the shop was aware of this issue already. They still sell at 600$ and up.....

JH1
February 2, 2010, 12:09 PM
Art,

I GENERALLY hit what I'm shooting at, generally being used very loosely. But if killing what I was shooting at with the first shot was my goal, I'd have a bolt gun in my hands, not a mini. I've owned 2 mini 14's, and neither would hit poa on the first shot. You'd be lucky to hit within three or four inches of your intended target. I'm not saying the mini is junk, but I am definetely saying it is overpriced for what it is. Its not that you always need a semi-auto, but its nice to have the capability of more than one well placed shot if you do need it.

jrothWA
February 2, 2010, 11:35 PM
Looks like I'm laying some money down.

Ruger4570
February 2, 2010, 11:55 PM
It is pretty sad when a Ruger 10-22 is far more accurate than a Mini costing several times the price.

zombieslayer
February 3, 2010, 12:53 AM
I bought a mini-14 "tactical" model for $650 new at a gunshow a few months ago. It's accurate enough and I can definitely say it runs fine dirty.

RPSmith
February 3, 2010, 01:48 AM
I am moving on after putting much time and effort into making mine shoot 'well'.

It never really did. I spent enough money on the rifle and the improvements to afford a platform that would offer me more in return upon its sale.

I won't speak ill of the brand or the rifle. Everybody has their requirements and expectations.

I will say that the money that I'll be getting upon its sale will go toward something that is reliable, accurate, and worth the investment. Something that my current mini is lacking in all respects.

TheManHimself
February 3, 2010, 07:39 AM
More reliable but less accurate than a cheap AR. Not nearly as good as a quality (Colt, LMT, BCM, Noveske) AR, but much cheaper. Slightly more accurate than a quality AK.

Rifles are like anything else: you can get one supremely accurate; reliable; cheap - but only two at a time.

skoro
February 3, 2010, 08:13 AM
I'd kinda wanted a Mini-14 for the past 30 years, but it was never at the top of my priority list. Finally got one of the new 580 series back in September. Mounted a Burris Timberline 2-7x26mm scope on it and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Each of my shooting pals who've shot it have liked it, too. It can consistently hit a 12x12" iron plate at 400 yards using el cheapo Russian ammo. Not a tackdriver, but that's not at all what it's designed for.

Art Eatman
February 3, 2010, 11:26 AM
JH1, one thing we're agreed on about the Mini: Priced too high. :) That's why I don't have one now. Dunno why I whine about the price, though. I spent a Mini's worth of money on a CMMG flat-top upper for my Colt; yeah, it's an MOA or less critter. :D Sorta silly to put that much money into a truck gun.

Still sorta wish I hadn't traded off that last Mini I had, though...

MosinM38
February 3, 2010, 07:19 PM
That's what I don't get...

One reason I got my Mini was because it was FAR, FAR cheaper than an AR (Especially since it was at the height of the Assault Rifle buying frenzy).

Now...when a guy wants $600 for a Mini-14.....just...why?

Admittedly, the new Mini's might be good for that. They seem more accurate OOB and don't have the barrel-heating problem. But on the NEW Mini's they want $800........

2rugers
February 3, 2010, 07:57 PM
Where do you guys buy your guns?

Gunbroker.com, new mini's are $599.00 all day.

You can even get new Target thumbhole laminated versions for under $700.00.

Good used versions, even newer stainless versions with the heavier barrel are in the $500.00 range.

qwman68
February 3, 2010, 08:07 PM
+++1 on themanhimself's comment. That is spot on. I like mine. I think its better than a cheap ar. I also think the barrel on the cheap ar is a little thin too.. Im just sayin.....

TriumphGuy
February 3, 2010, 09:43 PM
I'm with 2Rugers. Mine was $600 new for a stainless 580 series. I slapped a Mo-Rod on there for $80 and I guarantee you that it will shoot as good or better than a $680 AR (if you can find one).

Single Six
February 5, 2010, 05:07 AM
I can only speak for myself here,but...ARs cost a fortune . Mini 14s do not . As issued,ARs frighten the gun-ignorant public with their "assault rifle" look . The Mini 14,as it comes from the factory with it's wood stock and 5 round magazine,has a much softer public image . Most importantly,I've seen ARs jam . I've NEVER seen a Mini 14 jam . To me,reliability is the number one priority . Give me a Mini any day of the week .

rshanneck2002
February 5, 2010, 06:37 AM
My Saiga .223 shot better at 100 yds(much better) than my mini at the time,all over a target at 100 no matter what kind of ammo i used, SOLD IT. Got twice for what i payed for it though. For $700-800 bucks dont think so again,might try a Mini-30 if i could find a deal. I never understood why Ruger didnt do better back a few yrs ago,but i havent had a whole lotta success in the accuracy dept with Rugers over the yrs. Buy the way at the time of purchase i paid $189.00 plus tax for the Saiga and was very satisfied for the $ neither matched my Bushmaster though. $700., dont think so.

KMO
February 7, 2010, 03:50 PM
To me, reliability is the number one priority. Give me a Mini any day of the week.

+1 to that! I'd take the quality of the Mini-14 over any Russian-made firearm.

Nnobby45
February 7, 2010, 05:23 PM
It's only a .223! There is no reason to have a thick heavy barrel on it...no, not even for full-auto fire.

What ever you say Skans. Must be a conincidence that my accuracy disappears and the zero wanders when the bbl. heats up--every time. I'm talking about my Series 181's.

Just talking about the extra thin bbl that allows it to heat up so fast, and no one's advocated a "thick heavy" bbl.

My newer 581 Series has a thicker tapered bbl. Haven't tested it yet to see if that helps the problem. Maybe that's the one you're referring to.

KMO
February 8, 2010, 07:35 AM
...my accuracy disappears and the zero wanders when the bbl. heats up--every time. I'm talking about my Series 181's. Just talking about the extra thin bbl that allows it to heat up so fast...

This problem is easily mitigated, and you don't have to change the barrel or spend much money.

JH1
February 8, 2010, 08:44 AM
I've been looking into the different barrel stabilizers on the market that are supposed to improve the accuracy of the mini 14/30. As much as I ripped the mini for accuracy earlier in this thread, an ACCURATE mini would be an awesome weapon. I'm seriously considering buying a used mini and see what can be done to make it better. The two I've owned in the past were before barrel stabilizers came out, so its worth a try.

NightSleeper
February 8, 2010, 10:29 AM
I'd take an AR-15 over a Mini-14 any day of the week. But if $$$ is the issue, why not a Mini-14? Or, why not an AK clone? They typically go for the same as a Mini-14, plus you get the 7.62 round.

Art Eatman
February 8, 2010, 10:36 AM
JH1, as long as all I put in is labor, I don't mind messing and tweaking toward improvement. I'm just a cheapskate when it comes to buying "stuff" or paying for somebody else's labor. :)

From all the Internet commentary through the years, it seems like checking the alignment of the gas port and block is worthwhile; sometimes they're not quite righteous. Some have seen improvement from these flash-hider gizmos which are held in place by the front-sight pin; maybe they do a bit of vibration damping; I dunno.

I'm a natural-born pessimist about any rifle with a barrel band. Differential heating means variance of imposed stress on the barrel. Note that the super-group ARs are mostly free-floated...

JH1
February 8, 2010, 12:06 PM
Art, I dont know if your familiar with them buy you may give a look at the websites for the accu strut, the har bar, and the mo rod. A friend of mine has the accu strut and swears by it. Claims it more than cut his groups in half.

Art Eatman
February 8, 2010, 09:34 PM
I'll keep the Accu-Strut in mind if I trade into a Mini. Don't have one at the moment...

Regolith
February 8, 2010, 09:46 PM
You can build your own Accu-strut. You just need a length of steel bar of the appropriate diameter (I think it's 5/8") and a pair of barrel clamps.

I may do that to my Mini if it needs it; hopefully it won't. It's a brand new 581 series, which has a significantly thicker barrel. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet to see what it's capable of.

KMO
February 8, 2010, 10:03 PM
You just need a length of steel bar of the appropriate diameter (I think it's 5/8") and a pair of barrel clamps.

Hmmm...Really? Maybe a 9/16" lag bolt and a couple of old radiator hose clamps out of the garage would do the trick too? I'm all for the guy who can do it himself, but there is a place for aesthetics and precision, isn't there?

Regolith
February 8, 2010, 10:19 PM
Hmmm...Really? Maybe a 9/16" lag bolt and a couple of old radiator hose clamps out of the garage would do the trick too? I'm all for the guy who can do it himself, but there is a place for aesthetics and precision, isn't there?

The one's I've seen (http://perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68041) were a bit more sophisticated (http://perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74403), and didn't look all that bad.

Yeah, the Mo-rod, Aaccustrut, etc look better, but they're also expensive. If you don't care so much about aesthetics and are short on scratch, building one yourself for $30 or so is pretty attractive.

KMO
February 8, 2010, 11:14 PM
I was just havin' fun. Honestly, if a guy can make his own stuff, more power to him...;)

Nickanto
February 8, 2010, 11:16 PM
I've got a Mini for about 8 years now. It has 3000+ rounds of Wolf only and it has yet to have a hiccup. I'll get around to cleaning it someday!!!!

KMO
February 9, 2010, 08:22 AM
I've got a Mini for about 8 years now. It has 3000+ rounds of Wolf only and it has yet to have a hiccup. I'll get around to cleaning it someday!!!!

Alas, men...What have we come to? ...Where are the standards?

bamaranger
February 10, 2010, 01:50 AM
these days is the AR family, w/ so many models, variations, and manufacturers out there, the Mini has taken a back seat. I have not read all posts, but here is my two cents.

My experience w/ them has been positive. For a period of 5 yrs +/- they were the duty carbine of my agency. The 4 that were at my station were reliable, and had genuine Ruger hi-cap mags. Now that ruger has seen fit to mfg and ship quality hi-cap mags again, I think the complaints on Mini reliability will diminish.

I recently read an article that commented on the varying rifling twist rates that Ruger has used over the years. Some of the inaccuracy stories out there are likely linked to twist rates and mismatched bullet weights. The same article discussed worn out tooling and retooling recently for a better Mini.

What about cost? You can still wander down to Wally World and plunk down what, $600-700 bucks and get a Mini (I've not priced them recently, could they possibly be more???) which is about half or less for what a AR product is going.

And there are lots of us that like wood and steel, and that Garand inspired action, which does not crap where it eats. Witness the recent development of piston driven AR's.

I drive a Mini-30 these days, 'cause I think the x39 is a better suited deer round, and at the time of purchase, x39 ammo WAS cheap. I think its predecessor the Mini14 is a dandy little rifle as well.

dgludwig
February 10, 2010, 05:56 PM
Me too. The Mini-14 is everything Ruger intended it to be and nothing less (and, to be fair, little more).

MosinM38
February 10, 2010, 06:29 PM
AR15's can be gotten assembled for around $900.

I put a upper and lower together to make a full AR15 for $720. No parts fitting, just snapping the two together.

New Mini14's are around $600 for a old style (Still a few in stores) and $750 for a new style.

I love the Mini14, but it's overpriced for what it is.....

LukeA
February 10, 2010, 09:40 PM
Bud's has them for $100 less than that.

MosinM38
February 11, 2010, 08:14 AM
At the shop yeah. But what about shipping? Then the FFL transfer price?

I was implying basic over-the-counter at the local gunshop :) Most local dealers seem to be around $50-$100 over what the online dealers are.

joehorner
February 15, 2010, 08:14 PM
I own a early standard mini made in the early 1990's. Just not a big fan of an AR. It seems every time I do an improvement it seems to get a little better. I installed a MoRod last year. It made it more accurate and also acted as a heat sink. The more I tinker with it the more I like it. I don't hunt but as a small guage plinker it just a good dependable rifle. Had an issue with it last year (breaking 2 firing pins in under 20 rounds). Called Ruger. They said "sent it back". I am not the original owner. They installed a new "Ranch bolt". New ranch bolt stop assembly. New gas piston and gas bushing. Replaced the gas screws and cleaned and reblued the op-rod. Got it back in 4 weeks. NO CHARGE. Man did they write the book on customer service. Also when you call them they answer the phone right away and speak perfect English. No press 1/2/3/4. I think I will keep it..............Joe

LukeA
February 15, 2010, 08:55 PM
At the shop yeah. But what about shipping? Then the FFL transfer price?

I was implying basic over-the-counter at the local gunshop Most local dealers seem to be around $50-$100 over what the online dealers are.

Shipping is included in that price and FFL transfer depends on where you go. If they say $50 you should be looking elsewhere.

ROGER4314
February 15, 2010, 09:47 PM
I like the model with the M14 style rear sight. As stated in several posts, that skinny barrel is a pain. As soon as it heats up, point of impact starts wandering. I put scopes on several of them but that was a waste of time & money. That rifle is best left as a light, handy, iron sight shooter.

That being said, I love the appearance of the rifle, the simplicity and light weight. The Mini 14 is a neat design, too. The gas piston is attached to the barrel and immobile. The gas Cylinder moves with the operating rod. It's backwards from the normally accepted design!

I'll echo what was said before. Stay away from non factory mags!

I had a Mini 30 and it shot a bit more accurately than the Mini 14.

Great rifle. NOT a match rifle.

Flash

Ignition Override
February 16, 2010, 02:30 AM
Russian ammo produced in the last so many years is not surplus.

Many people appear to assume that lower-cost foreign ammo must be surplus.
This confusion might lead many to also conclude that such ammo is corrosive (not).

Maybe these stories have kept the prices of Wolf/Bear/Tiger/Monarch/Ulyanovsk 7.62x39 from going higher.
From the view of so many, shooting very over-priced, US-made ammo at bricks and other fun targets seems ludicrous, as with using new 8mm Mauser for the same purpose.

My Mini 14 (built around '90), using around 1,200 rds. of only Wolf ammo, never had a single glitch, ftf etc. The polymer Promag 30-rounder was wobbly, and only loaded to about 6-12 rounds (to conserve ammo), but still, no misfeeds.
This was better than a buddy's WASR AK "clone". After shooting about 70 rounds, he had either a misfeed or fail- to- extract.
My Mini 14 and 30 have a much better feel (ergo-) and almost no recoil.