PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 is yesterdays news??

CK_32
January 14, 2010, 10:49 PM
So i was in the gun store earlier today and was looking at the gun rack and was asking a few questions about a remington 7 series rifle. The clerk asked me if i wanted one and i told him no but i previously just purchased one and he told me that remington 700 are yesterdays news and that the Savages and Howa rifles are the new thing ad remingtons rep and quality in presition and rifles have gone to sh*t.

Is this true or was this just more talk from a bias gun user?

brmfan
January 14, 2010, 11:06 PM
Doesn't sound biased at all, and I'm sure he doesn't have stacks of Savages and Howas collecting dust in inventory that he desparately needs to unload either. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

CK_32
January 14, 2010, 11:51 PM
Yea see thats what i thought also i always thought the gun shop was the place to get good quality info but lately iv just been getting alot of bias answers and simply wrong answers to help their sales than give quality information. :confused::confused::confused:

January 15, 2010, 12:05 AM
I don't know if it's true, but it could be good news. If Rem 700s are "old news" the price should go down. :p

Either that, or they'll be considered collector pieces and the price will go way up. :eek:

hometheaterman
January 15, 2010, 11:18 AM
Seems true to me. Look at all the posts on here about quality issues with their new 700's. Then look at all the posts about how great the Savages are and how great they work. I've seen many many posts of people saying they own older 700's and love them but wouldn't buy a new one. I don't own a old one but I wouldn't even consider a new one with all the other brands out there that are so much better.

I've also read some posts from gun shop owners on here saying they are having trouble selling Remington guns.

BTW Remingtons quality issues aren't just with the 700. It's with the rest of their guns too.

Remington quality control just doesn't seem to be very good in the experience I've had with them. I highly doubt I'd buy another one unless it was a old one they made back when they actually made quality guns.

rickyjames
January 15, 2010, 11:31 AM
the problems with remington have increased dramaticaly in recent years. almost every gun board has seen more than its share of these posts. it is clear that remington is trying to add more affordable guns to it's line and most of these guns have been bothered by poor quality to poor accuracy to guns that are broken. not long ago remington was the first name in shotguns and rifles. these days i'm not sure they are in the top 3.

Snakum
January 15, 2010, 11:41 AM
He ain't BS'n ya. I have been a supporter and defender of Remington for a long time. But after four bad guns in just nine months and NO help from Remington on any of them I'm thru. I've now joined the chorus lamenting the sad decline of an icon.

I wouldn't hunt with a 700 made in the last five years if you gave me one and $100 to do it. Go to Google and search on "Remington" and "problem" and spend just ten minutes looking thru the results. You'll understand why the dealer told you that and you'll probably buy a reasonably priced American made weapon from Winchester, Savage, Thompson/Center, or Marlin (until Cerberus wrecks Marlin like they have Remington, anyway).

JackL
January 15, 2010, 01:20 PM
CK 32 said:
i always thought the gun shop was the place to get good quality info

Ideally it is, but a bit of skepticism is always in order ...

Have you seen this thread? (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390915) :D

shooter_john
January 15, 2010, 01:35 PM
I like Remington and Savage, probably about the same. And I will say that the last Remington that I bought, which I sold two Savages to finance, shoots significantly better than either of those Savage did. The MOST accurate rifle I own though happens to be a Savage with a McGowen barrel. I will welcome with open arms any 'crap' 700's any of you guys will send my way!

Mike Irwin
January 15, 2010, 02:09 PM
I don't care if the 700 is yesterday's news or not, it has been for many years, and likely will continue to be, my top candidate when I'm buying a modern bolt action rifle. Granted, I'll be more likely to buy an older one...

Dannyl
January 15, 2010, 02:42 PM
I have a Remington 700 in 30-06 (bought it in 96), and I'll be happy to grow old (older, I am also "old news") with it as my competition and hunting rifle.

Only mod I have done is replace the extractor with a SAKO extractor (done by a gunsmith)

Brgds,

Danny

rjrivero
January 15, 2010, 02:54 PM
My 700 is from 1999. I love it. Lucky? I guess.

rantingredneck
January 15, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have two. One circa '97 and one from '07. Aside from the J-lock that was present in the later example (which I've replaced with a Callahan bolt shroud/firing pin assembly) I can tell no difference between them. both built solid and shoot to 1 MOA if I feed them well and do my part.

hickstick_10
January 15, 2010, 03:34 PM
I wouldnt own a remington if someone gave one to me.

Just was never impressed with there quality. My opinions on Savage have changed greatly though since they got some nice looking rifles nowadays, and there muzzleloader is something to behold.

davlandrum
January 15, 2010, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't hunt with a 700 made in the last five years if you gave me one and $100 to do it.

I'll hunt with any rifle anyone wants to give me for free!!!!

Problem with going by postings is people who do have a problem, post about it. Most of those that don't have a problem, don't post about it. Creates a false frequency of problems.

My SPS 700 30-06 is everything I hoped it would be and more.

F=ma
January 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
I'm definitely not a Remi fanboy, but my 2006-vintage Lightweight Stainless Mountain in 7mm-08 has become my favorite sporter. Fantastic fit/finish, great accuracy, and easy on the shoulder (both walking and shooting). I went into the store set on an A-Bolt, but the fit/feel of the 700 LSS won me over.

geetarman
January 15, 2010, 05:19 PM
I have an older 700BDL that was bought in 1978 or so and a 700P that I bought on 2009.

No problems except a trigger job done on the 700P.

Both rifles shoot just fine.:D

Kawabuggy
January 15, 2010, 06:09 PM
I have never been a fan of Remington. My experiences with them have shown me only lack-luster accuracy. Maybe I just have not been around enough of them to come across a good one.

Cheapshooter
January 15, 2010, 06:29 PM
Can't wait to buy up some of those outdated "so yesterday" Remingtons!!! LOL

.300 Weatherby Mag
January 15, 2010, 06:34 PM
Nothing wrong with the 700, it just needs to be put together right from the get go... They don't seem to be able to do that consistenly right now nor fix the lemons they are putting out... I don't hate remington, they have lost my loyalty... They are what I grew up on and it's a shame I go out and buy a new 700 with the confidence that it will be a performer out of the box... My last 3 remingtons all had issues and required significant attention before they would even function adequentely much less accurately... Have forsaken all 700s?? No.. I just bought one but it's 9 years old and I've seen how it performs.... I realize that companies put out lemons, but when they fail to correct the problem, thats another set of issues all together.. Ask the owner of my local shop, who is a full line dealer... He is fed up with remington and their lack of cooperation when it comes to rectifying problems...

Abel
January 15, 2010, 07:46 PM
he told me that remington 700 are yesterdays news

Yes.

DiscoRacing
January 15, 2010, 07:49 PM
well i DO have a 700.... but... I also have the savages and a howa... guess im still keepin up with the jones's:cool:

olyinaz
January 15, 2010, 08:46 PM
I think what he said is true to a point but I tell you this: Remington 700s still fly off the shelves in Tucson in droves - especially when they're on sale.

Regards,
Oly

geetarman
January 15, 2010, 10:20 PM
Oly,

I hear that. I am in Gilbert and when I went looking for a bolt .308, there were two (700Ps ) on the shelves. I tried each one and picked one to buy. The next day, the other one was gone. They did not last long on the shelf at all.

I have really been pleased with mine.

thekyrifleman
January 15, 2010, 11:38 PM
I have 5...dating from 1966 to 2005...All have shot extremely well out of the box....just lucky I guess...check that, one is a custom 7STW on a 700 action. That also shoots extremely well....

Art Eatman
January 16, 2010, 12:30 AM
I've heard some amazing statements from gun store clerks. Same for gunsmiths, for that matter.

Unless you know something about the person, about all I can say is to keep the salt shaker handy.

Davlandrum's comment, "Problem with going by postings is people who do have a problem, post about it. Most of those that don't have a problem, don't post about it. Creates a false frequency of problems." seems to be very much apropos.

gman3
January 16, 2010, 12:36 AM
I bought one brand new in the box in 1985 in Norfolk Va. It was a 700 bdl chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. It was a really nice looking rifle. The only problem with it was that the safety required a phenomenal effort to move from safe to fire, so much so that it was painful in normal weather, and nearly impossible with cold hands. I sold it to someone with a bigger thumb. I have bought probably 25 rifles since then and have never considered buying another Remington. That turned me off to them. I do however like their shotguns.

Fat White Boy
January 16, 2010, 01:28 AM
I bought a 700 VLS in .308 about 5 years ago. It was good out of the box. Everything was smooth and very accurate. It has a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 and I did change out the stock, replacing the laminated stock with a synthetic. I thought the wood was a little flashy....It is a shooter....

Big_G
January 16, 2010, 01:58 PM
You guys need to stop & think a minute. Theres never been a gun manufacturer on the planet that has not had some of their products returned with problems. Also, do some research & you will find that the military and law enforcement services have the vast majority of their rifles built on Remington 700 actions. Also if you do more reasearch you will find that a vast majority of the custom hunting rifles are built on Remington 700 actions. The 700 action is the most used action on the planet as a basis for a highly accurate rifle. But I do agree some what to Remingtons going down hill the last few years. They don't seem to have the knowledgeable personell they did in previous years. They seem to have lost sight of what made them great.

CK_32
January 16, 2010, 03:35 PM
I think i just found my answer on this video but for everyone else wondering the same thing i was. If they were old news then why are 95% of these guns remingtons or custome remingtons. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dU7R4KVKZc

Water-Man
January 16, 2010, 03:47 PM
Remington 700 is yesterday's news as far as I'm concerned. Their quality today doesn't justify their prices IMO. There are better choices. Remington needs to get their act together or suffer the consequences.

aerod1
January 16, 2010, 04:07 PM
There is no way I would be afraid to buy a Remington product. I have Remmy rifles and shotguns and would buy again in a heartbeat.
I have always liked Remington products!!:)

Big_G
January 16, 2010, 07:13 PM
exactly CK 32, lots of the custom action makers are patterning their actions off the Remington 700 or the 40x actions. Try to acquire a used Remington action. You better be fast. Get your hands on a Remington 40x rimfire, good luck with that one too. Look at some of the competition matches, especially in .22 caliber rimfire you will see as many Remington 40x actions as any other custom action. And taking first place.

blutob
January 16, 2010, 07:38 PM
Between 2000 and 2005 I bought 3 700 ADLs at Walmart, all on clearance at prices between $300 - $340, 2 of them with walnut, and the other with laminated stock. They have all performed flawlessly, the best values I have ever gotten for the money!

I can't speak about their quality since then, but all three of mine are excellent.

ronl
January 16, 2010, 08:27 PM
I bought a .308 SPS last year and the thing shoots extremely well with the right ammo. I have no complaints at all.

1chig
January 16, 2010, 08:42 PM
i currently own 10 rem. rifles, old and new. I personaly wouldnt trade any one of them, in my book they are the best made. I think all in all your gonna get some bad, but that is the case with all of them,, not just remmy.If you dont want to buy a new remmy , try an older one, you will not be disappointed.