PDA

View Full Version : Really big bore Garand

M14fan
January 11, 2010, 11:06 AM
Found this the other day quite by accident. As an avid fan of the M1 Garand and the M1A I thought this was awesome. Thought some other Garand and/or big bore rifle fans might find this site interesting. With all the talk about big bore AR platform rifles I thought this might offer something extra for those of us a little more 'old school'

http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/garand/garand.html

christcorp
January 11, 2010, 12:39 PM
I guess, if you needed to rapid fire a 338 caliber, this would be the answer. I don't know if John Garand would be proud or not. The M1 garand has/had a purpose. The purpose wasn't/isn't really about shooting bears, moose, or anything similar. Can it? Sure it can. Personally, I love my M1 Garand. But I love it for what it is. A 30-06 military rifle with history. I didn't date and eventually marry my wife so I could change her and her personality after the honeymoon. I married for who she was at the time. I had no desire to change her. And I have no desire to change my M1 Garand. Then again; I guess there's someone out there who would want it.

steveracer
January 11, 2010, 05:17 PM
I have little use for a Garand in 30-06, as I have an M1A in .308.
HOWEVER, a Garand in something BIG makes sense to me, as it makes shooting a very serious caliber pretty easy on the shooter.

christcorp
January 11, 2010, 05:39 PM
There are definitely needs/uses for a 338 or other large calibers. But why spend over $1000 for an M1 garand to modify it to 338 or larger? You can buy guns chambered already in those calibers.

Now; is Springfield wants to take some of their NEW garands that they are producing; and make them into a 338 or similar; that's fantastic. But to take a piece of American History, like the M1 Garand, and strip it down and re-tool it..... Well that just seems like a big waste of a military heirloom and an awful expensive means of reach an objective.

bigghoss
January 11, 2010, 05:52 PM
I was drooling over the .338 then I saw the .458! SHWING!!!

mapsjanhere
January 11, 2010, 06:11 PM
You can buy guns chambered already in those calibers.
I don't know, I'm drawing a blank on semi-auto 458 WM.

Brenten
January 11, 2010, 06:28 PM
you are looking at $4000 minimum. You can get a BAR in 338wm for $1k. Not sure I would do this. Also, I don't care what they say, a 458 will take it's toll on that rifle.

christcorp
January 11, 2010, 10:13 PM
Guess I'm just old fashioned. Take a new production Springfield M1 and modify it. No problem. And it can definitely be a cheaper method. But to take a piece of history like a WWII/Korean War M1 Garand, and chop it up to be a 338 or other caliber; just to have a semi-auto rifle that shoots a larger more powerful cartridge, seems sacrilegious. The M1 garand is a work of art. It's a piece of American History. They can/will never build them again. Take one of the new production synthetic stock springfields. Don't mess with a classic.