PDA

View Full Version : Square barrelled rifle

aardvarkrh
January 10, 2010, 08:03 PM
Haven't actually seen this, but a friend told me her uncle has a very old Chinese flintlock with a square barrel/bore. Anybody know about this?

Thx aard

armoredman
January 10, 2010, 08:22 PM
Does the bore rotate, to give a spin, or is it one long straight square? Centuries ago crossbow qarrels were made with round heads for use against Christians, and a square one for use agains Muslims during the Crusades, IIRC, wonder if that has anything to do with it, which would mean it is either a copy made much later, or a musket that has a HECK of a history to it.
My $.02, worth what you paid for it.

Hardcase
January 11, 2010, 10:02 AM
Centuries ago crossbow qarrels were made with round heads for use against Crhistians, and a square one for use agains Muslims during the Crusades...

Hey, you can't just say something like that and stop! Keep typing!

armoredman
January 11, 2010, 11:44 AM
That's about all I remember from that, sorry.:(

wogpotter
January 11, 2010, 12:19 PM
Goes further than that.
There were volley guns (multiple barreled BP guns where the barrels all fired together, kind of an early machine gun attempt) where the racks of barrels & ammuntion was the same, round for christian & square for Muslim targets.:eek:

I don't remember the brand model & so on but it looked like a cannon carridge with a row (or two) of barrels all laid side by side & the whole setup was breech loaded on a seperate trailer & the loaded barrels dropped into the waiting carridge/breech for firing.:cool:

Mike Irwin
January 11, 2010, 01:28 PM
I've never heard that about crossbow bolts, but the Puckle Gun, an early manual revolving "machine gun," did have round and square barrels and chambers - round for Christians and square for Turks (a common name for Muslims).

Hardcase
January 11, 2010, 02:22 PM
"Round for Christians, square for Turks."

That was the clue that the Googles needed. Square bullets, I guess like square arrows, make a god-awful mess of your insides when they hit at high velocity. Kinda gruesome, but I guess the deal was that the round bullet makes a clean wound (as clean as a large caliber projectile would, anyway), but the square one tumbles around and just rips the crap out of whatever it hits, resulting in agonizing pain and, I suppose, a horrendous death.

Such were the times.