PDA

View Full Version : mini 14 ruger ranch rifle question

turkeybuzzard
January 9, 2010, 09:40 PM
I have been looking at a used mini 14 at the local gun store. They want to much for it as far as I am concerned. My question is, the used gun for sell is one of the older ones, it does not have a place to mount a scope, it is in rough shape compared to a new one at wallmart for 627. Will the new rifles shoot army surplus ammo? Why does the gun dealer want as much for the used gun as wm wants for a new one? I have an old 30carbine that I love to shoot but the ammo is out of sight. Can not find any around here.

globemaster3
January 9, 2010, 11:04 PM
Welcome to TFL, Turkey. Hopefully one of many posts for you.

First, lets address the lack of scope mounts. If it does not have the mounts built into the top of the receiver, it really is not the Ranch Rifle, but the plain jane Mini.

Its difficult to say exactly why they are asking so much for it. If it is really in that bad of shape, marketing it in the $600 range seems a little absurd.

In terms of ammo, I am fairly certain they were chambered in .223. The 5.56 surplus you refer to operates at a higher pressure, despite the dimensional similarities. Use the search function on this forum and you'll find a wealth of information on it.

In terms of accuracy, older minis struggled with their lightweight barrels and POI would wander once heated up, which didn't take long. A couple years ago, Ruger retooled the Mini line and was able to tighten the tolerances. At the same time, they also introduced a heavier barrel. Although I do NOT own a new one, everything I've read seems to indicate they are more accurate, but not incredibly so.

If you want to purchase one, I'd suggest passing on this one and either purchasing the new one or look for a better condition used.

Edward429451
January 10, 2010, 12:01 AM
No. All Mini-14's have always all been 5.56 chambers and will shoot any 223 or 5.56 brass with no worry. This straight from the factoy guys mouth to me.

Even though they're marked .223

LukeA
January 10, 2010, 12:05 AM
The Ruger manual lists the caliber as ".223 Remington (5.56mm)"

Crosshair
January 10, 2010, 06:37 PM
New Ranch rifles are indeed more accurate than the older ones. Neither is match grade, but they aren't built and sold as match grade guns anyway.

The first couple of shots are accurate enough for the job. After that the groups start to open up, but the good thing with the Mini is that is is consistent in that regard. My friend has a Mini-30 he has owned for years and knows EXACTLY where the gun will shoot cold and where it will shoot when it warms up. He makes soda cans dance with open sights at 50 yards.

Sounds like a gun dealer just pricing the gun high so he can bargain down to a more reasonable price. Or he is just hoping someone buys it at that price.

Art Eatman
January 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
I've really liked the older Minis I've had, but I never expected them to give me tight groups at the benchrest. They're great as a hunting gun for jackrabbits and coyotes. They're just not target critters. Great truck gun and all that stuff...

bhughes1898
January 10, 2010, 07:16 PM
Will the new rifles shoot army surplus ammo?

My father owns an older mini-14, and it does indeed shoot army surplus ammo (he has about 500 rounds in a ammo box). I'm not sure about the newer models however.

First, lets address the lack of scope mounts. If it does not have the mounts built into the top of the receiver, it really is not the Ranch Rifle, but the plain jane Mini.

Yeah, no scope mounts...just iron sights. I've shot about ~200 rounds through it at 50yds and always get a decent group. Plenty fine at that distance...beyond that it would get a lot tougher.

All Mini-14's have always all been 5.56 chambers and will shoot any 223 or 5.56 brass with no worry. This straight from the factoy guys mouth to me.

Yes.

All in all, fun gun imo...would be great for a truck.

qwman68
January 10, 2010, 09:05 PM
i have a 580 series and it will shoot 5.56.. they are more accurate than the older ones.. my best group was just under 2in. with remington 55gr.MC bullets. the shots do open up after it gets warm but it shoots good groups if you let it cool down some between groups. never had any issues with mine. very reliable and fun..

gunn308
January 10, 2010, 09:44 PM
The only mini 14 that won't shoot 5.56 is the new target mini. Minis were made to be reliable and able to shoot center mass every time you squeeze the trigger. My 197 SS Ranch is my truck/boat gun, it gets cleaned once a year wether it needs it or not, it has been dropped in mud, water and snow and has never failed to dance a can or drop a coyote if I do my job but it has never failed to go bang,bang,bang. There are a lot of mods that can help your groups I have taken mine from 6.5"/100 yds. to 1.75"/100 yds. the guys at www.perfectunion.com are the mini gurus. Do your homework and shop around good deals are out there I bought mine used a little over a year ago for $350 out the door with a factory 20 round mag and an after market 30 rounder from a local pawn shop.

turkeybuzzard
January 10, 2010, 10:35 PM
I can't get over how much they want for a used gun! It seems everybody wants new prices for used stuff. Thanks to all for the info.

RKG
January 11, 2010, 11:05 AM
Be sure the rifle isn't a 180- series (roller bolt cam). Lots of problems with these and Ruger factory won't touch them.

turkeybuzzard
January 11, 2010, 08:48 PM
What are these, haven't heard of the roller bolt cam! New models or old?

LukeA
January 11, 2010, 09:03 PM
very old