PDA

View Full Version : Used Rem 700 Adl vs. New Savage scope pkg????

stump124
January 7, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm new to hunting and have two .270 Rem options that I'm looking at. I have the option to buy a used Rem 700 ADL for $350 (owned by a Sportsman Warehouse manager, so it's prolly in great shape) and then there is always the option to get a Savage scope package for about $100 more online (plus FFL fees - $40 at most) what do you experts think. I have one guy that I trust telling me to go with the Rem. but I also read on multiple places online that a Savage can shoot just as well as the rem, but just is not as fancy. The Rem doesn't come with scope/mounts. Please help!

Fat White Boy
January 7, 2010, 11:29 PM
Any glass on the ADL?

Abel
January 8, 2010, 12:01 AM
The Rem doesn't come with scope/mounts.

I'd go with the Remington & add a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40mm.

hometheaterman
January 8, 2010, 12:09 AM
Walmart sells the Savage package deals for like
$400 brand new. It's what I'd go with. Might want to upgrade the Simmons scope that comes on it at some point though.

The only way I'd consider the Remington is if it was a old one. If it was made in the last few years I wouldn't want it. Either way I'd much prefer the Savage though.

sc outdoorsman
January 8, 2010, 12:38 AM
The savage with accutriger is a good rifle but the scope on the package rifles are not great. I recently went through the same thing with a rifle for my son. We decided to get a used rifle and a decent scope. We ended up wih a used Remington .30-06 and a Nikon Prostaff for about the same cost as the Savage package deal. I think you need decide what you want. I did not see any savings in buying another (better) scope later.

qwman68
January 8, 2010, 01:43 AM
i love my ADL 270. Savage rifles are good also. I agree with abel, get the ADL and put a good scope on it.. ROLL TIDE !!!!! :D

Big Bill
January 8, 2010, 01:47 AM
The Remington is a great buy. Buy it and put a nice scope on it.

Boise State vs Alabama for #1...

Rob96
January 8, 2010, 04:25 AM
I just recently bought a 700ADL Varmint/scope package in 308, heavy barrel. After rebates it was $419. Awsome rifle.

Snakum
January 8, 2010, 08:54 AM
As long as it isn't a newer Remington - less than three or four years old - a used 700 might not be bad. But a new Remington against any Savage is a no-brainer. Savage makes rifles that shoot lights out, right out of the box, and last forever. Remington now produces way too many abortions, and their Customer Service has become almost worthless in my experience (four new weapons in 09, four problems, no help on any of them from Remington). And this is coming from a former Remington guy who has defended them for the last couple of years. Don't own a single Savage. Yet. ;)

stump124
January 8, 2010, 06:51 PM
Wow so looking at this I'm still about 50/50 thanks alot guys!!!!;) I'm not sure on the year of the ADL will see what I can find out.

tINY
January 8, 2010, 07:09 PM
Why is he selling the ADL? Maybe because he can't get it to shoot?

If you are already a shooter, then a used gun with unknown issues may be a good deal. But if you are a newbie, a new rifle from Savage - with a warrantee - is a good idea. Make sure you have a good shooter put a group downrange to ring it out (make sure it shoots well). Then practice until you get huntable groups.

-tINY

stump124
January 9, 2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks Tiny thats helpful I'm pretty new to this stuff. I think I will try out the Savage.