PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 .22LR Conversion Kit

chasep255
January 6, 2010, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know of a .22LR conversion kit that locks when the mag is empty. Also do you guys know of one which works with the bolt release on the AR. Finally, can I order one over the internet in NJ or do I need a gun shop?

chasep255
January 6, 2010, 08:31 PM
Also I noticed that you do not need to replace the barrel. Does the 3/100'' make a difference in the barrel diameter make much of a difference?

Ridge_Runner_5
January 6, 2010, 10:26 PM
It'll be slightly less accurate, but .22lr is for plinking and hunting p-dogs, not life or death where 1/4 of an MOA can make a difference.

All the AR-15 .22lr kits will lock back on last round, but once you remove the magazine the bolt will close again. The mag's follower sticks out far enough to hold the bolt back.

If you buy a dedicated .22 (like the S&W M&P-15/22 or Colt .22lr) then it might lock back. Not sure. Havent played with them enough.

I got a used Ciener kit. His is the template used for CMMG, Spikes Tactical and other kits.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/GSG/22lr.jpg

WLJ
January 6, 2010, 11:33 PM
All the AR-15 .22lr kits will lock back on last round, but once you remove the magazine the bolt will close again. The mag's follower sticks out far enough to hold the bolt back.
The mag that comes with the Ciener kit will not lock back the bolt, the mag is a throw-a-way anyway. After market mags such as blackdogs will lock the bolt back, but as was said before the bolt will unlock when the mag is removed.

Ridge_Runner_5
January 6, 2010, 11:57 PM
Correct. The steel mags that come with the kit are akward and more or less useless, with the advent of BlackDog Machine Mags in both 25rd and 10rd capacities.

Xanatos
January 8, 2010, 06:06 AM
Fun trivia: The .22LR is actually .223 inches and the 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington is actually .224 inches. So the difference is actually .001 of an inch. Personally, I think the natural margin of error of most barrel makers is around plus or minus .001 of an inch (unless we're got some new technology that allows manufacturer's to get the sizing even more accurate) so generally speaking you're already seeing what impact the .001 inches has on accuracy if you've shot two different AR-15s before.

However, the .22LR in and of itself is less accurate than the 5.56/.223 so there'll be a drop in accuracy due to that.

As for which brand, I personally use a Spike's Tactical conversion kit. I'm not sure about other brands, but my ST came with different strengths of springs so I can adjust the bolt to compensate for different .22LR loadings. They're extremely easy to change out and if you plan on using only multiple brands of .22LR it's perfect. Also, even if you only plan on using one brand, changing the springs can result in less misfeeds and such. The spring that was installed would cause some of the scariest double and triple feeds I've ever seen (I've had a triple feed where the third round stuck out the ejection port pointed directly at my face), but after a quick 5 minute spring swap with one of their other provided springs I've yet to have any major feeding issues.

Ridge_Runner_5
January 8, 2010, 10:57 AM
Are you a lefty, Xanatos?

2ndchance
February 22, 2010, 09:48 AM
I've been leaning towards getting the Spike's Tactical version, because of the Viton O-rings on the barrel adapter. The logic seems sound, but does the O-rings "really" make that big of a difference? I mean, if the adapter is seated in and the neck of the adapter cartridge is pressed up and fills the chamber, does the O-rings "really" help?

I ask that only because I ran into a nice special for a CMMG conversion in Stainless Steel. It comes with 3-26rnd mags and a loader for $189.95.

I found this on http://palmettostatearmory.com/

Compared to the Spike's Tactical, it seems a better value if you don't factor in the Viton O-rings design.

jman841
February 22, 2010, 10:32 AM
I was curious. what is the effect of these .22 conversion kits on your gas tube? It seems like it would make it pretty dirty. The conversion kits operate off strait blow back but there is still the gas port where gases will leak into, does this effect the reliability or function of the AR-15 when going back to using .223 or 5.56?

ranger dave
February 22, 2010, 11:06 AM
ill answer your question no i have not seen one that will hold the bolt back on last round. no it will not work with your bolt release. yes you can order through the mail in n.j. ( at least from cheaper then dirt )

espnazi
February 22, 2010, 11:16 AM
I was curious. what is the effect of these .22 conversion kits on your gas tube? It seems like it would make it pretty dirty. The conversion kits operate off strait blow back but there is still the gas port where gases will leak into, does this effect the reliability or function of the AR-15 when going back to using .223 or 5.56?

It is recommended that after you use your kit you change the bolt back to .223 and shoot a couple of round in order to clean out the gas tube.

2ndchance
February 22, 2010, 07:19 PM

Yup. That's what I was told. Change the bolt back to .223/5.56 and fire two or three rounds of ammo through it to blow out any build-up from shooting 22LR. Sounds easy enough.

FYI: Spike's Tactical includes a gas tube block, for those who are making their conversion a semi-permanent conversion. It's a plug. You drive the pin out of the gas tube, replace the gas tube with this plug, and put the pin back in.

I've read from another forum that a guy took his garage compressor and just shot a blast of pressurized air into the gas tube. It blew the crap back into the barrel, then he cleaned the barrel with a bore snake.

I like this method better, as it saves me two or three precious rounds of .223rem. :)