PDA

View Full Version : My Garand is arriving tomorrow morning!!

WesM
January 5, 2010, 06:04 PM
Sorry, I'm so excited I'm posting it all over the web. My first Garand, a CMP Springfield Service Grade, 5.8 million Serial No.

Told my boss I would be late to work tomorrow. :D

PS it took the CMP less than 1 month from receiving my paperwork and order to ship. Looks like the long waiting is over??

Drummer101
January 5, 2010, 06:10 PM
be careful about firing modern 30-06.

Congratulations about the gun, I hope you enjoy it :)

WesM
January 5, 2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks!

Don't worry, I got about 900 rounds of Greek HXP and Lake City that I stocked up on last year before I could make the gun purchase. I will probably look into buying an adjustable gas plug, but not install it till I need it, if ever.

pbratton
January 5, 2010, 06:27 PM
Excellent! Welcome the the Garand club!

You realize, of course, that we'll have to see pictures.

DE Shooter
January 5, 2010, 10:29 PM
My nephew rcvd this CMP Garand shortly bfore he shipped out to his first duty station. He told me if I cleaned it, I could shoot it....till he wants it back. I finally got to the range last month with about 40rounds of 1947 vintage Lake City Ball M2. My last 5 shot group at 100 yards came in at 1.5 inches!!! These are amazing shooters...I can't wait for the next CMP shoot. Good luck with yours...look out for corrosive ammo...have fun cleaning.:)

gdvan01
January 6, 2010, 08:02 AM
My Garand is arriving tomorrow morning!!

It's all over now....welcome to the club!

GregM
January 6, 2010, 12:43 PM
You know that garands are addicting right? I started out with 1 in July 2008, I now have 5, one of every US manufacturer plus a second H&R. Check out the CMP forum if you haven't. there's a lot of knowledge over there.

GregM

WesM
January 6, 2010, 02:33 PM
Well it was supposed to get here by 10:30 and it's 3 hours late right now...

I am taking personal leave off of work to wait for this thing...

The wait now since it shipped seems longer than the wait since I placed my order. :(

DanThaMan
January 6, 2010, 03:10 PM
Congrats.. is it in yet?!

WesM
January 6, 2010, 03:51 PM
Just arrived a few minutes ago... Here are the PICS

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/msuce99/SA%20Garand/100_0762.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/msuce99/SA%20Garand/100_0763.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/msuce99/SA%20Garand/100_0764.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/msuce99/SA%20Garand/100_0760.jpg

All Springfield parts, my brother tells me the trigger group and hammer are WWII parts. Can't wait to shoot it!!

aarondhgraham
January 6, 2010, 03:54 PM
Fortunately for me I have a friend who owns one of those big boys,,,
She will let me shoot it a coupla times a year,,,
That gets my M-1 Garand ya-ya's out,,,
Without having to spend money.

It's good to have friends,,,

Enjoy your new PlayToy,,,

nikdfish
January 6, 2010, 04:13 PM
Very Nice! The stock looks to be in great shape (my SG HRA had quite a few more dings... ).

Congrats!

Nick

Chaz88
January 6, 2010, 04:31 PM
I have thought about jumping on the M1 wagon. I think memories of drilling with lead filled M1's in boot camp have kept me away. Those things where heavy! Try holding one with both arms outstretched at shoulder height for about a half hour. Then do calisthenics with it.:eek:

DE Shooter
January 6, 2010, 04:31 PM
WesM,
HAPPY DAYS! Hope you have as much fun learning about them and shooting them as I am...and I hope my nephew doesn't want his back soon. I will surely get my own sooner or later, though. He said he paid extra for his "service" grade and I've found various parts from all (4) manufacturers. It's tight mixed breed and it's a real shooter. GOOD LUCK. I read that South Korea is returning 80,000 Garands and 20,000 M1 carbines to the US this year. I hope CMP gets a large portion of them....or all!!!

Kal

chris in va
January 6, 2010, 04:45 PM
Very jealous. I've never shot one but there's just something about the history of those Garands. Right now all I have to watch WWII movies with is my Mosin, just not the same.:p

RockyMtnTactical
January 6, 2010, 04:47 PM
Congrats!

ProjectCamaro
January 6, 2010, 05:00 PM
Congrats, I wish I had one that's for sure.

hodaka
January 6, 2010, 07:21 PM
The stock looks better than my Service Grade HRA with a new CMP birch stock that I got earlier this year. You are going to love it.

Congratulations!

az_imuth
January 6, 2010, 08:05 PM
WesM
Great looking rifle...congrats! That reminds me of the first SA service grade rifle I ordered. Turned out to be a fantastic shooter. Prepare yourself, these things are definatrely addictive. I ended up like GregM in that I now have one of each manufacturer plus a couple of extra HRA's.

GA Limited GM
January 6, 2010, 09:08 PM
There is just something about a Garand...
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k469/limitedgm/IMG_0413.jpg

Headgear
January 7, 2010, 06:36 AM
Congrats again, but you guys posting all these pictures of cool guns and telling how excited you are, kind of aggravates me. Now I'm going to have to spend more money.

Seriously though, I have been wanting one and last week at the range a couple of guys had some old mausers which just made it worse so I've already been on the CMP site this week. Guess I'm going to have to get one or twelve.

I hope she shoots as good as it looks, Have a ball with her!

overland
January 7, 2010, 09:04 AM
My club just got its CMP status. How do you order the CMP rifles and carbines? Do you go through the club with the paperwork anbd background check? Is the rifle shipped to the club or directly to your home? Thanks.

WesM
January 7, 2010, 09:15 AM
I don't know how other "clubs" work, but I ordered mine as an individual. I went to an Appleseed shoot back in October, which is sponsored by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA). I joined that for $20, which gave me my club "membership".

They will give you a membership card that you can send a copy of in to the CMP, along with your other documents. The Appleseed instructor gave me a document saying that I had participated in a marksmanship activity as well, so really I met 2 of the requirements by attending the Appleseed.

And yes, they ship a battle rifle directly to your front door. :D

gdvan01
January 7, 2010, 10:37 AM
I've never shot one but there's just something about the history of those Garands.

...and once you've experienced the 'ping'...it's all over from there.

;)

There is just something about a Garand...

Damn...look at all them boolits! I'm saving my last spam can until I can replenish my stock.

WesM
January 7, 2010, 11:11 AM
Of course, Walt Kowalksi endorses the Garand as well:

http://fataculture.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/gran-torino.jpg

Flatbush Harry
January 7, 2010, 02:40 PM
For the curious, go to www.odcmp.com and go to Sales for info on ordering. You can download the necessary forms from the home page.

FH

3StrikesNC
January 7, 2010, 09:16 PM
Congratulations!

If you follow in the mold of most, during the next few months you'll be plotting and planning for your next Garand. It's practically impossible to own just one! :D

Now, about the gas plug, I'd strongly suggest a Schuster and install it once you've become acccustomed to your rifle. Even with HXP. Garands tend to be brutal on case brass, both ends. A worn/weak Op Rod spring magnifies the brass damage. In fact, a severely worn spring will allow the bolt to "bottom out" on the rear part of the receiver. Beside the potential for damage to the receiver, it will almost take a chunk out of each and every case rim. That violent action will also afect your POI.

Installing and "tuning" a Schuster will minimize or eliminate the brass damage, POI variations, and bolt to receiver "bottoming out". Of course, I'd replace the Op Rod spring 1st, as soon as you detect any of the signs above. It's always good to replace this first, than install and tune a gas plug.

Good luck and enjoy it. It's hard to find greater satisification and respect for a weapon.