PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Freefloating Handguard

omeratwood
January 5, 2010, 10:40 AM
I know this is simple, but I cannot remove the freefloating handguard from my new Bushmaster AR-15 with a 24" Stainless steel barrel.

Could someone please tell me how? The factory must have put it on way too tight. I have a handguard removing tool for the slip ring type, but this one has a threaded ring that won't budge.

Bartholomew Roberts
January 5, 2010, 11:51 AM
Without knowing which freefloating handguard you are talking about (Bushmaster offers many), it would be difficult to help you.

Usually, a free floating handguard threads directly to the barrel nut and they are not intended to be removed/reinstalled on a regular basis. In order to remove it, you'd probably need an upper receiver block, vise and strap wrench. Why are you trying to remove it, if I may ask?

omeratwood
January 5, 2010, 12:28 PM
It's a Mod. XM15-E2S it has a knurled ring near the barrel nut. there is some dirt on the barrel I just wanted to clean it. I've never heard of a handguard that the operator should not remove. I saw Larry Potterfield show how to install one to change it from a slip ring type which I have always had before. And he used a "Strap Wrench" to tighten it.
But man let me tell you this thing is tight! I would never put it on this tight!
I was just wondering if there is a tool I should get?

Bartholomew Roberts
January 5, 2010, 12:50 PM
It's a Mod. XM15-E2S

That is the rifle model number, not the handguard - and it isn't very useful to us since Bushmaster labels every rifle with that part number, regardless of its configuration.

it has a knurled ring near the barrel nut.

It sounds like a typical freefloat tube where you loosen the knurled ring and then unscrew the tube from the barrel nut.

I've never heard of a handguard that the operator should not remove.

I did not say that you should not remove it; just that the handguard is not intended to be removed regularly like the military two-piece handguards that slip inside the delta ring. However, if you don't know what you are doing, you might want to hold off on removing it.

there is some dirt on the barrel I just wanted to clean it.

Go shoot it some more. The heat of the barrel will suck all the moisture out of the dirt and the vibration from shooting will shake off all the dust eventually. :D

But man let me tell you this thing is tight! I would never put it on this tight!

They'll work loose from vibration if not installed pretty snug (or with loctite) and then the tube starts to rotate. Not a big deal on a bare tube; but annoying if you have rails and rail mounted sights.

ranger dave
January 5, 2010, 01:02 PM
dont remove the hand gard put it in the dishwasher. you have to remove the gas block then the gas tube to unscrew the hand gard

omeratwood
January 5, 2010, 01:13 PM
Yes Sir.
"typical freefloat tube where you loosen the knurled ring and then unscrew the tube from the barrel nut"
I am very skilled with the rest of the rifle. But this is my first freefloat tube.

I understand that it should be tight. But the smith that put this one on must have put his body weight into it.
I feel better now after reading your post. It's just new to me, and I hate not knowing if there is a trick to or or not.

Thank you for your help!

DMK
January 5, 2010, 02:33 PM
I don't know what type of handguard you have, but some are one piece, replacing the barrel nut and have the gas tube going through holes in the receiver end. You would have to remove the gas tube before you can unscrew this type.

Uncle Ike
April 14, 2011, 12:22 PM
I too purchased a Bushmaster Varminter with a 24 inch SS barrel and you can not back that nut off. I don't know if it is put on with loctite or what the deal is. A normal strap wrench is too wide to fit on just the knurled ring nut. I don't think it is unreasonable for the forearm to be user removable for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is to change barrels. I would be interested to hear if someone has found the solution for this one.

snipecatcher
April 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
I put my Bushmaster Predator (same FF tube) upper in a vise block, clamped it down in the vice and took off the tube with a nylon strap wrench from Lowes. Forget about the knurled ring. Break it loose by putting the strap wrench on the main tube. Once it starts to turn a bit, you can hold the knurled ring with your hand. I've taken mine off multiple times.
-Dan

tAKticool
April 14, 2011, 05:46 PM
LOL

I KNOW ECERYTHING ELSE EXCEPT THE QUESTION I AM ASKING

YoU don't remove free float tubes. -- just trust us and don't. I am LOLing a lot at how you're struggling to remove that which is not supposed to be removed