PDA

View Full Version : !!!! Remington 700 bdl !!!!

eddy615
January 4, 2010, 11:24 PM
What are they thinking... Remington has discontinued the 700 BDL and the regular 700 CDL. All they are making are composite stock guns with stainless of matte barrels... what if a man wants a gun that has an elegant look??? Is any one else feeling a little outraged at this. And before they removed the BDL from their website it showed that they were going to chamber it in a 280 remington... nothing could get much better than that.

Eddy615

hometheaterman
January 4, 2010, 11:26 PM
Does this surprise you? Remington doesn't seem to be known for nice looking nor nice quality guns anymore.

eddy615
January 4, 2010, 11:32 PM
i just dont get it... they make all these composite stock rifles with stainless barrels and they cost much more than the BDL WHY??? and the 700 BDL is BEAUTIFUL and built very well... in my mind

bigwrench
January 4, 2010, 11:33 PM
Wow! Looks like big green is taking the general motors aproach to marketing. Foreget about making products people want when you can sell cheap crap because customers want to stay loyal.

eddy615
January 4, 2010, 11:37 PM
yea kinda hits the nail on the head... it will come around to bite them in the ass some day its just sad to me as a big green fan

jdscholer
January 4, 2010, 11:53 PM
It will probably come back in the future as a "Classic 700 BDL" which won't be as nice or as quality as the original, but will be more economical to manufacture and very marketable to folks who weren't able to get a BDL when they existed for real.:rolleyes: jd

4sixteen
January 5, 2010, 12:01 AM
Well I'm glad I picked up my 700 CDL 35 Whelen a couple of years ago when it was still available, I was thinking ahead. :D

Beautiful rifle, excellent caliber. Light weight and well balanced. :cool:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/storm_rider02/700cdl.jpg

jmr40
January 5, 2010, 12:05 AM
If people were buying them they would still be making them. The American shooter has been voting with their dollars. Too many of us would rather have a $300 rifle with a plastic stock than a nicely finished walnut stock.

eddy615
January 5, 2010, 12:16 AM
talking about the 35 whelen... last winter i found a 35 whelen in a bdl that was 13 years old in NIB conditions and stole it for $525

.300 Weatherby Mag
January 5, 2010, 12:18 AM
I see that that BDL is not listed among the current 700 offerings on the right side of the screen... I still see the CDL and the CDL SF listed... Am I missing something?
http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/bolt-action-model-700.aspx

eddy615
January 5, 2010, 12:27 AM
as of yesterday there was NO cdl only the CDL SF and the CDL SR LIMITED EDITION

.300 Weatherby Mag
January 5, 2010, 12:48 AM
I have a couple of very simple solutions to this problem... If Remington is stupid enough to discontinue the CDL and BDL there are other options...

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535108

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeStandard/index.html

http://www.savagearms.com

Hopefully remington is not ignorant enough to discontinue their blued/wood guns... But based on some of their decisions in the last few years nothing would surprise me.. Most of what they make now doesn't interest me, but the CDL SF in .257 weatherby is giving me a complex...

tINY
January 5, 2010, 01:07 AM
Are they still making the Seven in CDL?

Really, most people aren't paying twice as much for a walnut and polished blue rifle to drag around the woods. They will pay 5x the price for a really nice one from Kimber or Sako, though. But I bet those don't go on hard hunting trips...

-tINY

.300 Weatherby Mag
January 5, 2010, 01:14 AM
Really, most people aren't paying twice as much for a walnut and polished blue rifle to drag around the woods. They will pay 5x the price for a really nice one from Kimber or Sako, though. But I bet those don't go on hard hunting trips...

Plenty of high dollar rifles go on nasty hunting trips...

tINY
January 5, 2010, 02:04 AM
I suppose they do, but not with people who typically buy Remchester rifles...

-tINY

Horseman
January 5, 2010, 07:37 AM
If people were buying them they would still be making them. The American shooter has been voting with their dollars. Too many of us would rather have a $300 rifle with a plastic stock than a nicely finished walnut stock.

The big reason people weren't buying the BDL is the lack of quality the last couple of years. They changed the skipline checkering to the cheapest stamped checkering filled over with urethane til it's almost smooth. The bluing is terrible. The actions are tumbled and only the barrel is polished. Call it a two-tone effect.

I've owned different BDL's all my life but the junk they're putting out now is ridiculous. IMO Remington is heading the way of Winchester in it's final years. Same poorly fit recoil pads and lack of quality. Remmy's collect dust at my gunshop.

Abel
January 5, 2010, 07:43 AM
The Winchester Featherweight made down in South Carolina is a nicer rifle. Send Remington a message & buy a Winchester or Browning.

skoro
January 5, 2010, 08:41 AM
When I was looking at bolt actions in September, I was disappointed in the Remington 700s I handled. Not so with the Winchester Featherweight I purchased.

I think Remington's slip in quality is a disturbing development. And they don't seem to be reacting well to it. :rolleyes:

eddy615
January 5, 2010, 08:54 AM
i must admit the wood used on some of the guns ive seen in the past two years has been absolutly gross. i guess they are just shooting themselves in their foot.

beckham
January 5, 2010, 09:08 AM
I own 3 Remington 700’s (700ADL, 700BDL and a 700PSS), manufactured in the 80’s and 90’s. When it came time to buy my son a bolt action for deer hunting I bought him a Weatherby Vanguard. The quality and price of the new Remington 700 drove me to the Weatherby. I was very surprised with the quality and accuracy of the low end Weatherby. I am now looking at buying a Sub MOA Vanguard.

qwman68
January 5, 2010, 10:37 AM
i have a 700 ADL that i bought in 94.. it seems to me remington has gone downhill the past few years.. my 270 shoots really good though, im glad i got it when i did. hopefully they will get back on track..

GeauxTide
January 5, 2010, 12:52 PM
Brought to you by Cerberus Capital, who own(ed) Chrysler and GMAC. Running another American Brand into the ground.

sc928porsche
January 5, 2010, 04:18 PM
Actually it looks as though they were just following the trends. It seems to be the rage now to have composite stocks, matte finish, etc. Seems all that is wanted nowadays is tacticool and black. As for my self, well, I prefer that my rifle look like a piece of artwork. You know, nice fancy grained select wood, highly polished metal with deep blue and maybe a scroll or two added. But, thats me, old school.

bcarver
January 5, 2010, 04:34 PM
not joking but how old are you?
Seems like the people who like wood and blue are older and have rifles.
No company can make a profit off last years customers.
If younger shooters want AR type rifles that is the market.
If they want syn/stainless rifles that is the market.
I like wood but I have two bolt guns and am not likely to get a third.

viking499
January 5, 2010, 05:21 PM
My 7mag BDL is a mid 80's model. It's nice. Don't see them like that anymore.:( Picked up a BDL awhile back and it just couldn't compare to mine with looks and feel.

Oilburner350
January 5, 2010, 05:26 PM
I have always prefered the blued walnut rifles. My favorite Reminton is a 700 Classic in .30-06. I wish they replaced the BDL stock with it.

olyinaz
January 5, 2010, 05:49 PM
The most damning comment I can make about Remington rifles these days is this: Ruger bolt rifles are now much nicer!! Sheesh, how crazy is that?

Remington can either compete or just give up but in either case they need to get on with it.

Oly

Dragon55
January 5, 2010, 06:14 PM
pictured here:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/143598000/143598853/pix484481531.jpg

Dern wives and babies make it tough on a guy sometimes.:(:(

SEHunter
January 5, 2010, 06:42 PM
I recently noticed that too. They did have laminated but no walnut.

One of the most beautiful blued/wood combos' i have ever seen is some of the Weatherby Mark V but are pricey.

Horseman
January 5, 2010, 08:09 PM
sc926porche

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see your point. Markets and trends change. What makes some of us sick is when they change and not for the better. I'm only in my early 30's but I'm old enough to remember when guns were generally made much better than today. The BDL in question is a sad comparison of what it was 20 years ago.

SEHunter
January 5, 2010, 08:30 PM
I noticed a few years ago the wood stock ADL was discontinued but didnt think the signature BDL would follow. I am glad i bought a BDL in 2003 because its a gun with back ground in my family. I am not up to date with any Remington quality issues. With handloads, mine chambered in 30-06 yeilds a .3" group after a called flyer. I dont have a problem with the new generation style but do wish they still offered atleast one model with the traditional wood stock. I went out to buy an ADL in 22-250 but bought the synthetic since it was after the wood was not available and its fine, just not as attractive imo.

I wouldnt be suprised if they offer some type of "classic" that looked like a BDL in the future. It would be a commonly used marketing tactic to boost sales. Anyway, as long as they dont drop or redesign the Model 870/Wingmaster, Remington will have atleast one gun (in the category of pump-action shotgun) that will never be surpassed by any gun maker in existance (also imo).

Dougw47
January 5, 2010, 09:19 PM
I have two, a 1980's Model 70 Lightweight in .308...nice dark wood.

A Voere '98 Mauser in 7x57, nice wood...the rest are synthetic.

Synthetic seems to be the way of the world for most manufacturers these days. Easier to mold, put rails in and make a stable platform that shoots at least some better that the mass-produced and sometimes crooked wood.

We used to have craftsmen/women producing our better rifles in the big 3, I don't know if they let them all go or what. I saw a Rem 700 CDL one time I would have given an arm and a leg for...in fact, I did. But that's another story.

Now it is slap'em together and ship'em out.
doug

alfack
January 5, 2010, 09:24 PM
It's not just Remington. Nobody makes things like they used to, with pride and good QC.

I laugh and cry every time one of these threads appears. Laugh at the ridiculous claims and cry because some of the claims are true for every manufacturer.

oneounceload
January 5, 2010, 09:37 PM

EXACTLY.............If they were selling in quantities to justify their existence, they would still make them. My BDL is 30 years old, bought it new - put a fiberglass stock on it a long time ago (still have the original though), becaue it could handle the hard hunting in northern NV mountains - seems more folks like the practicality.

You could always have a stockmaker make you a nice wood stock to your dimensions

eddy615
January 5, 2010, 10:04 PM
Quote:
sc926porche

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am 19 years old and have a passion for rifles that are good looking and shoot. the 700 BDL is that rifle. I own two a 30-06 and a 7mm Rem mag that has a stainless barrel on top of a dark walnut stock... now those guns get my heart going

CPTMurdoc30
January 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
I was once a huge Remington Fan boy but now you couldn't pay me to buy one of their rifles. The QA QC has been gone since they got taken over my Cherybus (OR what ever it is). Now they are putting out cheap junk that people will buy because it says REMINGTON on the side.

I own a few rifles and all but 2 of them say REMINGTON. Not anymore if I buy another bolt gun (Currently geting a RRA AR) it will not be from crapington. Savage maybe.

Parabuteo
January 6, 2010, 12:47 PM
I have been a Remington shooter for 50 years and was a dealer for 20; I still own some of their Classics. I cannot take anything away from the way the rifles or shotguns that I own either, they shoot fine, some better than others. I have taken lots of game and shot plenty of targets with their ammo, rifles and the shotguns.

When they moved away from the wholesalers and their dealers and started the selling to the mass market was the beginning of the end for them. For awhile they tried to keep a foot in both boats with programs for Jobbers, Wholesalers, independent stores, and finally, the big box stores. I have watched Remington cater to the discounters and transition from walnut to more and more of the Dupont influence of the black plastic faux walnut fore ends on the BDL rifles and the simulated “Rosewood” cap of the 541-S .22 rifle etc. Plastic fore end caps are not a functional issue of course, they work quite well actually but in my opinion the practice of simulating wood always was and is a sleight of hand and is cheapening to what otherwise were very good honest products. Some of my favorite hunting guns that Remington made are Classic 700 series and the 788 in 7-mm 08, I realize the stocks on the 788 are Beech and the rifle is not a 700 but you knew that going in when you bought one but on the other hand anyone who ever had one will tell you that they really shoot exceptionally well.

My favorite rifles they built are the Classic series. The mass merchandizing, the dropping of classic quality and traditional appearance is a just simply a sign of the times, what they are doing is what it takes to function in what they have defined as their market.

thekyrifleman
January 6, 2010, 01:01 PM
Just a comment....I see they dropped the 700 Ti also. I have one of the originals that came only in ADL in 7-08. Looks like I should put it away in a box.

ARDogman
January 7, 2010, 05:26 PM
I just checked their website...and the CDL, BDL were both still listed. Am I missing someting? Could it be that they were off the site while updating new MSRP's for 2010?

jmr40
January 7, 2010, 05:32 PM
When Remington brought out the CDL they intended to drop the BDL. A huge improvement in my opinion. I never cared for the BDL's shape or the high gloss. I have not seen a new BDL for sale in years although they show limited options for them in the catalog.

isnipe
January 7, 2010, 05:36 PM
Im glad i finely picked-up one of these fine rifles last weekend:D,but what are you thinking remington?wood>synthetic

SEHunter
January 7, 2010, 05:37 PM
Wow, not me. CDL is nice, a friend has one but imo, the BDL was much more refined looking. CDL looks like a cheap version of the BDL but nicer than the ADL.

I think somthing is going on with the web site because when i looked last night, there was a couple wood/blued CDLs' that were not on there when i looked after this thread was started. They must be re doing it (or read this thread, lol)

SmokeyVol
January 7, 2010, 06:14 PM
Has anyone bothered to check the new Remington web site?

The 700 BDL and 700 CDL are both listed.

They also brought back the 1100 G3 that was showing as "not availble" in 2009. That concerned me because I had just bought a new 1100 G3 in late 2008.

BuddhaSnipe
January 7, 2010, 06:17 PM
Personally I love the looks of a deep blued gun with a nice walnut stock on it, I think they look much better than the flat black synthetic stocked guns, and if I had the money to buy guns just to look at then I would. I don't have enough money to do that so I buy guns to use and for that I like flat black and synthetic stocks.

I went last thursday to find a .308 and I came home with a 700 SPS Varmint because it had a long heavey barrel and the absolute cheapest stock. The only thing I find bad about the whole gun is the stock and since my B&C A2 medalist will be here tomarrow that doesn't matter a bit as the original stock will have seen 0 use and will be in the garbage can.

My point in all of this is that if the majority of buyers are like me then all they are really looking for is a barreled action with which they can sit in whatever stock they want. So if that's what people want I'm glad Remington has us covered by giving us a nice gun with the ablsolute cheapest stock they could find.

eddy615
January 7, 2010, 06:36 PM
SWEET!!!!!!!

Sarge
January 7, 2010, 06:43 PM
I went through this with the ruination of the 94 Winchester.

When the gumakers choose poorly, reward them by buying used.

overland
January 7, 2010, 06:52 PM
As for the comments on quality, two of the gun dealers I spoke with this past year told me that quality has gone down among some makers. They claimed it was due to the very high demand for guns following Obama's election. The manufacturers were churning them out very quickly. This is just the opinion of two dealers though. But they do see a lot of firearms pass through their hands.

jmr40
January 7, 2010, 07:58 PM
The CDL is a cross between the classic looks from the 20's and 30's with a straighter comb for better use with a scope. They trimmer and lighter with everything a shooter needs without any extras.

The BDL was Remingtons answer to the Weatherbys introduced in the 1950's. The design works, much like the Weatherby, but is just too flashy and gawdy for me. Kinda like the huge 50's era cars with tail fins and lots of flashy chrome.

Both are classic designs, it just depends on which era you prefer.

Scorch
January 7, 2010, 08:40 PM
I love walnut and blued steel, too, but nobody wants to pay for them anymore. If everybody thought the 700BDLs were so great, why have sales been declining for the last 10 years? If Cerebus Corp says they are not making any money running huge plants turning out blued steel and walnut rifles, I believe them. In 1979, we were selling 700BDLs for $700, in 1990 they were $800, in 2000 they were $750 and not selling because folks want a $300 rifle. During that same 30 years, buying power of the US$ declined by about 60%, and all the KMart and WalMart shoppers sent all our manufacturing jobs overseas so they could save a few pennies to buy a new TV/VCR because their jobs were disappearing. You think those things are maybe related in some way? If people don't understand economics and act contrary to the laws of economics, they shouldn't complain when it bites them in the behind.

SEHunter
January 8, 2010, 06:30 AM
Thats MSRP. I bought mine in 03 i think and paid $550. Nobody sells them at retail. BTW, i hunt with my BDL even though its not one of the cheap looking models.

Sarge
January 8, 2010, 07:05 AM
We have an old 78, which was the plain-jane version of the 700 in a dark-stained birch stock with no checkering and a matte finish. I scrounged it in a 3-way trade years ago; might have $150 in it. It is in all respects an excellent 30-06.

BuddhaSnipe
January 8, 2010, 07:07 AM
Well right now Buds has them for $728 which is more money than a lot of people want to pay. When you guys says the quality has dropped off recently what exactly do you mean, are you speaking of the stock and the finish on the metal or are you speaking of lower quality machining of the barrel and reciever?

hotcha45
January 8, 2010, 08:46 AM
I was looking at a couple of Rem 700s, a cheapie ADL in a synthetic stock and it had bluing salts bleeding out around the barrel/action joint, and the finish on the metal was bead blast. At another store I looked at a CDL, pretty rifle, and it had rust/bluing salts leaking out all over it. That shop will never sell that gun. Rem has tended to have problems along with that and it appears to be back.
I watched the bolt close easily on a no-go gauge until it was backed up with .012 of shims in a Rem 30-06 I bought. Called Rem about this and was told that while that was at max it passed their requirements for headspacing in a rifle. Haven't been a Rem fan since.

Legionnaire
January 8, 2010, 02:40 PM
No comment on the newer guns' quality; my 700s are all 15 or more years old. But they are still listed on the website. Just pulled the link.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-bdl.aspx

James R. Burke
January 8, 2010, 04:27 PM
Just myself I love wood, and sometime stainless with it. Just like the look, and lines etc. I guess I am just a old school type.

SEHunter
January 8, 2010, 04:52 PM
Maybe next time i want a bolt gun (which wont be any time in the near furture, as i have what i need at the moment), i may look at Browning's A-Bolt or X-Bolt. Haven't heard anyone comment on them but i have not heard anything bad about them, although they tend to be even more expensive than the 700s'.

snyper503
January 8, 2010, 05:24 PM
Home » Products » Firearms » Centerfire Rifles » Bolt Action Model 700™ Model 700™ BDL™Model 700™CDL™Model 700™ CDL™ SF™Model 700™ CDL

That was just cut-n-pasted from the Remington Web site. They still offer them... and that was just a few in the long list.

mrawesome22
January 8, 2010, 06:08 PM
Remington revamped their site. The BDL nor the VLSS had been added to the list yet at the start of this thread.

TMackey
January 8, 2010, 07:52 PM
Maybe next time i want a bolt gun (which wont be any time in the near furture, as i have what i need at the moment), i may look at Browning's A-Bolt or X-Bolt. Haven't heard anyone comment on them but i have not heard anything bad about them, although they tend to be even more expensive than the 700s'.

Same here.

I am finally at a point in my life where I can afford a good rifle and the new 700 I lusted after when I was a kid is no more.

I've never really been interested in Browning, but if I am paying for quality, I expect to get it. ;)

benp
January 8, 2010, 09:06 PM
Well I'm glad I picked up my 700 CDL 35 Whelen a couple of years ago when it was still available, I was thinking ahead.

Beautiful rifle, excellent caliber. Light weight and well balanced.

Another fan of the Colonel. 1988 Classic. My favorite, non vermin platform, fireball machine......period. It hits like the fist of an angry god.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l125/pdltrk/Hobbies/DSC01100Medium.jpg

I guess I have been out of the loop a bit on Rem 700's. The CDL looks like the old Remington Mountain Rifle.

SEHunter
January 9, 2010, 10:08 AM
Thats a nice looking gun for sure.

on the A-bolt, i've never been too crazy about the big bolt handle on the Brownings, but i guess its not that bad. I assume they are accurate because i havent heard otherwise.

xd1984
January 9, 2010, 06:07 PM
i have a 30-06 a-bolt and i really like the gun. the big bolt handle does help make 4 a speey follow through or in my case 2nd n 3rd hog shoot. i shot .4 inch groups at a 100 yards and i have yet to load any match king or berger bullets. the only thing i dont like is that i got a sythetic stock because i got a heck of a deal on that gun. with a 20 power scope the gun is not very balacned but the wood stocks would fix that.

ClemBert
February 2, 2010, 07:19 PM
What are they thinking... Remington has discontinued the 700 BDL and the regular 700 CDL. All they are making are composite stock guns with stainless of matte barrels... what if a man wants a gun that has an elegant look???

I feel your pain! I just so happened to post this pic of my vintage 1977 Remington 700 BDL in TFL's January photo contest: Entry #17 (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391464)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/SyberTiger/Firearms/Remington%20700%20BDL/Jan2010DSCN1310.jpg

okie2
February 3, 2010, 06:06 AM
Us buying foreign products is some of our problems But the most reason companies are leaving the usa is because of all of ours worst enemy
Washington D C with the Taxes they have to pay is what the real problem is.
For what ever the reason Remington has been going down hill in quality for 30 years. they have made a lot of stupid mistakes and are still doing so.
Do all of you know that remington barrels are hammer forged not cut rifling like all other barrel makers use. just another cheap very low quality product
of their good ideas. Plus their customer service is no good either.
Out of my 32 rifles 4 of them are Remingtons and 3 of them have factory quality issues and remington will not fix them because I was not the one that bought them new.
WHY DOES IT MATTER WHO BOUGHT THEM IF THEY ARE THEIR QUALITYS FAULT???

eddy615
February 3, 2010, 08:49 AM
If the barrels are made in such a horrible cheap way... how come a LARGE majority of the 700 rifles have very good accuracy right out of the box. I guy that i know sighted guns in for years and hardly runs into an inaccurate 700

PainterJohn
February 3, 2010, 09:20 PM
I also love the deep blue steel/fancy beautiful wood look of the BDL's. I own two BDL's one in 30.06 and one in 243.

The problem I have is that I am a very hard hunter. As such, my attention is seemingly diverted while hunting if I am carrying such a rifle/shotgun. I find myself most comfortable with the stainless/composite firearm in the field.

I have a ruger stainless with the composite zytel stock circa 1990ish that I bought used in 7mm rem mag. I am somewhat hesitant of taking the safety off because it has NEVER failed to kill when that happens. I am going through the same dilemma now with my 243 bdl dm. Too pretty to mess up. Thinking of a stainless/composite. So what do I have the pretty guns for? I don't know, just can't bring myself to sell them.

jmr40
February 3, 2010, 09:46 PM
I think you'll find the vast majority of barrels made today are hammer forged. Cut rifleing is pretty unusual except on some custom aftermarket barrels. Unless I'm mistaken Savage is the only company making cut rifleing from the factory. Hammer forged barrels work just fine.

sc outdoorsman
February 3, 2010, 09:57 PM
The rifle I got for my son's first rifle is a 1964 vintage 30-06 BDL that is in very good condition the bluing is not quite as bright as new but the stock looks great. It has the best trigger of any rifle I have ever shot and it still shoots better than I can hold it. That rifle is everything a rifle should be and is a credit to the company that made it. I would hate to see such a classsic get scraped.

ICEHOUSE
February 3, 2010, 10:50 PM
i know, but really i like tactical bull barrels like #7 contours myself. the only bdl i want to own, and do not yet, is the .30-06 custom deluxe. but they are out there on gunbroker.com, gun shows and collectorsfirearms.com so i have no worries that i will be able to get a brand new one in the box.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
February 4, 2010, 10:18 PM
What are you talking about???
BDL:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-bdl.aspx

CDL:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-cdl.aspx

They are NOT discontinued.. I don't have a clue what gave you that idea....

mrawesome22
February 4, 2010, 11:15 PM
Remington revamped their site. The BDL nor the VLSS had been added to the list yet at the start of this thread.
Yep.

V.Hunter
February 4, 2010, 11:52 PM
I cant believe this thread has gone on this long. The first day it was up I looked and Remington still had these lines available just as they do today!

Major Dave (retired)
February 5, 2010, 12:06 PM
on the gun rack at the local Gander Mountain 2 days ago.

For those who don't want to risk scratching the beautiful walnut stocks of their "pretty guns", try outfitting them with the neoprene buttstock, forearm, and barrel covers made by Bear Tooth. They come in camo, and plain brown versions. Scope covers are available, also.

The end result is not only the avoidance of scratches, but a much needed concealment of glossy finished stocks/barrels/scopes. Every time I poke my rifle barrel out the window of an elevated box blind, I realize how much better it is that it looks like a tree limb, instead of a highly polished, deeply blued barrel. I think the deer recognize the difference.

The neoprene makes a pretty good "rain coat", for your rifle and scope, too.

Cabela's carries Bear Tooth, as well as some of the other national chains. But not Wally World.

Art Eatman
February 5, 2010, 12:29 PM
One advantage of old age is that stuff like this is nothing new. I've seen it in folk music and the world of cars, and previously in the world of guns.

There is no one cause to any of it. Sometimes it's mostly the "bean counters" who cause business changes to cut costs and do so in mistaken ways. Sometimes it's the added overhead for an already-inefficient operation. And sometimes it's a case of customers not really knowing what they want.

For instance, for whatever reason, ever since the Clinton AW ban, there has been a fantastic increase in interest in "EBR" rifles. Okay, if sales of blue steel and wood drop, hey, let's put black stocks on 'em! If an old standby's sales drop off, hey, let's bring out a Newer'n'Better!

And so it goes.

Folks raised a ruckus in 1964 about the Winchester changes in the Model 70. No doubt about a lesser quality of fit and finish and all that. But the 1964 and later Model 70s were quite often capable of tighter groups than the far more desirable Pre-'64s.

So if you have a good 700, you probably oughta hang on to it. If you've been thinking about something new, odds are you'll still buy accuracy but maybe not good fit'n'finish.

Like always, you pays your money and you takes your chances. That ain't changed in the last several hundred years...

Paul B.
February 5, 2010, 06:53 PM
Interesting thread. :rolleyes: I haven't looked at remington lately as the last two I bought were from the Classic series, a 30-06 and a .35 Whelen. My BDL 30-06 as made in 1981, the year I bought it. I've been happy with them. The BDL was restocked with an early H&S Precision synthetic stock when that outfit was located in Prescott AZ. It's worked out quite well.
When Winchester came out with their Stainless Classics, I bought one in .338 Win. Mag. for more money than I should have spent. I have several Winchester rilfes with factory synthetic stocks besides the .338, a .300 Win. mag. especially made for Walmart that I picked up at a gun show on the cheap and a M70 XTR .270 that has a synthetic stock shaped like the M70 Featherweight, a style i like very much. Both stocks I believe were made for Winchester by McMillan. That Featherweight style can be found on their website. Now we come to that overpriced POS Stainless Classic. does it have a McMillan synthetic stock. Oh no, one of the most expensive guns in the "Big W" line up at the time I bought it has a POS piece of Tupperware junk. :mad: The recoil pad, if you want to call it that makes the rock of Gibralter look like a soft sponge. :barf: Best that gun will do it 4" at 100 yards and that's on a good day. :( I'd take that POS rifle to a gun show and trade it off if my conscience would let me live with screwing some poor guy on the deal. No wonder winchester (USRAC) folded. And yes, I ought it brand new.
I guess my point is it's not only Remington that's done people wrong. At least Winchester paid the price. Dunno how their reincarnation is gonna turn out. One and only wait and see. Maybe if they bring the Featherweight out in
7x57. :cool: I have one in the push feed version and no way will I sell that one off.
Paul B.

WestLuther
March 8, 2012, 12:51 PM
I just purchased a Remington 35 Whelen BDL. The gun is 23 years old in mint condition. Hasn't fired more then 20 rounds. I gladly paid $750.00 for it. Some might think that's a lot for an older gun but in my opinion the quality is much better in those guns then the new ones that you could spend 2x as much for. It took me 2 years to find what I was looking for but it was worth it. I'm still a true Remington fan. Just not a fan of the new ones as much.

Sweet Shooter
March 8, 2012, 01:28 PM
Hello West... Very old thread, but nice find at an exceptional price for that particular gun. Welcome by the way. Can you post some pic of your Whelen Rem? Is it scoped?
-SS-

WestLuther
March 8, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hello Sweet. I will take pictures tonight and post them. It is a beauty. It was made in October of 89. First year of production. it has mounts but no scope yet. I have a vortex scope I might put on it. I may break down and buy a Leup. I will be taking it moose hunting this year!

Art Eatman
March 8, 2012, 11:13 PM
Sorry, but these current posts don't relate to the thread topic.