PDA

View Full Version : How to shoot AR-15 left handed for right handed guy?

dec41971
January 3, 2010, 06:03 PM
Shot my first rifle yesterday. I couldn't hit **** using my right hand. Rifle was M&P-15-22, an AR-15 type rifle. I am a very good pistol shot, but the problem is I am left-eye dominant right-handed guy. This is no problem with a pistol, but when it comes to a rifle, I am awkward and uncoordinated. Badly enough that when I line up the sights on the rifle and use my right hand, the impact point is way-way off target. Nowhere near the man sized paper even at 20yards. If I switch over to left hand shooting, I can hit my aim point, but can't seem to hold the gun steady enough without moving. Also after a mere 3 minutes I am tired already. It feels so weird! Then it gets worse, ejected shells keep hitting my arm near the bicepts, and I get to beath all the gun powder and smoke too. What to do? Any advice?

Actually I could feel little tiny pebbles in my mouth probably from the ejected debri out of the rifle.:eek: Tried placing stock in different positions, tried longer and shorter stocks with little change. Smae problem each time.:barf: :mad:

Drummer101
January 3, 2010, 06:22 PM
I have the same problem, left eye dominant (I can hardly see out of my right eye) and right handed.

I just trained myself to shoot rifle left handed (pellet guns are good training). For the debris you could try a new upper or wear an eye patch on the left eye depending upon you vision. But shooting with one eye I think has its limits.

Currently I shoot pistols right handed but I am thinking of switching.

You could try getting a scope that is offset, but that is more of a custom order.

ndking1126
January 3, 2010, 06:30 PM
I've seen a few posts on this in the past. You could search for them. Seems I remember the general consensus being it's easier to learn to shoot with the non-dominant hand to utilize the dominant eye. I don't remember if any were specific to ARs, as the shell coming out is not easy to do anything about.

kraigwy
January 3, 2010, 06:36 PM
Close your left eye.

This is really quite common. All you have to do is close your left eye. If you have to shoot with both eyes open, put a patch on your left lense of your shooting glasses.

When I frist started running sniper schools we were using M1C/Ds. We had some left handed shooters complaining you couldnt shoot a M1C or D left handed, I took the rifle and showed them as a right handed shooter, right eye domennt, If I can do it, they being left handed could.

Abel
January 3, 2010, 06:37 PM
Seems simple; just practice left handed. In basic training, we had to learn to shoot with our dominant eye. It usually takes a soldier about a day of shooting to be proficient.

pvt.Long
January 3, 2010, 06:50 PM
it just takes a little time to get used to.

dec41971
January 3, 2010, 06:53 PM
I suppose I can practice with left hand and get proficient eventually. Problem is that still does not eliminate the problem of me breathing in all the ejection port smoke and debris. I can shoot right handed and feel comfortable with it, but I can't hit anything that way.

Even looking at this with my right eye only doesn't seem to do anything for my marksmanship. I will go back to the range within the week and report back. :(

Abel
January 3, 2010, 07:17 PM
Problem is that still does not eliminate the problem of me breathing in all the ejection port smoke and debris. I can shoot right handed and feel comfortable with it, but I can't hit anything that way.

Problem? What problem? I love the smell of gunpowder!

Seriously, there is no solution other than to close your left eye and learn to shoot righty, or suck it up and expose yourself (gasp!) to the gunpowder fumes. Or, wear a gas mask.

You are the first person that I have ever personally heard voicing concern about fumes and debris being ingested by a lefty shooting a righty gun. I have shot right handed guns my whole life left handed. I may die this week from these fumes for all I know. Good luck finding a solution.

tju1973
January 3, 2010, 08:35 PM
I was an 8531(PMI) at Edson Range in 96-97-- and the wierdest thing was to have to get down and shoot a recruits weapon the same way he did-- I mean if I had to sit on a southpaw. I did get used to it, and actually became a pretty good shot, but dang if it didn't feel like I was "wiping with the wrong hand"...I didn't have any issues with bras hitting me though...

rjrivero
January 3, 2010, 08:55 PM
Left Eye Dominant means learning to shoot left handed (if you want to maximize your potential.)

I've heard arguments about cross eye sighting, and have seen guys try to compensate with all kinds of funny optic mounting "solutions." In the end, they are much more happy with their shooting when they finally decide to give up the nonsense and learn to shoot left handed.

If you are serious about using AR style rifles, then Stag Arms is going to be your friend.

They are the only ones I know who make a left handed AR upper.

Link Here. (http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=17&products_id=249)

Tucker 1371
January 3, 2010, 10:20 PM
I've got the same condition, never shot a left handed rifle in my life either. I started shooting rifles first so this has never been an issue for me. All I would say is that you need some conditioning to it. You said you get tired, well I'm no expert but I would think that's just the way it's going to be until you're conditioned to it, kinda like running distance. Eventually it will get easier. Just log as much trigger time as you can afford.

vranasaurus
January 3, 2010, 11:02 PM
As a RH/LED person I have never had a problem with debris or gases. This seems to not be all that uncommon of a situation and I have never heard of this issue.

Ever since I picked up my first long gun I have been shooting them left handed. I never really noticed I was doing it differently than everybody else until I got to basic training.

I can shoot a rifle RH in a pinch but I am not nearly as good or comfortable doing so.

You have two choices learn to close your left eye, which I can't do without squinting my right eye, or learn to shoot left handed.

I would advise that option #2 is your best choice.

But then again I may just be a wierdo who shoots rifles left handed, pistols right handed, eats with either hand but only cuts food with the right hand, and only buys left handed fishing reels.

rjrivero
January 3, 2010, 11:08 PM
But then again I may just be a wierdo who shoots rifles left handed, pistols right handed, eats with either hand but only cuts food with the right hand, and only buys left handed fishing reels.

That would be IDEAL. Single point sling the rifle on your left side with your handgun strapped on a right side holster? No rifle tangling with the pistol? Shoot. Sign me up for THAT!!

landcruzr
January 4, 2010, 08:53 AM
If you havent already purchased your own weapon, you could look at STAG- I'm pretty sure they are making left handed AR's-
I guessing there are others as well