PDA

View Full Version : Guitar cases for AR use?

GA Limited GM
January 3, 2010, 11:11 AM
Seems I saw where a guy was using a soft/hard guitar case for carrying his AR. I sometimes ride my bike to the range and would like something that didnt have the granola munchers dialing the Po-Po.:rolleyes:

Anyone have pics or/and specs on the case?

4V50 Gary
January 3, 2010, 11:44 AM
guitar case for a gun. Link (http://www.cromwell-intl.com/garand/m1-garand-assembly/custom-case.html)

GA Limited GM
January 3, 2010, 11:46 AM
Sorry. I got as far as the Salma Hayek picture and lost focus. :D

Interesting, but Im leaning more toward the soft type cases.

I do appreciate the link!

TsocketslugK
January 3, 2010, 11:55 AM
I have to try that :D

wogpotter
January 3, 2010, 04:37 PM
How about using the soft case those folding camp chairs come in.
The ones that fit the type of chair with a folding footrest will take a full length MBR.

Smarkach
January 3, 2010, 07:49 PM
I used to carry my bushy carbine and m1 carbine folder in tennis racket cases strapped to the back of my bike. Even got pulled over for speeding, I laughed when the trooper asked me if I had fun at the courts. I explained I was on my way to a range. I didn't get the ticket.

10-96
January 4, 2010, 04:06 AM
I bought a soft sided and padded guitar case that's working out really well. It has shoulder straps (2), durable stitching and zipper, and extra pockets and pouches. It hold 2 small rifles (or 1 scoped varminter), eyes and ears, gloves, media filled rabbit ear bag, ammo, small screwdriver set, cleaning kit, and an emergency Dr Pepper. Works great.

bangbang777
January 4, 2010, 07:51 PM
That's the greatest idea I have heard all week!

GA Limited GM
January 10, 2010, 11:43 PM
You guys be sure and post pics of your creativeness.

darkgael
January 11, 2010, 07:48 AM
Yep. Guitar cases work just fine. For years - I live most of the time in NYC - Brooklyn, NY - and carrying a rifle through the streets is problematic even with the range only five blocks away. I used and still use a soft guitar case for a .22 match rifle. The rifle, bloop tube, extra sights, sling, tools - all fit.
Pete

guitar1580
January 18, 2010, 02:31 AM
It is a great idea!

The soft ones are called "gig bags", and many have a handle for carrying, as well as backpack style straps for hands free carrying, accessory compartments, etc. There are some very nice tan/khaki colored padded tweed ones, as well as black.

I have an old black nylon one in the basement that I got with an ebay guitar, never thought of putting a gun in it.;) You guys are crafty.

Josh P

jtc2162
January 18, 2010, 08:35 AM
A gig bag isn't going to do much except stop the gun from being scratched. You can certainly still damage it through the fabric of the bag.

I used to use my hardshell guitar case to smuggle 30 packs of beer into the dorms when I was underage, so I can attest firsthand to it's stealth. Guitar cases don't appear out of the ordinary anywhere.

CRUE CAB
January 22, 2010, 03:54 PM
Loved that movie.