PDA

View Full Version : Free floating a barrel on a Browning BAR

hometheaterman
January 3, 2010, 12:50 AM
So for you guys that have Browning BAR's have you free floated the barrel? I have heard several guys recommend I sand the forearm so that it's not touching the barrel. In factory configuration it was touching on one side but not on the other. In order to get it to not touch on either it now is more wood on one side of the forearm than the other side. I'm sure you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it but it still sort of bugs me. However, if I sand wood off the other side it will make it a lot larger gap between the forearm than barrel. Did you guys free float yours? Or did you leave them alone? If you did free float them did you run into this issue? It's like the forearm may not have been cut perfectly in the center or something. The barrel seems to be further to the right than the center of the forearm when you put it all together.

tINY
January 3, 2010, 01:07 AM
Wood changes dimensions a bit as it ages and heats and cools and dries and reabsorbs water....

A tight fit doesn't allow for a barrel to stay free floated if the stock takes a slight check.

I don't know if free-floating a BAR makes a difference - semi-autos introduce a lot of other variables.

-tINY

hometheaterman
January 3, 2010, 01:16 AM
So is me having free floated it going to make it worse? Or will it just not have helped if it doesn't help? It was also wearing the bluing off the barrel where it was touching which I didn't like.

tINY
January 3, 2010, 02:28 AM
You probably won't hurt accuracy enough to worry about. You'd have to have a lot of pressure to keep the gas system from moving the barrel enough to do anything for accuracy.

-tINY

Scorch
January 3, 2010, 06:41 PM
:rolleyes: You cannot free-float the barrel on a BAR. The forearm is screwed to the barrel.

tINY
January 3, 2010, 06:58 PM
Well, there you have it....

-tINY

Brenten
January 3, 2010, 10:06 PM
The forearm is fitted into a slot pivots up and screwed into the barrel at the far end. if you could figure out a way to affix the stock to the receiver where it pivots then it would be no problem, but there is not much there to work with. you could try bedding it to get rid of slop, but there isn't much else you can do.

abarhorst
January 4, 2010, 09:30 AM
Is there any need to try to free float a barrel on a two piece stock. I would think that the forehand part of the stock was normally attached to the barrel in most cases.

mapsjanhere
January 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
Not really, if you could find a way to keep your grubby fingers of the fore stock it wouldn't matter. But since you're holding on to it you're asserting pressure in slightly different ways every time, so a free floating barrel would be great.

andrewstorm
January 4, 2010, 11:57 PM
the boss system is an accurizing system for the bar,some guns can get 3/4 in groups with it, my bar in 308 win gets them with cheap ammo [:)rem]