PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 question ,Match grade or standard barrel , rate of twist

captbkw
December 30, 2009, 04:59 PM
have a chance to buy a Colt AR 15 H-bar 20 in. tapered standard target barrel 1-7 twist chrome lined nib for $900.00 but don't know a lot about then , I am a bolt action guy .what is the big differents between match and standard barrel I enjoy long range shooting an want a twist i can shoot different grain ammo not be limited, but shooting no more than 600 yds. short on time have 1 week to deside need help

Jimro
December 30, 2009, 05:30 PM
1:7 will shoot any round you can stuff in the magazine.

Jimro

bedlamite
December 30, 2009, 05:38 PM
1:7 will shoot any round you can stuff in the magazine.

And some you can't, like the 80-90gr bullets. The 75/77 gr bullets are about the longest you can fit in the mag. SOME of the longer 1:9 twist barrels will stabilize them. My 1:8 barrel loves the Hornady 75gr BTHP, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a good deal on a 1:7.

DnPRK
December 30, 2009, 05:46 PM
1:7 will shoot any bullet, including 80 grainers. But, you will probably have to single load the 80 gr bullets because they will be too long to fit in a magazine. A SLED is great for single loading.

And $900 is a great price. I wouldn't wait more than a New York minute before buying it.

cplmike1
December 30, 2009, 06:25 PM
Ok, I am fairly new to ARs but, in researching twist rates of all the opinions I have read nobody has mentioned what bullets could and could not be used in different barrel twists ratios. I understood that generally, for the most accurate long range target rifle you want a long heavy barrel with a 1:8 ratio. The Stag Arms Model 6L (Super Varminter) with a 24" Heavy barrel 1:8 was tested by Guns and Ammo and had 1/2moa. I don't THINK they mentioned what bullet they used.

So now look what you have done.. I have to go back and do more research as to what barrel I want to get for the AR I am building. But, thanks though I would not of even considered the gr. of bullets. had I not read this thread.