PDA

View Full Version : Remington 750 vs 7600 vs BAR

Texased
December 28, 2009, 09:11 PM
Who on the forum has had time on the range or field with any of these rifles,
(Remington 750 vs 7600 vs Browning BAR standard or Short or Long Trac) and how would you say they compare. Using my rifles for mostly deer hunting - looking at the 30-06 or 308. Thanks and shoot safe.

buymore
December 29, 2009, 09:49 AM
Why did you leave the 760 out? Alot of hunters will tell you they'd trade the 7600 in for a 760 and be very happy! I haven't read much or even seen a 750 in my hands to say what's what about them, but I recently went with a 760 because of the outstanding reputation they carry.

Abel
December 29, 2009, 10:28 AM
I have experience with all three. The Remington auto is prone to jams. The other two are fine, but the BAR is just a really nice rifle. I agree with the above...an older 760 pump is probably less expensive and better built than new Remington offerings. That's just my opinion, worth about zero dollars.

Brenten
December 29, 2009, 11:04 AM
go with the BAR, a timeless classic and still being made.

Remington does not back up any firearm and spare parts will be an issue. All of the Remington 742's out there are suffering from this. They are not even worth buying for $300 since if something breaks and it will, you cannot easily fix it.

GeauxTide
December 29, 2009, 12:27 PM
In my early days, the 742 was the rifle everyone used in LA (except me). They always cussed the jams. The BAR came out the year after I started hunting and I bought two, a 308 and 7mmRM. They were accurate, dependable, and soft recoiling. I started reloading the next year and switched to bolts.

Palmetto-Pride
December 29, 2009, 01:29 PM
The 750 is pretty much the 7400 revamped, I had one, never had any problems with it jamming, I believe it shot 1.5-2 MOA, the biggest thing I did not like about it was that if you took the barrel off to clean it and didn't tighten the barrel nut to the exact same torque as before you would loose zero. It served its purpose, killing deer out to 200yds....and that's about it. Its not going to be as accurate as a bolt and it wasn't designed to be......with all that said go for the BAR...........:)

NWCP
December 29, 2009, 02:17 PM
I have an older BAR in .338 Win Mag. It's a great rifle.

giaquir
December 29, 2009, 02:50 PM
I've had the 742 and BAR in 308,
both good hunting rifles, never had
a jam in the 308-still have it.The BAr
is surprising accurate and it throws
the spent shell forward for us lefties
although never had an issue with a semi.
I had to trade the BAr in another
gun I didn't need

hometheaterman
December 29, 2009, 11:11 PM
Bar would be my choice without a doubt. Remington really seems to have quality issues now adays. A friend just bought a new semi auto Remington .243 I think it's the 750 but I'm not positive. He hates it. At first it wouldn't load the second shell fully after shooting. They found out it had a burr in the barrel and got it fixed. He didn't want to have to send it into Remington during hunting season. Now he doesn't like it because he says it isn't accurate at all.

On the other hand another friend has a 7600 and seems to like it. I wouldn't mind having an older one like his however for hunting I prefer semi autos.

Another hunting buddy has a Remington 7400 and it seems decent but is an older one also. It's not all that accurate either but fine for hunting.

My experience along with a lot of others I hunt with has been if you are going to get a Remington get a old one. The quality doesn't seem there on new ones.

As for the BAR I have one that I like. It's also isn't the most accurate but seems decent. It's easy to get 2" groups with ammo it likes at 100 yards. Sometimes I can get them about 1" so when they are bigger I'm not sure if it's all the gun or partly me. It's accurate enough to hunt with anyway. Shoots about how my buddies 7400 does. Some ammo it was horrible with accuracy wise but it seems to like Federal ammo. Some of the newer ones with the boss are supposed to be really accurate.

When it comes to the fit and finish of the bar that's where it shines. It's a geat quality gun without all the jamming issues the Remingtons seem to have.
To me the BAR is just way nicer than the others and I did and would choose it again.

One thing I'd stay away from is the Remington 742.

moosemike
December 30, 2009, 01:10 PM
The auto's are too heavy for me. I've had several 760 pumps and one 7600 pump. The 7600 was a 7mm-08 and it outshot my 760's and was lighter to boot. I want to get another 7600.

plom
December 30, 2009, 02:58 PM
I had 3 different 750 and none of them were reliable. My 7600 in 35 whelen was a great compact carbine.
If you want a BAR, find an old all steel model.
The only 200% reliable semi auto hunting rifle I finally found (and believe me I tryed a lot) was the HK SLB 2000+. By far the most accurate and reliable.

wnycollector
December 30, 2009, 05:52 PM
+1 on the 760 being smoother than a 7600. I have had the pleasure of shooting my uncles 1958 Remi 760 ADL in 30-06. It was is a work of art. Crisp trigger, SMOOTH action and very accurate (due to it free floated barrel). I have been on a hunt for a 760 carbine in 30-06 or .308, so I check out lots of 7600's and 760's at gun shows. None of the 7600's I have checked out was as smooth as a beat to hell 760.

BruceM
December 30, 2009, 05:56 PM
BAR all the way. More expensive but a better rifle all around.

Bruce

JD 500
December 30, 2009, 06:13 PM
Have a BAR Lightweight Stalker ( BAR w/ composite stocks) in 300 wm.
It is a 1 moa rifle, and is really close to as accurate as my bolt Tikka. Probably more accurate than some bolts. It has never jammed.
I don't think you would be unhappy with the BAR.

BIGR
December 30, 2009, 08:14 PM
BAR costs more but its a real shooter for sure. Its worth it, buy one and enjoy it.