PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the Ruger Mini 14 20CF?

RetiredMajor
December 21, 2009, 11:13 AM
I've included a link and wonder if anyone here owns one or has fired one. I'm thinking of purchasing one.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/mini14RifleATIStock/models.html

Thanks for any input.
Major

olyinaz
December 21, 2009, 11:32 AM
Can I ask you what interests you in that model vs. other Mini-14s? That's not a loaded question, I'm honestly just curious.

Thanks,
Oly

RetiredMajor
December 21, 2009, 12:23 PM
olyinaz...no problem. I've been going back and forth between the AR platform and a mini-14. I spent many years in the US Army, so I know the AR platform inside and out. I like the action type of the mini-14's and this one looked pretty nice. I like the folding stock and plenty of rails for a scope and other accessories, if I want to add them later.

I can't decide between an AR/M4 or Mini-14...so I'm seeing what other people think and know. One of my instincts tell me that if I'm going to spend $750 on a mini-14, I should spend a little more for an AR/M4.

Major

olyinaz
December 21, 2009, 07:40 PM
I can't disagree with your gut on this one, but I can offer a suggestion. If you're interested in a Mini-14 I'd highly suggest the cheapest, wood stocked model you can find. They're fun to shoot but the price and the look are the selling points in my view.

If you want the rails and jazz I'd go with your gut and do an AR because that's really what they excel at and of course an AR tends to be a bit more accurate out of the box.

On the other hand, an AR tarted up with the rails etc. will set you back quite a bit more money and it will absolutely NOT be more reliable than a Mini! They do tend to go bang every time. :o

Good luck!!

Best,
Oly

KMO
December 22, 2009, 08:37 AM
I had one of those ATI tactical stocks on my Mini-14 for awhile. I really just did it as part of a "dress-up" for a gun show where I was selling a different Mini-14 accessory. The ATI stock is a quality item, though, and some guys really like to go with all the tactical toys mounted on all that rail room. I took my Mini's back to a more traditional look, though. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I still prefer the Mini-14 with a nicely finished wood stock. Mine will fire just as fast and dependably as the black plastic war models if I should need them to, but in the meantime I like seeing them in wood. To each his own...either way I think you'll like the rifle...;)

gkdir
December 22, 2009, 11:31 AM
Well--if you're retired, that puts us in about the same age category, and I too paid my dues with Uncle Sam, so having established all that !!! The Mini 14/30, is as reliable as any "blow back" type rifle thats out their. Pretty much digests everything ya feed it, runs pretty good even when filthy, and will consistently hit a man size target at 100yds--might(maybe) even hit something considerably smaller--if ya get it done in the first 3 or 4 rounds. After the barrel gets hot--all bets are off. This can be cured, but it will cost ya. Super enjoyable rifle to shoot, ya just have to ask yourself what ya want out of it. Of course someone is going to chime in with their " sub moa at 200yds, with 21mi. cross wind, low light, off hand shot--yea right--send the video--still shots not allowed. Ya want consistent accuracy--get the AR platform--ya want to just go out and do a little experimenting--go with the mini. So someone doesn't think I'm "anti mini"--I presently own 5 in various forms. I actually achieve much better accuracy from my mini 30's than my 14's. Just a thought.