PDA

View Full Version : NC Handgun: Waiting period?

ang4me
December 13, 2009, 06:33 PM
Is there a waiting period to get a Pistol Permit in NC (I live in Orange County), or can I get it that same day?

Same question, for a CCW permit. How long, in days, does it take to get one, from start to finish?

I looked through the laws on the NC gov website, but it wasn't clear whether or not they make you wait. I'm leaving to go hunting Tuesday, and I was going to try and buy myself a handgun on Monday.... I'm a student so I live out of state at my school, but legally I'm still a NC resident.

Thanks!

hoytinak
December 13, 2009, 06:34 PM
When I lived in Cumberland County a couple years ago it took 3-5 days for handgun permits depending on how busy they were. You could get up to 5 at a time, they were $5 each and was good for 5 years from date of purchase.

Alot of it's going to depend on teh County itself though.

RT
December 13, 2009, 06:44 PM
Durham Co. would make you wait for 30 days. Yes, 30 days. I kid you not.

bangbangshootshoot
December 13, 2009, 06:45 PM
My carry permit arrived 3 days short of the 90 day waiting period.

ang4me
December 13, 2009, 06:55 PM
Wow, that's stinky. Somehow I hadn't heard of this particular type of permit until now. Not that I intend to buy multiple handguns any time soon, but do you have to have a permit for every handgun you own?

BKScripto
December 13, 2009, 06:55 PM
I live in Iredell county and I got my purchase permit in a matter of minutes while I was waiting at the Statesville Sheriff's Department.

On the other hand, in the next county south of Iredell (Mecklenburg) it takes 4-5 weeks on average from what I've been told at the local guns shops residing in that county.

Apparently it depends on the county, Statesville (Iredell county) is a much smaller town than say Charlotte or Mooresville (Mecklenburg county), thus not as busy and a quicker turn around time.

I would say you will have to wait at bare minimum 30 days for a concealed carry permit in just about any county. Even in Iredell the current average wait is anyway from 4-8 weeks from what I've heard. Of course, you will have to take the CCW class before even applying for a CCW permit.

To get a better idea, I would ring up a local gun shop in your county, I'm sure they can give you a decent time-line.

ang4me
December 13, 2009, 06:56 PM
The really irritating part of all this is that I'm only home until January 4th; if it comes after that I'll either have to drive back home from GA to actually buy the gun, or wait until spring break or some crap. [And yes, I'm aware of the fact that I can't keep the gun on campus back in GA; I've got a friend who will keep it for me.]

BKScripto
December 13, 2009, 06:59 PM
Wow, that's stinky. Somehow I hadn't heard of this particular type of permit until now. Not that I intend to buy multiple handguns any time soon, but do you have to have a permit for every handgun you own?

Yes, you will need to have one permit for evey handgun you buy. My county allows up to 4 permits to be purchased at a time, so I just buy 4 so I don't have to worry about for a little while, depending on my buying habits that month ;)

It's a better system than Maryland, I use to live there and they have a mandatory 5-day waiting period before you can even take your weapon home! At least in NC I can have permits on hand and take my gun home the same day I buy it...

bangbangshootshoot
December 13, 2009, 07:01 PM
Once you have your Concealed Permit, you can buy as many guns as you want.
Otherwise each $5 permit allows you to buy one gun.

blume357
December 14, 2009, 07:04 AM
that would challenge this B.S.

It is obviously left over from the Jim Crow days.

ang4me
December 14, 2009, 04:41 PM
Duuuuude, this is such a hassle.

First I got there (it's about 45 minutes away, in the far corner of my county), and they hand me the form and ask for my social security card. I didn't have it on me, so I went back home and returned to the sheriff's office a few hours later with the SS card. D'oh. Turns out that, in addition to the SS card, I need 3 buddies and a notary. Yeah, no, I don't have those in my back pocket either. And all this is just to get a permit to buy a .22 plinker so I can go to the range with my buddies. Free country my a$$.

hoytinak
December 14, 2009, 04:55 PM
Turns out that, in addition to the SS card, I need 3 buddies and a notary.

Amazing how different the counties in the same state are. Didn't need any of that in Cumberland County. :confused:

bangbangshootshoot
December 14, 2009, 05:02 PM
In Durham you can get 2 permits at a time and also need 2 character references. Never heard of the '3 buddies' thing. :confused:

ang4me
December 14, 2009, 05:36 PM
Yup, here in Orange County you have to have 3 references [can't be relatives] who have to vouch that you are "of good moral character," all in front of a notary.

This is further complicated for me by the fact that, despite being an NC resident, 99% of the time I'm in GA at school. Heck, I haven't taken a class or worked a job in NC in almost 5 years, so I guess I'm gonna be calling up old highschool friends to ask them to go be a witness for me. Kinda awkward, lol.

hardluk1
December 14, 2009, 07:48 PM
I live in yancey county and i now must rethink how solid and quickly the sherrifs dept works here. Before my ccw it was up to a week for a handgun and you could make that 2 guns. and do it again when you wanted to. CCW go in and get what you want and go in 10minutes time. No references needed. Sold a gun and tried to get the required paperwork from my sherrif and was told to just besure to get any personal info for my records...

Lee Lapin
December 14, 2009, 08:39 PM
It differs somewhat from county to county. The pistol purchase permit is essentially proof of a background check that assures the dealer/seller you aren't a felon- and yes, you should have a purchase permit for private party sales as well. Once you get your concealed carry permit, you won't have to bother with pistol purchase permits any more. But to follow the law in NC as it is right now, you have to have one or the other to buy a handgun.

Don't complain too much- when I first moved here, you couldn't even get a concealed carry permit. The best you could do was open carry in your vehicle. Dang near got me mugged one night, but I won the footrace to my car...

lpl

ang4me
December 14, 2009, 10:24 PM
Can I safely assume that if the pistol permit requires 3 witnesses, that a CCW permit will require at least that much?

bangbangshootshoot
December 14, 2009, 10:51 PM
No 'witnesses' needed, just a couple of names in case you need to be checked out. You do however need to complete of a concealed carry course.
Go down to the sheriff's office & ask for the application. They'll tell you everything you need before applying.
The course is a breeze to pass.

bangbangshootshoot
December 14, 2009, 10:54 PM
Go here:
http://www.co.orange.nc.us/SHERIFF/communityService/ccw.htm

2kflhr
December 14, 2009, 11:13 PM
Just to set the record straight... Mooresville IS in Iredell County. Please don't call it Mecklenburg county. Mecklenburg County :barf:

I don't doubt Statesville can produce a purchse permit really quick. I lived in Charlotte for many years and it took about 90 days to get my CCP back in the late 90's. I've renewed it twice since living in Iredell and it usually takes about 2 weeks or less.

bangbangshootshoot
December 14, 2009, 11:19 PM
Please don't call it Mecklenburg county. Mecklenburg County
Oh brother..

ang4me
December 14, 2009, 11:47 PM
Huh. I guess you're right. It mentions having 3 references on the Pistol Permit page, but not on the CCW page. I guess they figure that if you're a bad apple, your CCW instructor will figure that out? Either way, that makes it a little bit more simple.

Too bad the wait for the permit is 90 days.... guess I know where I'm going for spring break, right back here to NC to buy a handgun once and for all.

bangbangshootshoot
December 15, 2009, 12:08 AM
Your instructor knows nothing about you, you're just taking his class. When you submit your carry application along with your completed course certificate, your background check begins...
90 days later you go shopping.

googabeest
December 15, 2009, 01:33 AM
I hope I'm not changing the subject too much, but as someone considering a move to NC I'm wondering how difficult a handgun purchase would be. Would I have to wait until I can find 3 locals to vouch for me before buying a handgun to keep at home? Would it likely be faster to just take the CCW course?

I'm surprised NC has these types of restrictions. I live in a very gun-unfriendly state and I sort of assumed in a state like NC you could buy a handgun for the home with just the usual NICS check.

BKScripto
December 15, 2009, 02:58 AM
Just to set the record straight... Mooresville IS in Iredell County. Please don't call it Mecklenburg county. Mecklenburg County

I don't doubt Statesville can produce a purchse permit really quick. I lived in Charlotte for many years and it took about 90 days to get my CCP back in the late 90's. I've renewed it twice since living in Iredell and it usually takes about 2 weeks or less.

I wasn't thinking when I said Mooresville is Meck. County. I know better...But I've only lived here for 1 year, so give me a break :p

BKScripto
December 15, 2009, 03:13 AM
I hope I'm not changing the subject too much, but as someone considering a move to NC I'm wondering how difficult a handgun purchase would be. Would I have to wait until I can find 3 locals to vouch for me before buying a handgun to keep at home? Would it likely be faster to just take the CCW course?

I'm surprised NC has these types of restrictions. I live in a very gun-unfriendly state and I sort of assumed in a state like NC you could buy a handgun for the home with just the usual NICS check.

googabeest, NC really isn't that bad. As stated earlier, I went to the Sheriff's office and they did my background check and sold me 4 purchase permits then and there. I guess there are exceptions to my experience, but if you have to wait a little while to get your permit(s), at least you can buy more than 1 at a time. As far as the "3 references" thing, that is a per county rule. Personaly, that is the first I have heard of it. My advice would be to contact the local Sheriff's office in the county you wish to reside.

After your permit(s) are on hand, you just walk into a gun shop pay for the gun and hand them 1 permit, then take your gun home.
In Maryland (sort of an unfriendly state) the background check was all done via the gun shop, but there was a mandatory 5 day waiting period before you could take a handgun home :barf:
And in order to get a CCW, it was hit or miss. You were at the mercy of whoever was reviewing your application that day and whether or not they thought your reason was relevant enough to carry CCW. At least NC is a "shall issue" state as far as Concealed Carry permits go.

-BK

blume357
December 17, 2009, 07:37 AM
the first place.

S.C. is bad enough, I really don't think I could stand it in N.C. (I actually have a residence there too) but buy my guns down here in the 'south'.

With out a CWP in S.C. you walk in the store... pick out the pistol, fill out the paper work, they call it in and 90+% of the time you pay them and walk out.
with a CWP they don't make the call, just put your permit number on the form.

I wonder what the percentages are of minorities in N.C. that get pistol permits? I bet it is way down.

milky7272
December 17, 2009, 07:58 AM
In Union county,N.C., I went two weeks ago on a Friday to get some more pistol permits, you can buy 4 at a time, filled out the paper. All I needed was a NCDL, and marked the spot on the form to pick them up rather than have them mailed. Gentleman at the sheriffs office called Saturday and I went down and picked them up.:D

bangbangshootshoot
December 17, 2009, 08:19 AM
I wonder what the percentages are of minorities in N.C. that get pistol permits? I bet it is way down.
Off topic & not sure where to find such info.

goalie35
December 20, 2009, 03:33 AM
Brother Lindy (Pendergrass, the Sheriff of Notting...um, Orange County since 1982) is a thoroughgoing asshat. He makes no bones about not wanting to grant anyone a permit, and about putting more restrictions on than the law requires. My late wife and I applied for our first purchase permits in 1982; hers took five days, mine took five weeks. Much happier with Catawba County, where I now reside. Just got my CCH in less than 3 weeks.

RedneckFur
December 20, 2009, 05:13 AM
I live in Orange County, NC, and I got a CCW permit to bypass Sheriff Lindy's restrictive handgun laws.

While I was submitting my paperwork for CCW, a gentleman came into the Sheriff's dept seeking a pistol purchase permit. He had all the stuff required of him by Orange County. Character Refrences and all. After handing the paperwork over to the desk officer, the officer asked the gentleman if he knew an officer or deputy personally. The gentleman said "No sir, I do not". The officer gave the packet of paperwork back to the gentleman and told him not to bother with applying for a permit.

Was that legal? I'd like to assume that is wasnt, but I saw it with my own two eyes, in the Orange County Sherrif's department.

NC state law requires that if you pass the CCW permiting process, you must be issued your permit within 90 days. Many other NC counties will get the permit to you in a matter of weeks. My permit took me 92 days, 2 days longer than legally allowed. Althought I dont know for sure, I suspect the sheriff's department held it for the extra days just to push their agenda... that they dont support an armed citizenship.

oldman1946
December 20, 2009, 06:31 AM
From what I read on here, I would not live in NC. About the only thing I figure that would be worse would be having to live in either DC or Detroit.

Louisiana has open carry, anyone meeting the Federal requirements can buy as many guns as they can afford with no permit needed and a CCW only takes an instructional course on firearms that includes a handgun shooting class. A parish permit allowing CCW within the parish takes 3-5 days.

I think those living in NC needs to be more political and get rid of those placing this type of restrictions on the citizens.

Glenn Dee
December 20, 2009, 09:08 AM
Move to Florida...lol:cool:

oldman1946
December 20, 2009, 09:57 AM
Move to Florida...lol

It is 30 degrees here right now. That is up from 24 degrees just a couple hours ago.

FL sounds great to me.