PDA

View Full Version : Ruger mini 14 ammunition suggestions wanted

Celo456
December 12, 2009, 10:05 PM
I have a ruger mini 14. it is a older rifle made in 1976. I inherited it from my father, and I Do not know of it's life prior to 1990. But i do know it is in wonderful working and looking shape so I assume it was babied, and I want to keep it in this shape. I bought some Russian made surplus ammo. Upon hearing this a few people I know who claim to know better than I do told me this is a mistake. I could accept this but I can't get a straight reason why. Some say it will compromise my accuracy, others say it will Wear the gun down faster or outright damage the rifles action and barrel. Others have said it won't travel as far, move as fast, hit as hard etc. So what is the real story with wolf .223 Russian, and if thats no good, what should I load?

Relentless Pursuit
December 12, 2009, 10:17 PM
Copper washed steel jackets,ARE hard on barrels.

Wolf makes a multitude of ammo,some which is copper jacketed and corrosion proof(primers),while some of the lineage is far tougher on tubes and mercuric.

As a rule...you DO get what you pay for.

olyinaz
December 13, 2009, 03:37 AM
While the steel ammo is a bit harder on your steel rifle, it's not the end of the world if you just want to shoot up a few boxes. As far as how strong the stuff is I've it's maybe down 50fps or so from good stuff and shoots a bit sooty, but again - not the end of the world.

In general, however, the Mini-14 will give you better results with premium ammo.

Since you don't know the exact history of the rifle and when (or presumably if ever) it's been done, I suggest that you clean the copper out of the bore with some proper copper remover.

Best,
Oly

KMO
December 13, 2009, 06:53 AM
Well, if that rifle has been cared for as you describe for all of these years, why even risk subjecting it to something that may harm it? I've noticed that the Federal box of 100 rounds of .223 (155 gr.) is once again commonly available at Wal-Marts. Get some of that and sell that cheap Wolf stuff to someone whose rifle has not been cared for quite as well as yours...;)

radom
December 13, 2009, 09:47 AM
Thats a load of bull..most GI ammo is copper washed mild steel..is no harder than the newer copper jacket stuff. Almost all US GI 06 ammo is mild steel copper wash stuff.

Matt19
December 13, 2009, 10:15 AM
Do be wary of Wolf, especially the steel cased stuff. However, a few boxes of it now and then is not necessarily a bad thing.

stubbicatt
December 13, 2009, 10:52 AM
You could always shoot the rifle with what you have and if it doesn't work to your satisfaction, try something else.

Art Eatman
December 13, 2009, 11:02 AM
I never had a problem with gunshow reloads in my Minis. I guess I'd look around, find some reloader and try a few of his loads and then buy in bulk. Otherwise I guess I'd buy US-made stuff or PMC. Sellier&Belot works okay in my AR.

I just don't like to mess around with ammo where I hear about steel cases or varnish or steel jackets. I don't see the point to using that stuff.

Celo456
January 20, 2010, 02:49 AM
Thanks again for all the info. It was helpfull

Celo456
January 20, 2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks again for all the info. It was helpful

Celo456
January 20, 2010, 02:54 AM

Celo456
January 20, 2010, 03:16 AM

Celo456
January 20, 2010, 03:17 AM
Once again,Thanks again for all the info. It was helpfull

hagar
January 20, 2010, 11:29 AM
Try some 64 grain Winchester PP loads in your Mini, for mine it was THE magic load. It would scatter surplus 55 grain ammo 2-3 inches at 100 yards, but the 64 PP loads would shoot under an inch, sometimes way under an inch.

greyeyezz
January 20, 2010, 03:46 PM
Thats a load of bull..most GI ammo is copper washed mild steel..is no harder than the newer copper jacket stuff. Almost all US GI 06 ammo is mild steel copper wash stuff.

NONE of the milspec 556 ammo I have is steel jacketed. XM193, Q3131a, Winchester M855, none.