PDA

View Full Version : CMP Garand just arrived!

olyinaz
December 10, 2009, 03:02 PM
My CMP Garand just arrived! Woo hoo!! :D

My last was purchased over ten years ago and this Service Grade Springfield is MUCH nicer indeed (the last was a Field Grade I'm pretty certain now). Plenty of finish left (80-90% I'm thinking), wood excellent with no cracks and strong cartouches. High 5mil serial number with a near perfect '55 Springfield barrel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the trigger group is a low serial number appropriate unit because it's got the cast guard but so what - it's what the arsenal put on it and I don't care because this will be a SHOOTER for sure.

Dang I'm stoked! On my way to get some materials to clean it up right now. (No worries, I'm not going to ruin it - just get the cosmo off.)

Pix later. :cool:

Best,
Oly

Eggo
December 10, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'm a member of the CMP and have wanted to get one for a long time. I'm jealous. Let me know how she shoots.

sonick808
December 10, 2009, 03:50 PM
Score!!!!!!!! I am jealous!

BTW, PICS!!!!!! Show it off we wanna see ! :)

ETA: ok i see pix are coming later post-cleanage.

olyinaz
December 10, 2009, 06:18 PM
Huge gobs of cosmo in the stock but the action was much cleaner than my last Garand or the Carbine I got last year. Cleaned up very easily compared to either of those two. I used turpentine to clean the stock (seems strong enough to get junk off but not strong enough to cause any damage - someone embarrass me if I'm wrong) so the stock is still weeping a bit. I'm going to give it a few hours to dry and hit it with a first coat of raw inseed oil. Thankfully my wife is a health food nut so we've always got some handy...just call it "flax oil" instead of linseed oil and you can charge $10 for a few ounces of the stuff!

Hopefully some pix tonight. :)

Oly

WesM
December 10, 2009, 10:26 PM
PICS PICS PICS PICS

Congrats on your Garand! I just put my paperwork in the mail yesterday to order my first-ever CMP Garand. I wanna see your pics while I wait for mine to arrive on the porch!!

Stevie-Ray
December 10, 2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, yeah, big deal.:rolleyes: (Green with envy)

olyinaz
December 11, 2009, 01:05 AM
I'm leaving it as is. All I did was clean the gunk off:

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz/image/120182990/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz/image/120182992/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz/image/120182989/original.jpg

Schuster adjustable gas plug already installed! Can't wait to shoot it, might get out tomorrow with it weather permitting.

Cheers,
Oly

studman5578
December 11, 2009, 10:42 AM
That is one awesome rifle! The only thing I can criqitue about it is that it would look better in MY gun cabinet. Haha. Whats the CMP? How much was that rifle? I saw an article in the American Rifleman about civilians getting Grands delivered to them right to their door, is this what it is? but most importantly, HOW DO I GET ONE?!?!?!?! :D

horatioo
December 11, 2009, 12:29 PM
That looks nice. How long did it take between order time and when you received your Garand? I sent off the paper work for mine last week.

thanks

Flatbush Harry
December 11, 2009, 12:36 PM
For interested potential buyers, go to www.odcmp.com for info.

FH

Tim R
December 11, 2009, 01:21 PM
The service grade Springer M-1's I've been seeing lately coming out of the CMP have been very nice. I would say Oly's rifle is a pretty common example and absolutly a fine one.

I got my service grade when they were at $400.00 and no where near this nice.

stellite
December 11, 2009, 02:32 PM
I see the service grades are now at $595 ? that isn't to bad.

Stevie-Ray
December 11, 2009, 05:02 PM
Looks serious.

blu97
December 11, 2009, 05:55 PM
Got the e-mail order received 12-8-09, mailed 12-5-09

1 rack and 1 field grade SA M1 Garand.

Last one only took 58 days, lets see how long two take.

I feel better having a order pending.

olyinaz
December 11, 2009, 07:09 PM
I agree Tim - for some reason this one is much nicer than my last about ten years ago.

They shipped my order exactly one month to the day after showing the order as received so the orders must have eased up a bit.

I took it out shooting today with some of the Greek issue ammo and it's shooting about 4" groups off of a sand bag with iron sights and my crummy eyes. That's not too bad really. I suspect that with some good Hornady M1 or Federal Match ammo with a scope on my machine rest it would halve that but I'm going to stick to iron sights because, well, it's a Garand.

Best,
Oly

studman5578
December 11, 2009, 11:04 PM
What type of ammunition does a Garand take? I know its a 30-06, but how do the loads differ from that of a deer gun? is there a lower max pressure/velocity/OAL?

bcarver
December 12, 2009, 12:12 AM
It has to do with pressure.
Hornady has ammo and reload data.
Surplus from cmp is cheap shooting.

olyinaz
December 12, 2009, 03:47 AM
What type of ammunition does a Garand take? I know its a 30-06, but how do the loads differ from that of a deer gun? is there a lower max pressure/velocity/OAL?

If the Garand is stock then it needs to shoot mil-surp M1 ammo or M1 Garand specific loadings (usually about 150grain FMJ) such as those available from Hornady or Federal. If you put an adjustable gas cylinder nut on the rifle such as those available at Brownells you can shoot whatever you like!

It has something to do with the pressure curve (point at which the pressure peaks) and I guess modern .30-06 loads will eventually damage a Garand. It's an easy fix though so it's not a big deal.

Cheers,
Oly

Swampy1
December 12, 2009, 08:04 AM
olyinaz wrote
It has something to do with the pressure curve (point at which the pressure peaks) and I guess modern .30-06 loads will eventually damage a Garand. It's an easy fix though so it's not a big deal.

Right idea..... incorrect in detail...:)

The pressure peak is pretty much irrelevent to M1 operation. All rifle loads peak within a couple inches of the bullet leaving the brass, then drop off rapidly. What is critical to the gas system operation - safety of the M1 rifle is the residual pressure as the bullet passes the gas port. IIRC, spec port pressure for the M1 is between 4k and 6k psi.

The gas system of the M1 is designed to operate with mid-range burn rate powders, which leave a relatively low pressure at the port. Many commercial loadings of the 30-06 use slower burning powders that leave a much higher pressure as the bullet passes the port. This can cause problems with the gas system. Minor issues would be a gradual bending of the op-rod as it receives a battering beyond it's design spec. More major issues would be a broken op-rod, or even a cracked receiver heel.

Also.... re trigger guard. The WWII era tg your rifle has is forged and milled, not cast. ;)

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

2007 NRA Missouri state 600 yard Service Rifle champion..... with an M1 rifle.
Score 774-26x

stellite
December 12, 2009, 09:53 AM
swampy thanks for the excellent explanation. So how did the M1A get around this with the use of commercial hunting ammo?

WesM
December 12, 2009, 10:05 AM
Wow, it shipped one month after receiving your order??

I went ahead and placed my order this week to get on the list. But in reality, I was thinking I'd make a trip to Anniston and pick one out in the next 2 months. If it didn't work out, I'd have that order in the system as a backup.

But if they are shipping within a month or so, then my order may get here before I can make a trip!

Not that I'm complaining...;)

Swampy1
December 12, 2009, 10:26 AM
swampy thanks for the excellent explanation. So how did the M1A get around this with the use of commercial hunting ammo?

Only to a certain degree is that true......

The M14-M1A uses a gas cutoff system that allows just enough gas necessary to energize the piston and op-rod to enter the cylinder, then cuts off the supply.

The M14-M1A gas system is much more forgiving toward higher gas port pressure than the non-regulated system of the M1, but there are still limits as to how much is too much. High pressure loadings with slow burn rate powders can still force in enough pressure (Before the cutoff.) and impart enough energy to the op-rod to bend it or to crack the receiver heel over sucessive firing. Fortunately, there are not many commercial loadings that reach that point. Which ones do vs. which ones don't is something that I have no clue about. No matter who says what though, I'd still avoid the "Lite-Magnum" loadings like the plague.

Personally, I keep all my M1 and M1A loads as close to GI spec as I can.

Just my 2 bits......

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

Score 774-26x

studman5578
December 12, 2009, 11:08 AM
do any of you guys load for the M1? are there special load books and data available specifically for the M1?

Logs
December 12, 2009, 11:17 AM
Great looking Rifle congrats. NICE STOCK.

Swampy1
December 12, 2009, 11:21 AM
do any of you guys load for the M1? are there special load books and data available specifically for the M1?

Just follow the two "M1 Gas System Safe Load Rules" passed from the tech weenies of Springfield Armory (The REAL one.) to the NRA way back in the 50's. This was when M1 rifles were first being made available to civilian Highpower shooters who were using non GI ammo.

1) NEVER load bullets HEAVIER than 180 grains.
2) NEVER load powder that is SLOWER than IMR-4320

Any published load that meets those two rules is fine in the M1.

Having said that, I think both Hodgdon and Accurate powder manuals have specific data for the M1 rifle.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

Score 774-26x

Beentown71
December 12, 2009, 11:26 AM
The CMP is a great idea and deal IMHO. Wish there were more things like this going on.

Beentown

olyinaz
December 12, 2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks Swampy! Sadly I actually knew both of those details but I let my attention to detail slip and that's not cool when people are looking for information. I appreciate the correction and I'll try to take more time to write information correctly if I'm going to in the first place!

Regarding powders and modern loadings, I think it might be interesting to add that one of the reasons why velocities have been steadily increasing over the years, despite keeping loadings well within SAAMI spec, is because the advent of new powders and even duplex powder loadings keep the pressure up in the barrel over a longer period of time. (We sometimes see this effort as massive muzzle blast out of shorter barrels but that's not a good indication, just a sometimes side effect.) Leading edge companies like Hornady are particularly skilled at this sort of thing and some of their new loadings are nothing short of amazing to me.

With this in mind I'm looking for some feedback on something. To my knowledge the new "Light Magnum" loadings are no different than any .30-06 loading in that they fall well within safe SAAMI specs correct? As long as one is using (and has properly worked up the correct bleed opening per the directions) one of the adjustable gas plugs like the Schuster there should be no problem whatsoever with shooting any modern .30-06 loading in an M1 Garand no? After all, the rifle is fully capable of handling SAAMI spec pressures in the breach, bolt face, action etc. correct?

Thanks!

Oly

olyinaz
December 12, 2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, I like the stock as well!

Regarding the one month processing-to-ship time - that got me in some hot water! I had not planned to get this rifle until next spring!!

Best,
Oly

az_imuth
December 12, 2009, 01:13 PM
That is a fantastic looking Garand. I'm also betting it will be a fine shooter.

Congrats!

Psychlopath
December 12, 2009, 01:47 PM
Great buy there.

Mine arrived not long ago and is anxiously awaiting me to get there to inspect it.

I'm giddy with anticipation.

Swampy1
December 12, 2009, 01:53 PM
As long as one is using (and has properly worked up the correct bleed opening per the directions) one of the adjustable gas plugs like the Schuster there should be no problem whatsoever with shooting any modern .30-06 loading in an M1 Garand no? After all, the rifle is fully capable of handling SAAMI spec pressures in the breach, bolt face, action etc. correct?

Yes.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

Score 774-26x

Relentless Pursuit
December 13, 2009, 02:06 PM
Partial to the Garand myself,for giggles.............

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/HeapFunB.jpg

horatioo
December 13, 2009, 06:17 PM
that's a cool picture with the Garand on top of all the ammo. :) I didn't notice the ammo the first time I saw the picture.

Relentless Pursuit
December 13, 2009, 06:22 PM
That old Winny Garand,shoots fair to middlin' with good fodder.............