PDA

View Full Version : Ar-15 scout scope ideas

wideglider03
December 9, 2009, 09:37 PM
was wondering if anyone had ideas or maybe something they did for a stock AR with carry handle and stock sights. can you use a forward scout mount on the carry handle and still use the sights if a Leupold or similar scout scope was used. looking for some magnification. but would still like to use iron sights, maybe holographic? thanks

sailskidrive
December 9, 2009, 09:51 PM
An Aimpoint red dot is probably the most popular option or a small 4x fixed power scope. Several of the lower end manufacturers make shorter tube length, mid power scopes specifically for the AR.

It would help if you stated your price range.

~Sail

AK103K
December 9, 2009, 10:48 PM
Your not going to be able to use the sights through a scope with magnification. Works well with a red dot though.

ARMS has these dog leg rails for the carry handle rifles that should be close to what your looking for in the way of a mount if you go the red dot route.

http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=mounts&id=[hsh]39

wideglider03
December 10, 2009, 08:48 PM
maybe it would be cheaper to just buy a new flat top receiver and use an eotech and flip up rear, than to buy a scout mount and not like it.I have a friend who has the set up to switch my barrel to another receiver. I'll have to keep looking around.Ammo is #1 priority right now. thanks for the ideas

mozambique505
December 11, 2009, 12:42 AM
if you shoot an eotech use a bc cam mount. you will be able to see the a2 sights in the bottom third of the sight glass. the bc cam mount is adjustable in hieght. in the other mounts i've used you can't co-wittness.

Jimro
December 11, 2009, 01:07 AM
A carry handle mounted optic can allow you to use the stock sights. I picked up a cheap NCStar 4x22 optic to play around with and abuse (forty bucks) and was pleasantly surprised that it allows me to use the irons I've already zeroed for M855 62 gr ammo. The 55 gr BDC turret will let me have two zeros on the rifle (for at least as long as the scope holds up).

An Aimpoint mounted on the "gooseneck" will co-witness with your iron sights. I used that setup to make hits out past 600 meters with the iron sights, and could turn on the Aimpoint at any time for "low light" target aquisition.

Jimro