PDA

View Full Version : M1A Magazines

turbotype87
December 5, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hello Fellow forum readers, A quick question for you all, Does anyone know where i can get good magazines for my M1A? And do they make a 30rnd mag as well? thanks

Dfariswheel
December 5, 2009, 08:38 PM
Good magazines are pretty much where you find them.
There's a lot of junk around, much of it commercial crap.

Most good military magazines are gone, and a lot you do see are clapped out old mags that are worn.

The Korean military made magazines seem to not have a good rep.
I don't think anyone ever made a 30 round mag for the M14-M1A.

A good source for mags is to watch the gun auction sites, or advertise in the gun forum "Wanted" areas.
Do some research to know what to look for and what to look out for.

B. Lahey
December 5, 2009, 08:54 PM
The CMI mags are ok. They make the "springfield" mags that come with the M1A. They have the current US military contract.

Functional and fairly cheap. Their 25rd mags work fine also.

http://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1318

FALPhil
December 5, 2009, 09:22 PM
+1 on the CMI mags. I have some of the Korean surplus, too. You can find them occasionally. The Korean mags are made on the same machinery that that made the M14 mags for the US military.

Desertguns
December 6, 2009, 05:11 AM
Turbo: 44mag.com is a good site, CheckMate Industries (CMI) makes Springfield's M1A mags, about 21 bucks for a 20-rounder, and $25 for a 25 rounder. Never seen a 30-rd mag. Never had a problem with the CMI mags, I've got 6 20's and 4 25's, and I've shot at least 100 rounds from each, no problems. Occasionaly, you can find a Winchester mag, the phosphate finish on mine is thick and really dark-grey, almost like there's too much coating on it. Fits tight in the mag-well, but haven't had any problems with that one either, but it was $40 at my local gun store (that's before I met 44mag.com).:)

(Winchesters were generally marked with a single "W" on the spine of the mag, from what I've read on previous posts here -mine is)

madcratebuilder
December 6, 2009, 11:25 AM
CMI are the best you can buy new, old usgi if you can find them in good condition. Most of the ones I see at gun shows are about worn out. I have about a dozen CMI's and no problems at all with them. 44mag.com is the best price in town.

Mark whiz
December 6, 2009, 10:46 PM
The 1 thing to look for on M1A Mags is the welded on lug. If a Mag has just a raised bump in the metal instead of a welded lug - it's junk.

As far as a 30rd Mag goes, YES they have been made as I have one. I think is was made by Pro-Mag and yes it has the bump rather than the welded lug.........................not great for shooting but it looks pretty kewl. :cool:

Sodbuster
December 6, 2009, 11:15 PM
I've bought a few from Cole Distributing, but it's been awhile and I don't know what they have on hand right now. Not familiar with the other two sites given. Anyone purchased from Cole lately?

TimM
December 7, 2009, 12:00 AM
CDNN has 10, 20 and 25 round M1A mags. For around $14 to boot.

sholling
December 7, 2009, 12:15 AM
+1 for 44mag.com.

SR420
December 7, 2009, 02:40 AM
The 20 & 25 round CMI/USGI M14 mags are great.
44MAG.com is the best deal in town for CMI mags.

LoneStarWings
December 7, 2009, 02:56 AM
The 20 round mags from CMI are fine.

I had a bad experiece with their 25 round magazines, but maybe I just had a bad batch. Anyway, they wouldn't work reliably if you loaded them to 25. The follower would nose dive on the 2nd, 4th, and sometimes 6th round, jamming the rifle by wedging a round between the bolt face and front of the mag. Why this only happened on the left side of the mag stack I'm not sure, but my USGI 20's and Springfield supplied 10 seem to work perfect. The 25's work fine with 20 or less, but you might as well have the 20's in that case. I just sent 12 of my 25 rounders back to 44mag which they offered to exchange for 20 rounders, so good customer service at least.

SR420
December 7, 2009, 03:09 AM
I read of a spring problem with the early 25s, how old were yours?

madcratebuilder
December 7, 2009, 10:35 AM

I read that some place too, maybe m14firingline, don't remember. Anyway I would think they well get it sorted out, I would like to have a few 25 rounders.

LoneStarWings
December 7, 2009, 10:47 AM

I got them from 44mag about 8 months ago, but I didn't check the serial numbers or anything so I'm not sure when they were made. For awhile I thought they were great because I was never loading them to 25, and they worked fine with 20 or less. As soon as I started filling them up consistently, I got the problem with 8 different mags (4 of them I never even opened). But...like I said they're exchanging them for 20 round mags (hopefully) so I'm not going to complain too much.

azredhawk44
December 7, 2009, 11:02 AM
Another +1 for Checkmate Magazines. Much better to spend $20 on a 20 round mag, than $40 for the same mag from Springfield. It is identical except for the branding stamp.

Another good mag is the Taiwanese T-57 magazines. These were made on USGI machinery given to Taiwan when they adopted the M14 rifle. The mags are blued rather than parkerized, however. I have two of these and they work great. I like the feel of them in-hand better than the parkerized ones and they are my "range" mags and first two go-to mags as a result.

AWMP
December 8, 2009, 08:11 AM
44mag.com is where I have purchased all my M1A mags, 10 and 20 rounders, never a problem

mesabi
December 8, 2009, 03:50 PM
No personal experience, but from what I have read about aftermarket vs. Springfield Armory/ USGI mags, you will got what you pay for. Springfield Armory got the highest rating, they also recomended USGI mags if you can come across real ones not knock offs.

SR420
December 8, 2009, 05:09 PM
mesabi, CMI makes the mags Springfield uses and they also make the current crop of USGI mags... they are the same.

Original USGI mags are great, but the market is flooded with counterfeit mags - buyer beware.

turbotype87
December 10, 2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks to all who responed to my post. Alot of good info, Just wondering if anyone has any magazines used by Promag? And if so, any problems with them? thanks again

azredhawk44
December 10, 2009, 05:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any magazines used by Promag? And if so, any problems with them? thanks again

Run, screaming, the opposite direction, from anyone trying to sell you promags. They are not your friend. Unless you deliberately want one for malfunction clearing drills.

stellite
December 10, 2009, 07:00 PM
Where do you get 5 rounders? For hunting

Also, my brother in law gave me several mags that he had stored since he came back from vietnam. What are the chances these will even work? I don't even have an M1a yet..lol

SR420
December 10, 2009, 07:14 PM
my brother in law gave me several mags that he had stored since he came back from vietnam

I am sure they will work, but I would stash the old USGI mags and buy & use new CMI mags.
The Vietnam era mags are valuable and hard to find.

Desertguns
December 11, 2009, 02:24 AM
Stellite:
Got a pair of 5-rounders (hunting) from 44mag.com, occasionally they will have new, but I got the ones with "slight rust" - at a greatly reduced cost. They are CMI mags, and it took all of five minutes total to scrub the surface rust off from around the lugs - Wow - good as new, and no malfunctions yet (only 50 rounds through each so far).

stellite
December 11, 2009, 08:00 AM
sr420, desertguns,
thanks, will do on the old mags. I also have an old fiberglass stock with the cutout on the right side. it has the metal plate and hidden compartment is brownish. Any info on what this thing is, definitely an m1a stock, but it's been in my basement for nearly 20 years?

madcratebuilder
December 11, 2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks to all who responed to my post. Alot of good info, Just wondering if anyone has any magazines used by Promag? And if so, any problems with them? thanks again

Projams, er... I mean Promags, avoid at all costs. I suppose you can make them work, sooner or later.

Sasquatch in MN
December 11, 2009, 12:09 PM
Someone has posted that Winchester mags had a single W on the spine. This is not correct as the W marked mags are Westinghouse Electric and we have some available on the magazine page at www.RCArms.com

The Winchester mags are marked OM or -W- with the line passing through the W

Don