PDA

View Full Version : help me interpret this garand op rod test

knights_armorer
December 3, 2009, 10:01 AM
this is a little op rod test from "The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck and Clint Mckee. it refers to a little test of the op rod and its position at rest, in battery, with an empty chamber. (on a completed rifle of course)

also, it does not specify, but i believe this test is meant to be conducted with the rifle right side up, and level (as it would be if it were being pointed down range.

and i quote:

"be sure the op rod has remained centered. check for op rod binding in the stock forend and both handguards."

"push straight down on the op rod handle and "snap" release the handle. the handle should spring back up to its original position. this is known as a "live rod", indicating that the op rod is not binding on the rear handguard or stock."

now,,,,,,,,does this mean that when at rest, in battery, the op rod should ideally rest on the upper bearing surface of the op rod track?

ps. i ask because mine rests quite firmly in the "upward" manner, and when holding the rifle level and flat, i can push down on the handle and it does in fact move down a bit (maybe .050" or less.) then springs back up when released.

Bart B.
December 3, 2009, 10:56 AM
First, pull the op rod back until it locks the bolt in its open position. Then pull the op rod back a bit, depress the follower and let the bolt override it half an inch, then release the op rod so it pushes the bolt forward and locks it into battery; all without any human assistance. The objective is to get the op rod and bolt in perfect firing position.

Second, with the bolt and op rod in battery (closed and ready to fire and the hammer cocked), rifle horizontal and upright, the best test is to gently push up on the op rod handle. If there's any noticable movement upward at the tip of the op rod handle, the op rod's not quite properly fit. The op rod's not quite bent correctly to get a perfect fit.

As there's very few folks who have the skills, knowledge and tools to bend and fit Garand op rods correctly, you have two choices. Leave it alone and accept the accuracy you get. Or, send the rifle to someone who does. There's probably 3 or 4 people I know of who do this right. If you want, I'll email you the names of those who do.

Most Garand shooters feel that once the op rod and bolt's closed on a live round, it helps to give the op rod an additional bump forward on its handle. This is guaranteed to cause accuracy problems, but most folks won't notice it as their rifle, ammo and shooting skills will mask it. Best advice is to let the bolt slam home then shoot it as it is.