PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a BAR

Texased
December 1, 2009, 08:29 PM
Looking at the BAR. Have to decide on if I want the BOSS or iron sights. I will be shooting deer, elk and Russian boar. For the rifle I want I can only get this older model NIB in a magnum 300 Win or 7mm Rem. I don't reload as of now.
What do you think of the rifle in a magnum and your thoughts on the BOSS system relating to this rifle. Also if you have owned a rifle like this how accurate has it been...good or bad with or without the BOSS. Thanks

Horseman
December 1, 2009, 08:32 PM
I've got a 7mmRM with BOSS. It's very accurate when the BOSS is tuned. I used to own a non-BOSS version in the early 90's. It shot well too. If I were doing it over I'd skip the BOSS. They are plenty accurate without it. If you get the BOSS get the CR tip so it won't be any louder than a non-BOSS model. The BOSS does work though.

Abel
December 2, 2009, 07:13 AM
In my opinion, the BOSS is just a gimmick. Finding the ammo that your rifle likes is a better substitute....and the gun looks better without it. The BOSS system looks like the old Poly-Choke. For some folks, that's a big deal, especially when the gun shoots well without it. Also, the BOSS is LOUD! 7mm Remington Mag is a good choice I think. Very manageable recoil out of an auto, and more than enough for all that you will hunt. In fact, I'd go with the 30-06.

Horseman
December 2, 2009, 11:49 AM
In my opinion, the BOSS is just a gimmick. Finding the ammo that your rifle likes is a better substitute....and the gun looks better without it. The BOSS system looks like the old Poly-Choke. For some folks, that's a big deal, especially when the gun shoots well without it. Also, the BOSS is LOUD! 7mm Remington Mag is a good choice I think. Very manageable recoil out of an auto, and more than enough for all that you will hunt. In fact, I'd go with the 30-06.

No offense but I respectfully disagree. First....the BOSS is NOT a gimmick. It tunes the barrel as advertised. Matching ammo is always good but a BOSS equipped rifle can usually do it better. Second.....the BOSS has been available with a CR tip for over 10 years now. This "Conventional Recoil" version has no porting and is no louder than any other rifle.

I personally don't run them because of looks, but the BOSS does work as advertised. A gimmick it aint.

Freakdaddy
December 2, 2009, 12:37 PM
I agree 100% with Horseman. I have a BAR in a .270 with the BOSS and it's amazing what the accuracy will do. With the Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips, I can put 5 shots touching at 100 yards. This is just using the recommended "Sweet Spot" suggested from the factory. A friend just picked one up yesterday in the .300 WSM and he is also getting shots touching but I don't know the yardage he was shooting at. The BOSS does exactly like it states and although not streamlined, it's "pretty" in performance and I will always opt for it if available. It is loud but when hunting and shooting at game you won't notice it. For me, it's worth having the extra recoil reduction feature if you need to make a quick follow-up shot as opposed to reduced muzzle blast in the field. As a matter of fact, I hope to pick up a BAR in 7mm next year and it will definitely have the BOSS so that's the one I'd pick.

GeauxTide
December 2, 2009, 01:15 PM
I had a 7mmRM when they first came available in the 70's. It was very accurate, recoil was soft, but the weight was 9# with a scope. Don't like the BOSS.

ARDogman
December 2, 2009, 01:39 PM
I have an old one in 30-06 without the BOSS. It's not very accurate in comparison with my bolt .270, but it's definitely deer accurate. I'm very happy with it, fit and finish is great.

stellite
December 2, 2009, 06:39 PM
I had a BAR in 338 wm without BOSS and it was very accurate out to 400 yards. A friend of mine had one in 300 wm and he made a 700+ yard hit on an Roosevelt elk across a valley in snow fall. Gun was extremely accurate and 300 is an incredibly accurate round.

BIGR
December 2, 2009, 07:41 PM
I have a Bar Mark II Safari in 30.06 and I have taken several whitetail deer with it. It will shoot as accurate as some of my bolt guns.

Retooferab
December 2, 2009, 07:48 PM
I have had two BARs and both were without boss and plenty accurate for .Close to as accurate as the bolt guns I own. It doesn't matter if you get the Boss Or not my bet is that you will get an accurate shooting gun no matter if you get boss or not.

BruceM
December 3, 2009, 10:29 AM
Regarding the BOSS, my feeling is that accuracy is something built into a rifle barrel, not added on to the end of it. My .30-06 BAR II w/o the BOSS is just as accurate as a number of turnbolt rifles I own. It will shoot around 1 moa with ammo it likes out of the box and doesn't send your eardrums meeting in the middle of your head when shooting it without "muffs" in hunting situations.

:)

Bruce

Horseman
December 3, 2009, 04:14 PM
my feeling is that accuracy is something built into a rifle barrel, not added on to the end of it.

Barrel tuners are not something the jury is still out on. They work. Go see the tuners on every benchrest rimfire rifle.

send your eardrums meeting in the middle of your head when shooting it without "muffs" in hunting situations.

Once again........the CR version of the BOSS is no louder than any other barrel. Loudness is not a valid argument against the BOSS. Browning offered this version over 10 years ago and they are widely available. And any inherent accuracy in the barrel will be enhanced by the BOSS. I don't like how they look but they work.

BruceM
December 5, 2009, 02:52 PM
"Once again........the CR version of the BOSS is no louder than any other barrel. Loudness is not a valid argument against the BOSS."

This is true. What you don't mention is that using the CR versions of the BOSS negates half of the design objective of the original version-the muzzle brake (recoil reduction). As for the accuracy part, I've have to respectfully disagree.

:)

Bruce

Horseman
December 5, 2009, 06:48 PM
As for the accuracy part, I've have to respectfully disagree.

What experience have you had that counters that of the satisfied BOSS owners?

The CR tip can installed before the hunt and use the ported version for range session/load development. Having the option DOES NOT "negate half of the design objective". Most people don't feel recoil when hunting anyway.

I'm not high on the BOSS by any means. I don't buy guns with the BOSS myself. I just think it's gotten an bad rap for noise when a lot of people don't know the CR version exists. For a hunting rifle Brownings's guns are more than accurate enough without the BOSS' enhanced accuracy.

BruceM
December 6, 2009, 04:44 AM
"What experience have you had that counters that of the satisfied BOSS owners?"

Use in the field and on the range. The argument is not whether there is a difference but whether the difference in significant. Further, what experience have the satisfied BOSS owners had which counters mine?

If my rifle will shoot 1 MOA or less without the BOSS, what practical difference can it make. I mean, we're not talking about taking a "moment of deer" rifle down to 2 MOA, we're talking a 25% reduction maybe and when the groups start getting below 1" in a medium to big game hunting rifle, the difference is moot for all intents and purposes. And for that, small reduction, you get to have that gnarb on the end of the bore. And I'm also sure that Browning/Winchester will be glad to know that the recoil reduction aspects of the BOSS are superfluous because hunters don't feel recoil. Armed with that fact, they should discontinue the original completely. The fact is that you don't see these types of devices dominating the market or even capturing a large share of it. If the benefits are so overwhelming, you would think the opposite would be true, especially in view of the fact that the system has been in existence for quite some time now.

Anyway...............

Bruce

Horseman
December 6, 2009, 07:47 AM
Use in the field and on the range. The argument is not whether there is a difference but whether the difference in significant. Further, what experience have the satisfied BOSS owners had which counters mine?

I was referring to the positive posts on this very thread.

If my rifle will shoot 1 MOA or less without the BOSS, what practical difference can it make. I mean, we're not talking about taking a "moment of deer" rifle down to 2 MOA, we're talking a 25% reduction maybe and when the groups start getting below 1" in a medium to big game hunting rifle, the difference is moot for all intents and purposes. And for that, small reduction, you get to have that gnarb on the end of the bore. And I'm also sure that Browning/Winchester will be glad to know that the recoil reduction aspects of the BOSS are superfluous because hunters don't feel recoil. Armed with that fact, they should discontinue the original completely. The fact is that you don't see these types of devices dominating the market or even capturing a large share of it. If the benefits are so overwhelming, you would think the opposite would be true, especially in view of the fact that the system has been in existence for quite some time now.

I agree with you here. The gain is not required to harvest game and Browning rifles are accurate enough without the BOSS. This is why I stated I don't buy BOSS guns anymore. This has been discussed here before and on the sister forum. It is generally accepted Browning made a mistake by not allowing other mfg's to use the BOSS with a licensing agreement. By keeping the BOSS on only Browning(& some M70's) they basically drew a line in the sand and differentiated themselves from all other rifles. It worked good in '95 when the BOSS was new and exciting. People were trading in everything to get their hands on a BOSS rifle. But as time went on it's uniqueness forced shooters to decide if they truly believed that BOSS made everything else in the cabinet obsolete. Sentiment and an upcoming lust from "classic" rifles in the late 90's steered many shooters back to non BOSS guns. This is how I saw it.

noyes
December 6, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hand loader , tunes ammo to gun.
Boss tunes gun to ammo.

James R. Burke
December 6, 2009, 03:56 PM
I had a rifle with the Boss on it. It worked great. When it was tuned it could really shoot some nice groups. I dont have it anymore. Since then I started reloading. This has been along time ago when they first came out. I belive I can get just has good or better with the reloading. Even without the reloading I dont think I would get it again. Just myself I think it does take away from the looks of the rifle, something else to mess with if you change grains , and around you it was extremly loud.

BIGR
December 7, 2009, 10:26 AM
You guys have me thinking about one of the new Browning Bar Rifles such as the BAR ShortTrac, Left Hand, Oil Finish. Yeap its got a nickle reciever and a blued barrel. Nickle reciever might be more wether resistant I don't know. If they made a stainless Bar or semi auto I would line up to buy beacuse I do hunt in some harsh weather, but thats generally the time to pull out the bolt gun.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=002B&cat_id=031&type_id=535

Only reason I would consider one is I shoot long guns left handed and dang it, like always I want something different. Anyone have any experience with the Bar shorttrac or longtrac guns? Next thing would be to decide which caliber to with? Decisons decisions decisions.

Also thought about the Benelli R1 but thats alot of dang money and its right hand only.

Horseman
December 7, 2009, 02:37 PM
Don't worry about the nickel finish on the BAR short and longtrac. The receivers on those are aluminum alloy so they will not rust either way. I've not heard much about them and I believe none of the BAR's are flying off the shelf these days. The longtrac I shot was a good shooter. It was in the 1"-1 1/4" range with factory federal ammo.

BusGunner007
December 7, 2009, 03:30 PM
I have ONE Browning BAR / B.O.S.S. + C.R. in 7mm Rem.Mag.
I love it. Shoots great and I've never played too much with the BOSS other than to put the CR piece on it because it is louder with the original muzzle-brake device.
The idea of the BOSS is good and valid in its performance.
For those that don't handload, it is a viable choice.

Browning has made both the A-Bolt in .375 H&H and the BAR MkII with SIGHTS & BOSS combined.
The bolt-action is available in the U.S.; the BAR like that is Euro.

In the OP's quest, either cartridge or configuration would seem to be OK.
I'd love to add the sights to my BOSS 7; you know, 'get both!!!' :D

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10609BAR_MKII_EURO_BOSS-SIGHTS.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10609BROWNING_BAR_MKII_SAFARI_BOSS_SIGHTS.jpg

MINE:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/10609BM007_BROWNING_BAR-BOSS_7MM_R_L.jpg

7mm Rem.Mag.
Leupold 4.5-14x40/ 6" sunshade/ StoneyPoint target turrets.
Millett Angle-Loc base/'engraved' rings.
B-SQUARE Roto-Tilt Match bipod.
Bell & Carlson 2-pc. stock set.
Browning X-cellerator sling.
Browning hearing protection.

Clark
December 7, 2009, 05:18 PM
I have a BAR in 338WM and two in 300WM.

I see the BOSS as tuning the barrel to the ammo.
I can handload to tune the ammo to the barrel, if I choose.

I have taken the recoil compensator off many of my barrels, because I don't like the extra noise.