PDA

View Full Version : The M1 Garand

PearlJamNoCode
November 28, 2009, 11:17 PM
I am currently considering purchasing a service grade M1 Garand from the CMP. Currently I own a .22 Henry rifle and a 1916 DMW Luger. I have a basic knowledge of firearms use, safety, and operation, but I would like to know more about how the M1 works before I really invest in one. I am looking for any real good references to read about the operation and use of an M1.

Any words of advice from people who own or have purchased through the CMP?

Thanks!

SheepNutz
November 28, 2009, 11:38 PM
I don't own one (I wish), but you can find some really good M1 Garand videos on youtube.

the rifleer
November 28, 2009, 11:41 PM
ya, just dont bump fire it on the first time you shoot it... there are good and bad youtube vids...

I've never shot one, but i wish i had one. its a great rifle.

hodaka
November 28, 2009, 11:48 PM
The CMP web site and their forums are a good place to get M1 info. I bought one this year and it has turned into my favorite rifle.

Sasquatch in MN
November 28, 2009, 11:50 PM
The M1 Garand is the primary focus of my collection and I fire them at every opportunity.

If you qualify to purchase through the CMP, purrchase the best grade you can afford. They are all servicable rifles, but the service grades and above will have the greatest potential of accuracy.

Purchasing outside of the CMP offers the distinct advantage of seeing the actual firearm you are considering.

If you would like to discuss further, I can be reached by e-mail.

Don

LukeA
November 28, 2009, 11:55 PM
Purchasing outside of the CMP offers the distinct advantage of seeing the actual firearm you are considering.

Unless you live within driving distance of either of the CMP store locations.

dmazur
November 29, 2009, 12:11 AM
Here's a link to a site about shooting/collecting surplus rifles. The link is to the Garand, but they cover a lot of different rifles...

surplusrifle.com (http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/index.asp)

Regarding references about the operation and use of an M1, one of the better books is "The M1 Garand Owner's Guide", by Scott Duff.

bamaranger
November 29, 2009, 12:52 AM
Lots of good advice here already. I would definitely NOT buy an M1 through your local pawn broker or off the rack somewhere 'till you know a bit more about M1's.

CMP purchase is excellent advice, even better if you can "road trip" and see the goods for yourself. They gauge and inspect the rifles and that helps you to avoid clunkers. Get familiar w/ their purchase requirements and get one!!!

PearlJamNoCode
November 29, 2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks for all the quick replies!

I've done some homework already on the CMP and the sales requirements. If I decide to purchase an M1 I'd definitely get one through them. I'm too far from a store, so I'd have to mail order it. This would be a joint purchase between my grandfather and I, as he meets all the requirements and I meet 2 of the 3 major ones (I've never participated in competition).

10-96
November 29, 2009, 07:10 AM
+1 on what Bamaranger said. Study up on 'em before you jump in. I thought I studied everything and had a firm grip on things until I bought my first rifle. Now it seems I have a very-very well done re-weld complete with a 2-groove barrel. (sorry part is that it was the most accurate of the bunch before I found out what I had and retired it!)

RT
November 29, 2009, 08:25 AM
Duff's book- http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-M1-Garand/Scott-A-Duff/e/9781888722031

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n443/thorm001/Guns/IMG_0008.jpg

My advice is to ONLY buy from the CMP (don't waste time with gunshops or shows) and send your money in ASAP.

lockedcj7
November 29, 2009, 09:14 AM
I've bought three through the CMP and have yet to be disappointed. All three have been 'service grade' and all were mail-ordered. I mixed and matched parts between the three to get one that looks great and shoots even better. Read the requirements carefully. You don't need to compete to qualify. Membership in the Garand Collector's Association fulfills that requirement. A carry permit (usually) or DD214 prove training and proficiency with firearms.

FWIW- I just saw one on a rack at a pawn shop for $1500. It would have been 'rack grade' at best.

olyinaz
November 29, 2009, 10:52 AM
The other good thing about the CMP rifles is that they have no import stamp. They had Garands at my local Big 5 this Friday for $599 and they all went fast but sheesh, what a bunch of pigs they were (I went just to see if any were Winchesters). For the same money you'll get a CORRECT Garand from the CMP.

Mine shoots wonderfully in its' new CMP stock and I've got another on the way.

Best,
Oly

olyinaz
November 29, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hey RT - you're Springfield is even lower serial # than mine. I've got one in the 600,000s. :)

Best,
Oly

sc928porsche
November 29, 2009, 10:54 AM
I have 2.....one that my father carried throughout the pacific, and the other that I purchaced in a pawn shop in the very late 60's. They are fine weapons and accurate. Dads is in a glass case and taken out just a couple of times a year for a couple of rounds and thorough cleaning. When I go, It will go to my grandson.

kraigwy
November 29, 2009, 11:06 AM
I am looking for any real good references to read about the operation and use of an M1.

When you order your garand, or before if you can, get some manuels on the Garand from the CMP Bookstore. Lots of good book and manuels on the Garand out there, but its hard to beat the price from the CMP.

One thing to understand about buying a M1 or any other gun from the CMP is they inspect and test every gun before the put them on the sales rack. You are gonna get a shooter right out of the box.

I got my CMP (then DCM) M1 in 81-82 when they were delevered for $112.70. Mine arrived on a thursday, I was scheduled to go to hawii that next day to shoot a rifle match for the NG. I said WTH. I stole some M72 ('06 match) from the Air Guard, and left my M14 home. The first shot out of my Garand was the Sighter Shot on the 200 yard line during the Off Hand stage. If I remember right I shot a pretty respectable score during that match.

I'll never forget that match. In switching our my M14 stuff and replacing it with the M1 equip. I left out my firm grip. Ended up buying some spray athesih (sp). After the sighters at the 300 RF stage, and they said SHOOTERS RISE, the mat came up with me, took three people to peel it off so we could shoot the stage. But I guess you cant blame that on the M1.

Flatbush Harry
November 29, 2009, 11:19 AM
CMP offers two distinct advantages:

1. The M1s you get from them are inspected, headspaced and, as necessary, repaired...you'll know what you get
2. if you have a problem, they'll provide the best customer service I have ever experienced

Mine have been superb.

FH

PearlJamNoCode
November 29, 2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone.... sounds like I can't go wrong with the CMP. Great price and customer service.... 2 of the reasons I own a Henry rifle.

I'm going to buy a manual or 2 from the CMP today and hit the books.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what is headspace? I see that term thrown around a lot when talking about the M1.

bigghoss
November 29, 2009, 01:02 PM
I'm bummed out because big 5 had a black friday sale and had m1's for $599. I missed the last one by about 2 hours the clerk said.:(

Dan K. Evans
November 29, 2009, 03:12 PM
Maybe I should have gone with CMP. Rather, I bought a Garand (1941 Springfield Armory) from SOG two years ago. The wood and metal are OK. I cleaned it all spotless. But lots of problems with the action. I have had the op rod reworked, then replaced with a new one, new springs all around and each time firing it to see if all was OK. Not OK. Now it fires but the en bloc clip exjects early, generally after the third or fourth round. So, the advice was to replace the clip latch spring. I did. Still ejects early. Try different en blocs. Did so. Fired it - same problem. Bullet guide? Replaced it. Lastly, I have replaced the clip latch. I hope to fire it this weekend. I really want this M1. I like it because it is old, it has has been around, and I fired a similar one while in the Army in the 1960s. Also, I have a good amount of surplus ammo. Any advice from experienced Garand owners? Thanks.

Ozzieman
November 29, 2009, 03:16 PM
I have owned two from CMP and agree with others here. It is the best place to get your first M1.
Also there will be more available soon, but where I have no idea.
I want one of the Carbines they talk about.
One suggestion, remember that the M1 Grand does NOT like commercial 30-06, it’s hard on the gun. If you shoot commercial get an adjustable gas port screw, they only cost $35.

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/09/23/south-korea-to-sell-108000-garand-rifles-to-us-gun-collectors/

Flatbush Harry
November 29, 2009, 03:59 PM
Maybe I should have gone with CMP. Rather, I bought a Garand (1941 Springfield Armory) from SOG two years ago. The wood and metal are OK. I cleaned it all spotless. But lots of problems with the action. I have had the op rod reworked, then replaced with a new one, new springs all around and each time firing it to see if all was OK. Not OK. Now it fires but the en bloc clip exjects early, generally after the third or fourth round. So, the advice was to replace the clip latch spring. I did. Still ejects early. Try different en blocs. Did so. Fired it - same problem. Bullet guide? Replaced it. Lastly, I have replaced the clip latch. I hope to fire it this weekend. I really want this M1. I like it because it is old, it has has been around, and I fired a similar one while in the Army in the 1960s. Also, I have a good amount of surplus ammo. Any advice from experienced Garand owners? Thanks.

You'll want this rifle inspected and, as necessary fixed or refurbed by a qualified armorer. Fulton Armory, Tim Shufflin and Dean's Gun Restoration all fill the bill. Google them and good luck.

FH

Chris_B
November 29, 2009, 06:52 PM

The other edge of that sword is a good chance of the private party you purchased from NOT standing behind the rifle after purchase

Here's my all Springfield CMP M1 rifle, service grade. I could not be more pleased with the purchase. In fact I may take it out and clean it just to handle it; 1944 SA receiver 1946 SA barrel, USGI wood...it's a time machine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/M1black-1.jpg

Chris_B
November 29, 2009, 07:01 PM

The US Army Technical Manual will address all those issues for you with advice that was rock solid for the US Army from before WWII through after Korea :)

You replaced the clip latch, so my 2 cents says you're good to go. Of course, if any of the parts you swapped in were worn or not to USGI spec, then all bets are off

Good luck and keep your chin up. The M1 is rugged, you can fix it

stellite
November 29, 2009, 07:30 PM
what is the current good price for a service grade M1. I love the M1 as well, and have often considered getting one, but have never bit the bullet.

Sasquatch in MN
November 29, 2009, 09:16 PM
It cuts both ways.

The CMP offers US Military rebuilt rifles at very attractive prices. Expect mixed manufacturers parts and arsneal re-finishes as well as aftermarket stocks on some of the service grades. While the rifle will be servicable in all regards, some of the ones that I have received from the CMP have been dog ugly.

Any original condition, rare configuration, or IHC and WRA rifles will be sold at the CMP Auction rather than being sold as standard rifles as they were in the past, so luck of the draw will NEVER get you a rare bird or collector grade from the CMP like it used to.

Purchasing from outside indiuviduals offers the advantage of seeing and/or inspecting the rifle before purchasing. No luck of the draw and you know exactly what you are purchasing before money changes hands. About half my personal Garand collection has been purchased from private parties on forum boards and auction sites. Stick with reputable folks with published return policies and good feedback and you'll likely never be burned. Ask questions and follow up is needed. If they dont answer to your satisfaction, keep on looking.

GREAT example.

Here is a rifle I am selling. It's a CMP rifle that I purchased solely for the stock set. I replaced it with an unmarked USGI birch set (and disclosed that fact in my description). There is NO question what you are getting for your money and I accept returns if you are not satisfied (shipping is on the buyer though). There are excellent values to be had from individuals and businesses that have good reputations, so do not rule them our simply because they are not the CMP.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ddr223/7927%20SA%20671624/7927-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ddr223/7927%20SA%20671624/7927-15.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ddr223/7927%20SA%20671624/7927-16.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ddr223/7927%20SA%20671624/7927-3.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ddr223/7927%20SA%20671624/

mlun55
November 30, 2009, 05:13 PM
I bought the Army Field Manual (FM 23-5) at a gun show for a few dollars. Best think I ever read. Have fixed several problems with my M1 Garand such as rounds not feeding correctly, all by reading the manual. Here is a site that I use to download lots of military publications. I did check, and the FM 23-5 manual is on the site.

http://www.again.net/~steve/page7c.htm Go to home page and at bottom click firearms and then scroll down to link to Military Field Manuals...little tricky navigating the website, but once you're there you can find most manuals for free. I tried to upload it for you but it is 3 MB and failed. If you email me, I will send you the file.

Good Luck...you'll love the gun and it gets great attention at the range....

Flatbush Harry
November 30, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hey Sasquatch,

Did you read the statement you agreed to in the CMP paperwork? You know, the one you agreed to that says you're buying the rifle for your personal use and not for resale...that one.

It's really tacky to brag about what you're doing...indeed, if CMP knew what you were doing, you might well make it to their special list.

:barf:

FH

Sasquatch in MN
November 30, 2009, 07:02 PM
Flatbush Harry.

Before you rush to judge, you should really read the text of the post.

If you read into my original post you would have noticed that I said that I had purchased this rifle for the stock set. If it was purchased directly from the CMP there is no way I would have known what kind of stock was on it as their rifles are purely luck of the draw and unless on their auction site a buyer cannot see the rifle they are purchasing. I purchased this rifle from the original CMP purchaser who had elected to sell his rifle. Sorry if thats tacky in your eyes, but I look at it as bettering my collection.

While the CMP agreement stipulates that the rifles purchased from them are not for commercial disposition, the CMP Charter is to Promote the level of marksmanship within the general population. Once you purchase an item from the CMP (or any other entity for that matter), it becomes your personal property and as the owner you can do with it as you please, including selling it. You are not obligated to keep anything you purchase through the CMP and I've upgraded examples in my collection many times over during the past 25 years of collecting. It's a topic that has been beat to death in multiple forums.

You're making an assumption and drawing a conclusion that just isn't there.

Don

Flatbush Harry
November 30, 2009, 08:37 PM
Not sure, Sasquatch, although your comments are valid. I have 3 CMP Garands...a SA 5.4mm correct grade that I shoot and a 5.8mm SA, (seems to be factory proof only, MW<1, TE<1) and one of CMP's HRA Specials (apparently factory proof only in a new CMP Walnut stock). I'm going to go down to the South Store next year to pick a couple out after the latest Greek returns get processed. They'll get my stock of HXP as well as my reloading set-up.

I'll give my rifles, both fired and unfired to my son and son-in law...who also get to raid my gun safe if my wife can remember the combi.

Cheers,

FH

PS-I have 6 unfired guns, including an M!A, two Colt SAA's in .45 Colt, an AR15A2 and the afore mentioned two Garands. Seems a shame to pass away with unfired guns.

H