PDA

View Full Version : DPMS vs Rock River AR-15 -opinions please

plinkingdude253
November 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
I have a problem on my hands. I was dead set on building my own AR-15 with a DPMS 24" heavy upper with 1 in 8 twist. I went to the gun store to purchase a stripped lower and the the guy asked me what i would be doing with it... I told him about my UPPER choice and he said that DPMS was crap... I'm on a tight budget and could of built the Dpms for around 1050$.
He pointed me towards a Rock River Coyote 20" barreled gun that will be about 1300 after tax... Which i can stretch to but don't want to get any more expensive...
I am planning on shooting up to 600 yards and the rock river has a 1 in 9 twist, so that means the 77smk bullets probably won't work for it. Plus the barrel isn't as heavy as the DPMS.
Things i like about the Rock River is that its a lot lighter and more handy. Its not too bulky to use in the run and gun competitions. Has a flash hider...

QUESTIONS

NESHOOTER
November 27, 2009, 08:36 PM
You know the dpms barrel is chromed lined and from looking at the ar ap4 model the m-4 feed ramps could use more polishing the staking on the gas assy alittle weak but the nice thing is the heavy barrel and bolt not chromed but if it was I read that would outlast the barrel... the s&w mp-15 has alittle more attention to detail but the heavy barrel for use in taking varmints but the standard 16'' barrel w/flashhider can do the job as well but due to your wanting to throw heavier rounds go ahead and get the dpms and get some use as in all things you'll get the critters and still have a shtf rifle for home defense and can always up grade at a later time like we all have done....

B. Lahey
November 27, 2009, 08:41 PM
Those prices are too high. You can get a Colt for a lot less than he wants for that RRA. Yes, DPMS has a lot of problems, RRA has slightly fewer problems but is still far from the top shelf.

Shop around, you will find better rifles for less money.

(BH)
November 27, 2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah those prices sound waaayyy up there. I'd look around on the web. On my last purchase I spent about $1600 online, but if I'd have bought everything locally it would have come to around $2500.

I always prefer to support my local shops, but I'm not going to lose $900 because of that sentiment. I have bought at least one gun from all of the shops in my area, and most of my ammo comes from local stores (except .223 because it's 1/3 the price online). The point is I support them as much as I can, but it would take a fool to buy something anywhere for hundreds more than you would pay online.

Seriously, check out CDNN, Code 4 and other places like that. When it comes to AR's, the best way to go IMO is to try and find an online FFL that mostly a LE distributor and go through them.

To answer your question, and I don't claim to be an expert in any way, but I'd personally go with a RRA above a DPMS in most cases. However, I'd be satisfied with a DPMS also.

Any way you look at it, for the money you are looking to spend, you can get a much better gun than either of the above.

RT
November 27, 2009, 09:09 PM
Look here:
http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/94/116
http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/57/77
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-16-Recce-Upper-Groups-Mid-Length-s/132.htm
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1545

Catfish25p2000
November 27, 2009, 09:13 PM
Well, I really don't know what people have against DPMS aside from the fact that they cost less than RRA, but I have one of each (RRA and DPMS) and love them both. I really haven't noticed any difference in either of them. I have my DPMS all decked out and would never ever part with it. I love that gun!!! Don't be afraid for a second to go with DPMS. As far as I'm concerned its a Ford VS. Chevy kind of deal.

plinkingdude253
November 27, 2009, 09:27 PM
I think i solved my own problem. The RRA Predator pursuit rifle has a heavy barrel chrome and 1:8 twist. its also cheaper . The dealer could get it to me for about 1,060$ before tax which is about the same as your online stores it looks like. i think i prefer the 20" barrel over the 24" barrel.

...I think i forgot to mention that the RRA was for a full gun... not just the upper. and to make the complete AR-15 with the DPMS upper it would be about 1,050$...