PDA

View Full Version : Loose front sight

winter5470
November 19, 2009, 11:07 AM
I just replaced a broken front rifle sight on my remington 870 shotgun with an OEM remington replacement front rifle sight. It has a dove tail that pushes into a slot on the ramp. The old front sight had to be hammered out with a brass punch. The new sight is loose enough to slide with my fingers. Any thoughts on how to secure it? I don't know if there are shims or an adhesive available.
Thanks
Kurt

tINY
November 19, 2009, 02:15 PM
Shim stock is the right way.

-tINY

winter5470
November 19, 2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks
With what? Does someone make commerial shims?

CraigC
November 19, 2009, 02:50 PM
In which direction did you drift the front sight out of its slot? If you went from right to left, there's your problem. Dovetail slots are tapered so that the sight should drift in and out from the right side. You need a new front sight.

Palmetto-Pride
November 19, 2009, 03:12 PM
In which direction did you drift the front sight out of its slot? If you went from right to left, there's your problem. Dovetail slots are tapered so that the sight should drift in and out from the right side. You need a new front sight.

The new sight is loose enough to slide with my fingers.

Even if he pushed the old one out the wrong way, it still doesn't seem like the new one should be able to slide in with his fingers.

mapsjanhere
November 19, 2009, 04:12 PM
Places like MSC and McMaster-Carr have brass shim stock sets.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-shim-stock/=4kplff

buymore
November 19, 2009, 04:42 PM
You may be able to peen the edges of the dovetail over to tighten it up and then use red lok-tite. I twon't take much to get it tight. I just had to do the saem thing with my 1187 sight. Ironically, Remington's seem to have this problem alot! My friend had the same problem with his 1187 slug barrel also. I've salvaged several dovetails the same way and they've all held up fine. Good luck

Harry Bonar
November 19, 2009, 05:06 PM
Sir;
Put a gib in it.
Harry B.